back to article Facebook goes down, people dial 911

Facebook's servers fell over today – with users on the US east coast, and in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, complaining of outages. Facebook outage map Oh noes! Circles mark areas of connectivity problems ... Click for bigger map. Source: IsItDownRightNow.com According to IsItDownRightNow.com, the downtime appears to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait... what?

People call the cops because a site is down? Is it April 1st?

1. Justin Pasher

Re: Wait... what?

Just like people call because McDonald's gets their order wrong or they are out of a particular food item.

This is the unfortunate world we now live in...

1. khisanth

The kind of people who don't know what to do when McDonalds or their favourite fast food restaurant is closed. Saw a video where some fried chicken place had run out of chicken and people were up in arms complaining that their kids were going to starve, that they didnt know what to do and how would they eat?!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Humanity

catering to the lowest common denominator for far too long...

2. Tom 260

Some people call emergency numbers for the daftest things, maybe they think Google runs the numbers now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-28589972 (Where's the late night chemist at?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28408175 (There's a fly in my ear!) - this one has a fair list

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-25560444 (I'm in the supermarket!)

Also see the related stories off those links for more...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Syntax Error

So who do you ring?

1. Bloakey1

"So who do you ring?"

Ghostbusters!.

2. Tom 38

the police can/should do something about *Facebook*

Oh, I wish they could....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So that's why I saw a large group of tweenage girls crying hysterically, prodding and shaking their mobile phones, screaming that their lives were at an end, accosting passerby demanding they check to see if they had a mobile signal.....

If only Facebook were online, I would have posted the video.....

Damn Facebook!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apr 1, Aug 1, that's a pretty easy mistake to make, right?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

FACEBOOK DOWN?

Hanging is too good for them! Call the gas trucksFEMA trailers.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Facebork spin-doctors rang it in themselves, hoping for yet more free media publicity.

How silly of them, for surely no decent media outlet would take up this 'story'...

7. itzman
      Paris Hilton

No, its 2014, the age of idiocracy and soshul meejah

1. ecofeco Silver badge

"No, its 2014, the age of idiocracy and soshul meejah"

x a billion

Upvoted.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think you appreciate just how many truly stupid people there are out there. The advancement of mankind is generally down to a single digit percentage of the population with the grunting masses dragged along for the ride.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My wife, a psychiatric nurse, calls my cutomers 'patients'.

(AC for obvious reasons)

2. ToddR

By their knuckles

9. LucreLout
      Trollface

"People call the cops because a site is down? Is it April 1st?"

This is the inevitable end-game of health and safety law.

We need to return to a system of allowing the stupid to die off before breeding, rather than coddle them throughout an artificially extended existence, in which they achieve nothing other than slowing the herd.

Joke icon over there --> only I'm not wholly sure I'm joking....

10. ToddR

No just the US of A

11. Janir

No.. its L.A.

2. Mr_Pitiful

GADSLBI

Go And Do Something Less Boring Instead

1. edge_e
      Thumb Up

Re: GADSLBI

for those of you not old enough to understand the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUhjFF5a6Y

1. VinceH

"for those of you not old enough to understand the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUhjFF5a6Y"

Before I paste that link into an address bar, I'm going to warn you that if it isn't a link to something relating to Why Don't You, I'm going to hunt you down and feed you to a very hungry gerbil. (I don't actually have a gerbil,hungry or otherwise, but I'll find one when I need to).

[Nine minutes later...]

Legend!

1. jason 7
          Happy

And none of the kids spoke in 'Gangsta Stylee'.

Ahhh bliss.

2. Scroticus Canis

Ah the good old days, making a cheese and ham sandwich with out the fear of being accused of insulting some desert spawned religion and a kid with enough common sense to use a knife with out H&SE or police intervention. Smells like freedom as I used to know it.

2. Mr_Pitiful

Cheers

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Never heard of that show. Thanks for the link.

Priceless.

Cheers.

1. therealmav

Why don't you nostalgia alert for the truly old like me who watched the first episode. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGCGS2Ow30

watch and learn eighties kids

1. AdamT

Hmm. I used to be a little put out by the implied irony:

"Why Don't You Turn Off The Television And Go And Do Something Less Boring Instead .....

