back to article Brookhaven boffins boggle at baryons

It's a long way from being a “discovery”, but it's getting physicists excited: the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Lab is accumulating evidence that could point to so-called “strange” Baryons. Predicted by theory but never observed in the wild, the particles we're talking about are so named …

1. Julian Bradfield

Your description is rather misleading - it suggests, without quite saying, that strange baryons haven't been observed. It's certain heavier strange baryons, predicted by particular models, that haven't been observed - we've been playing around with strange (Sigma), doubly strange (Xi or Cascade) and triply strange (Omega) baryons for half a century.

1. Daedalus

It's hard to fault the Reg hacks, because the BNL release doesn't do a very good job of getting the pertinent facts up front. The known strange baryons do get a mention, but the release doesn't make the point that higher mass (i.e. higher energy) versions can exist as well as the ground states, just as an atom can be excited to higher states. I don't like the "freezing point" analogy at all. Better they should have said that the "temperature" at which ordinary hadrons melt into quark-gluon plasma is lower that it otherwise would be.

2. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

Sounds fascinating...

... even though I didn't understand a word of it! :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds fascinating...

Neither did I, but I'm not quite sure.

2. Chimp

I don't think it's real. There isn't a single use of the word 'quantum'.

1. mr.K
        Coat

Connecting this subject to quantum mechanics would be a leap.

Alright, alright, I am going.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

I don't think it's real. There isn't a single use of the word 'quantum'.

Para 7 starts off with "Quantum chronodynamics..."

3. Denarius
    Boffin

baryon bothering boffins busy

interesting anyway.

4. Chris G

Question

Will this knowledge contribute to making a better cup of tea? Or a better pint for that matter.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Question

No, but it may eventually help with more mundane things like lazors on sharks, lightsabers, warp drives, maybe even flying cars one day...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh, so relatively useless.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"...maybe even flying cars one day..."

Who in the hell would want that?!

They can't bloody drive on the ground, I'd hate to see the mess that the average idiot driver would do in the air.

And honestly, I put a roof on the house 10 years ago, I'm not in a hurry to replace it, along with the upper story of my home due to an idiot driver crashing above.

5. Scott Broukell

Further Question

Are such particles, henceforth, be known as 'Shit Pea Baryons' ? (we need answers)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like