back to article Cloudy CoreOS Linux distro declares itself production-ready

The developers behind the stripped-down CoreOS Linux distribution have pushed version 367.1.0 to the Stable release channel, marking the first time the project has delivered a production-ready release. Unlike other Linux distros, CoreOS is a minimal OS that ships each new version as a single unit, rather than updating …

1. Denarius
    Thumb Up

is this familar?

Sounds something like Beos packaging of applications. If not Beos, this has been done somewhere in FOSS before. Have to fiddle with it when bandwidth allows as I think it worth exploring. Seems like a way to bring microkernel stability to a monolithic kernel model if my limited understanding is correct.

1. Goat Jam

Re: is this familar?

I've had a (very brief*) play with it and from what I can tell it (ie: docker) is like a combination of the old BSD jails and puppet.

Basically it is a bunch of tools for deploying containerised applications automagically.

* I don't have an application for it so I haven't actually used it in anger. I might set something up in the lab should I ever find a potential use for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux devs/users idea of production ready is a million miles different to enterprise's idea of production ready, case in point - BtrFS is considered production ready...

Cannot compare Solaris' Crossbow / zones / ZFS integration to some shite like docker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I gather you like Solaris' Crossbow / zones / ZFS integration.

Good for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BtrFS is considered a "technology preview" in RHEL 7, haven't checked on the latest Suse Enterprise yet. Yes, BtrFS is a bad joke compared to ZFS, but the OpenZFS project has made great strides and the 0.6.3 release has eliminated most of the SPL memory fragmentation problems. I have not tried Docker so I don't know if it is "shite". I do expect something that is just released to less mature than something that has

been around for almost a decade. However, if history is any indication, in a few years Docker will have around 60-80% of the features and reliability of the Solaris equivalent, and cost a helluva less than Oracle Solaris running on Oracle hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like