.... After You Have Watched This Television Programme Telling You What That Should Be"

(but, yes, it was still good)

Was that the one with Doctor What - a fairly transparent but more educational rip off of Doctor Who?

1. ravenviz Silver badge
            Headmaster

It was the one where you had to wear stripy socks 'because there was a doris', but they never said what a doris was or ever saw one (maybe because of the socks!).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

What can I say?

Further proof (if any was needed), that the majority of Facebook users are fucking idiots.

1. Herbert Meyer

Re: What can I say?

f'ing idiots ? Is that what they are doing instead of FaceBook ? Is there a queue ?

1. channel extended
        Devil

Hey Idiot get in line!

2. Charles Manning

> f'ing idiots ? Is that what they are doing instead of FaceBook ? Is there a queue ?

No need to queue there are more than enough idiots to go around.

2. Cliff

Alas, as a huge statistical sample, they probably represent the general populous fairly closely. We're doomed.

3. bigtimehustler

Ok, this is the same as saying people in general are idiots because they ring emergency when their cheeseburger has no cheese. Idiots pervade all areas of life, not just fb.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Correlation does not imply causation but their are one of two possibilities... a) FB is an idiot magnet or b) FB turns its users into idiots.

1. MrZoolook

"Correlation does not imply causation but their are one of two possibilities... a) FB is an idiot magnet or b) FB turns its users into idiots."

Ah, good use of sarcasm their.

4. DropBear
      Devil

Nothing to do with FB - it's just that moronic 'murrican entitlement. Something bad happened to me? There MUST be someone responsible! Sue someone! Something public stopped being available? Call the cops and complain - the very fabric of society is clearly unravelling!

1. Cipher
        Facepalm

DropBear scribbled for posterity:

" Nothing to do with FB - it's just that moronic 'murrican entitlement. "

And no other country has morons who feel entitled, eh?

Sigh...

5. Visionman

"Further proof (if any was needed), that the majority of Facebook users are fucking idiots."

You are too kind.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Current Status: Fucking an idiot.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fines

I hope that they all got fined for misuse of emergency services.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Fines

" I hope that they all got fined for misuse of emergency services."

I always thought they were, in the UK, but seeing those numerous examples in the press, and on YouTube etc. it doesn't seem that they are.

Remember some of the UK cases (I''m sure you can find them by Googling) :

- Woman complains someone has stolen her snowman.

- Woman complains she's run out of fags

- Man reports strange object in the sky - turns out it was the moon...

- Woman complains that her husband is hogging the TV remote ...

1. harmjschoonhoven
        Thumb Up

Re: Man reports strange object in the sky - turns out it was the moon

A well-known astronomer instructed his teenage daughter to answer the phone at full moon to ask whether callers who had spotted a UFO had also seen the Moon.

This usually settled the argument.

2. mr.K

Re: Fines

While some people clearly have a too low threshold for calling emergency numbers*, that is not something that holds for everybody. The last thing they want is for people to contemplate over if their issue is serious enough to call for help. Instead they inform the public on occasion or with repeat offenders they have a talk. I think they will go to pretty long lengths to avoid the headline "Called the police for help, got fined".

*We got separate numbers for police, fire and medical.

5. Mark 85

I guess their Tweet is better...

then telling the caller that they're sending a squad car and a SWAT team to the FB local office.

1. tony2heads
      Thumb Down

Re: I guess their Tweet is better...

NO WAY is it better

What I expect is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOvm_RMlkok

also with "Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the^W Blues^W Brothers^W Mark Zuckerberg HAS been approved."

6. johnwerneken

I dont believe anything facebook says

The message they out up for me excused this odd time for an outage"Scheduled Maintenance" lol

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I dont believe anything facebook says

And there ladies and Gentlemen, the perfect specimin of a Facebook user. Freshly crawled out from the primordial soup presumably only because the site that attracted someone like him (or made him like that) was down.

How he ended up here is anyone's guess though.

