back to article EE network whacked by 'PDP authentication failure' blunder

EE customers are struggling to access the mobile network. A number of subscribers have reported seeing "PDP authentication failure" error messages on their smartphones, but EE has yet to put out an official announcement about the tech blunder. It told one user in a muted tweet that the company was "aware of the issue and are …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wondered what was going on

Had this pop up a couple of times. Reset the phone and it appeared to be fine again. Just assumed it was my phone.

Wish these providers would do a status@gate type thing somewhere so we can see ongoing problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wondered what was going on

Ah, status@gate, that's a real blast from the past.

I shall raise you with a brief finger of post...

2. Paul Johnston
    Joke

PDP

Do they actually still use a PDP-11 at EE?

1. Stoneshop
      Go

Re: PDP

We've got a couple of authentic PDPs they can lease for the time being.

2. Rodrigo Valenzuela
      Coat

The really sad part for me is that was the first thing that I thought...

Man I'm getting old...

R

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Didn't you know? They use them to run their website

3. Steve 53

PDP

That would be Packet Data Protocol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_Data_Protocol#PDP_context

1. John Savard

Ah. When I saw that acronym, the first thing I thought of was the Digital Equipment Corporation Programmed Data Processor-8. The second thing I thought of was a spelling error for Pretty Good Privacy.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

I would have guessed a spelling error of PHP

4. slim mcslim
    Flame

works for me

for a change my EE is working on 4G without question. first time for everything I suppose...

EE is god awful, and I regret taking half of our business contracts over to them, was tempted by the 4G which is in our area, VODA's roll out plan gives us 4G in 2017 - but whilst the 4G is great for brief periods the piss poor connectivity the rest of the time on all services is just so bad.

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: works for me

Exactly the same experience as our organisation has found in a shift from Voda to EE. Whilst EE has more 3G/4G spread, the reliability of connected calls and *usable* data signal is very hit and miss. Never had such problems on Voda.

1. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

And me... exactly what we see. The phones report a good signal but it's unusable for data. Our phones also sometimes do voice, and that's hit and miss. In my office, the signal goes from 0 bars and no signal to full strength and back all day. It means that I can be in the middle of a call and get cut off.

2. auburnman
      Flame

I hypothesize (completely without anything better than anecdotal evidence I admit) that they made an absolute bollock of amalgamating the Orange & T-Mobile network infrastructure. The already less than stellar connectivity turned into a flat-out insult around that time.

5. ukgnome

This latest cock up has resulted in the following txt

Hello. The 4GEE phone plan you've moved to doesn't come with an inclusive add-on. You can buy a content add-on by visiting .......

Hmm I think they have not told the whole story.

6. wyatt

My experience of EE 4G in Cardiff was for my phone to go between 4G/3G/Edge every few minutes. The next day was pretty much the same. Great when it worked but not much use the rest of the time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a long-term fix for EE's problems:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/sim-only-deals/index.htm

1. Bodhi

Re: I have a long-term fix for EE's problems:

Strange. EE was my long term fix for Vodafone's problems of terrible customer service, flaky and slow data connections, silly roaming charges and complete inability to get reception indoors. 18 months in and it's been one of the best moves I've made.

YMMV, IMHO, etc etc

8. Phil W

Rare problem

I've been with EE about a year (on T-mobile for about 7 years prior to that) and this is the first problem there's been that has affected me.

No pop-ups or authentication messages for me though (Galaxy Note 3) just not data for an hour or 2. Wasn't a big deal for me though as I'm at work, so I was just briefly without data as I walked between buildings, WiFi everywhere else.

9. Nya

Don't even mention PAYG

Not just this issue. Orange (kind of connected) hasn't been able to authorise any new pay as you go SIM without a mountain of grief for the last few days. New SIM goes in, receive text message saying you'll receive a number and so forth in the next 24hrs. 72hrs later...nothing. Call Orange, can't talk to anyone unless you have a number (not yet given). So only able to talk to EE, who aren't best chuffed about discussing Orange issues, but in the end transfer you. Get through to someone, and Orange will then disconnect you. So back to EE, back to Orange again, and eventually get some poor bloke in India really ticked off at the number of these he's getting this week. He finally authorises the SIM, and gives you a number and a further 24hrs later ta da. A collection of working Orange SIM's. An utter waste of time at the moment though to deal with until they can get their back end sorted out.

1. Vimes

Re: Don't even mention PAYG

You could always try writing to the MD.

http://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=12015

ceoemail.com has always been useful for looking up email addresses for people like this in my experience.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wobbles on their website?

