back to article FTC to mobile carriers: If you could stop text scammers being jerks that'd be just great

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has urged mobile carriers to crack down on scams that lure people into receiving expensive texts. The commission has published a "cramming" report [PDF] that states that American networks are failing to protect subscribers from unfair or deceptive premium service charges, levied by sleazy …

1. Ole Juul

Fraud pays

Until there are real consequences that actually cut into the bottom line, nothing will change. I'm not holding my breath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Fraud pays

Forget cutting the bottom line, cut the jugular.

1. fishbone
        Pint

Re: Fraud pays

Words and the FTC sure won't stop'em

2. Fihart

Ye olde Royal Mail principle.

When the first postal service was established, recipients had to pay. Result, they turned mail away. Delivery costs were unmanageable and, thus, postage expensive. Royal Mail's solution was the Penny Post whereby the sender paid an affordable amount and recipient paid nothing.

Apply the same principle to all texts so the spammers and scammers are out of business.

As for telcos taking a slice of revenue obtained by deception, that's a case for Small Claims Court (argue proceeds of crime principle).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ye olde Royal Mail principle.

Doesn't apply in the US.

What should be made illegal is high cost premium rate lines; or at least contracts should allow them all to be blocked. The scam of sending a message from one of these numbers so the victim will dial back will continue until BT is forced to do something, but I wouldn't make a bet on it happening in any timescale short of the heat death of the universe.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Sir_Hops_A_Lot

Way to be on top of things, FCC!!!! This has been going on for almost 15 years.

But never mind me....I don't want to hold you up from cashing that paycheck you did nothing to receive.

Idiots.

5. Sir_Hops_A_Lot

Hmmm.....In the future, I'm going to proofread and be certain everything's correct before calling anyone an idiot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like