7. connermac725

OMG

the end is near lol

Facebook what is that oh yea that thing people waste their lives on

just for the opportunity to have FB sell all they know about them to advertisers

they should have just called the NSA to find out why it was down

8. Tel

I discovered, upon finding Facebook down, that I had to FaceRealLife instead.

The horrors that I saw! Hold me!

9. DNTP

Well that explains why the company was so productive today.

10. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Damage limitation

"Facebook goes down, people dial 911 "

So, only Americans overreacting then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Damage limitation

Maybe, maybe not.

Plenty of people NOT living in the US actually think that "911" is their local emergency number.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Damage limitation

They also went to "high school", graduated from "college", think the UK has got a president called "Obama" (actually, perhaps they are closer to the truth than they ought to be) and imagine they live somewhere near or even in an American state such as California or Texas, wear idiot baseball caps and think the nth (5th? not sure) amendment and "right to bear arms" are British. Increasingly they confuse fictional USA with their local reality and geography, modifying speech and ideas to fit, from silliness such as *going to the bathroom" even in a restaurant or the woods to calling the English Channel, *the ocean". I notice that, in Register comments, and sometimes articles, people who purport to be technical (and so needing to be accurate and precise in their work) can not even manage English spelling and grammar.

Bloody sad loss of their own culture and identity to a misunderstood, fictional version. The worst for this are our most prominent politicians who definitely confuse USA interests with our own and encourage a common enemy in the form of more able, neighbouring countries that still have some awareness of their own identity and culture.

So, of course the loss of some asocial web site is an emergency. Actually, get the army on to it to hunt down the saboteurs of our way of life.

11. Belardi

Same idiots as

These are the same idiots who NEED to have a label printed on their phone screen "Peel protective cover to see display" on new phones.

1. Caesarius
      Pint

Re: Same idiots as

Unnecessary instructions have been noted before.

"Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion."

—The toothpick instructions that annoyed Wonko

(from http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Wonko_the_Sane)

12. Scroticus Canis
    Headmaster

How come if the US East Coast servers were down ....

... it was Californians dialling 911? What's not right, the story or American geography? If the servers covered the whole of American postings does it then just indicate a special level of idiots (IQ < 20) in just one state?

13. StimuliC

Damn You! You really went and Done it!

Yes you Facebook, you were supposed to stay down, offline, permanently gone! You were not supposed to come back and haunt the world with you perpetual spying and reaping of personal information. When I pulled the Fiber Lines from the router you were supposed to stay disconnected FOREVER!!!!! LOL

14. ecofeco Silver badge

My favorite 911 call

My favorite 911 call is the man who insisted the police bring him more beer.

Repeatedly.

You can guess the ending.

15. Ross K Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Downtime?

One assumes the CIA were installing a few patches?

16. Toby 2

3pm on a Friday? Don't think office productivity would actually have changed much ;)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are seeing

the fall of the republic

18. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Apols to Roger Waters

And when they found our shadows

Groups 'round the social media sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data in their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry

No feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Amused itself to death

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose it's not as bad as in the UK where we call up the Police because there isn't enough toppings on our ice cream.

1. Trygve Henriksen

What kind of topping?

2. gotes

Someone call the grammar police!

20. Mr Michael Strelitz

Its the FBI stupid

Wrong number. They should have been calling the FBI for FaceBook Information

21. j.p

australia implemented 911 to supplement our local emergency number (000) due to unfortunate US influence on our chitlins.

1. ToddR

Re: 911

Solutions:

1. Legalise Logan

2. Close the US

22. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Just remember...

The average person on the street is an idiot. And by definition, half the population is stupider.

23. Shaha Alam

but wait...

ok, so it's a stupid story.

but if police forces are using facebook and other social networks as part of their service delivery (which they increasingly are), don't the public have a duty to call them if those services go down?

it might not be an emergency, sure, but it's also a duty for the cops to know when their service (via fb, twitter, wot-not) will be back again. how else will people 'like' them for helping cats out of trees?

24. OGShakes

Facebook or Facepalm?

Nope Napalm the people who call the law for this kind of stuff, its the only answer!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like