Given that the EE website seems to be broken half the time..well the my account area is pretty much borked most of time, I'm surprised anyone was able to detect any difference.

Frankly EE should be reported to advertising standards

1. TheWeenie
      FAIL

Re: wobbles on their website?

There's a reason we've nicknamed them "Nothing Nowhere".

11. cambsukguy

Thought this was the problem that started a couple of weeks ago

...for me that is.

After mucho escalation, a nice guy told me that the cell I was in at home appeared broken data-wise.

Of course, I use WiFi at home but data when out and about. The problem was, is, that going elsewhere (several elsewheres) and testing using an app rather than a browser gave me 0bps Dl and, often, 1+mbps uploads. HSUPA working but not HSDPA.

Having has this issue before, I manually selected the non 4G,3G,2G network they offer in Cambridge and voila! super speedy 13Mbps DL.

Trouble is, I don't want to manually select networks to get it to work, even limiting my phone to max 3G doesn't help (I am on Orange so I don't get fancy 4G service anyway).

So, two issues at the same time it seems, not good.

Mind you, seeing a friends O2 giving G and E often when I have 3G, H+ etc. tends to suggest that they really do have better actual coverage.

It they could just make it work better.

1. Vince

Re: Thought this was the problem that started a couple of weeks ago

"Mind you, seeing a friends O2 giving G and E often when I have 3G, H+ etc. tends to suggest that they really do have better actual coverage."

...No that sounds exactly like o2. They're not big on that Internet thing. They certainly don't do data. However, EE might give you the basic 3G (or "better") network, but it's not good so arguably no worse than o2 - at least they don't even pretend to have invested in the network.

12. Vince

Where's the fault exactly? I see no fault...

Sorry, but what exactly is wrong?

Everything the article describes & comments suggest sound like "business as usual" with EE. I believe if something is in a certain way the majority of the time (4 letters starts with p, ends with s and has an is in the middle, poor) it's no longer a failure, but "standard operation".

EE data is as pathetic as the customer "service" team that tried to make me believe my handset fault (which happened under warranty) was someone else's issue other than the EE store. Or as pathetic as being unable to get your roaming agreement charges correct in any month, ever, instead issuing invoices for £5K upwards when the bill should have been £60-£80

...or any of another zillion bad experiences with them.

It's very simple.

For 2G coverage, basic voice/text, o2 all the way (but really, forget data)

For that Internet thing, there's only 3.

For expensive and limited allowances and 3G in big areas, and 4G in a couple of them, Vodafone.

For not much of anything, go with nothing anywhere

13. unwarranted triumphalism

Coming to the end of my contract with EE...

Can't come too soon.

Apart from the creepy multiple phone calls (every day) begging me to stay with them, I'm a big fan of their habit of randomly dropping carrier on me, taking 5 minutes to load web pages, and responding to all attempts to send email from my smartphone with an SMTP error messgae in French.

A colleague has recommended GiffGaff - any good?

14. davidp231

Irony

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/13/ofcom_rootmetics_voice_testing/

Here OFCOM are praising UK mobile coverage...

15. Wisteela

I've heard lots of bad stuff about EE. I'm so glad I'm with Three. That works really well most of the time, and in most locations.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haven't seen this specific error....

But today my phone dropped from 4G to HSPA a couple if times, resulting in no internet access. A reset of the phone fixed the problem.

17. Zmodem

theres no point in you being on a 4g network when your phone is in your pocket, you dont have priority, you will be kicked off so others can use it

18. paj

EE improving for me

I've had an Orange/EE work phone for the past few years. The rural reception was really poor at first, much worse than Voda that I used previously, or O2 that my partner used.

The signal has gradually improved over the past couple of years. In fact I often find I have a better signal than my partner, who is now on Voda.

And in urban areas the 4G signal tends to be good.

So these days I'm actually a happy EE customer... and lets hope it stays this way. I'm in Lancashire, YMMV elsewhere.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had this problem at least 4 times on EE. I didn't get it this time round (well, not that I noticed anyway!) - but the last time it happened, the directors made a decision not to refund anyone.

Recurring problem with no care to compensate customers or resolve the actual problem.

Paid £102 recently for the privilege of leaving them early.

20. Zmodem

EE is just another crap telecom that has gone middleclass and can`t handle, and only care for people with no intelligence who can watch youtube movies and chat on facebook 24/7

EE limit your connection to a 28kb modem and block all uploads, while still being able to watch crap movies and do all the middleclass internet life

time fior tesci where the middleclass will never go and crap out

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like