back to article Big Blue Apple: IBM to sell iPads, iPhones to enterprises

IBM and Apple have forged a pact to sell software to enterprises: Apple will handle support and IBM will actually sell the iPads and iPhones, which will be loaded with Big Blue's ported apps. Oh yes. The "landmark partnership" was announced by the two companies on Tuesday, and will see each firm help the other make money from …

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    FAIL

Here it comes . . .

. . . Lotus Notes for iOS. I expect the weeping and gnashing of teeth to begin anon!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here it comes . . .

Already there. Called IBM Traveler

1. ItsNotMe

"Already there. Called IBM Traveler"

Yep...and it works very well, actually. Used it for several years...but I'll bet Dead Steve is none too happy about this collaboration. Oh well Stevie Boy...you're dead, and can't do anything about it.

2. MalcolmTucker

Re: Here it comes . . .

Fascinating way the US economy works, no?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how they'll be sold

Will you just able to buy them from the app store and use them, or will they be "free" but be non-functional without some sort of IBM services contract for your corporation?

It is quite an inspired partnership, each company playing its biggest strength to the other's biggest weakness. Neither company has to go outside its comfort zone at all. If successful, each company will realize a lot of revenue from a market it had not the slightest prayer of participating in without the other.

This could change the face of the BYOD movement. Who would have thought a partnership like this could be possible, back in 1984? :)

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: I wonder how they'll be sold

In 1984, it would have seemed impossible. By 1992 they called it Taligent (née Pink).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how they'll be sold

BBC reporter "Who would have thought 30 years ago that Apple and IBM would work together"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28323682

Taligent. Exactly. Alas, it didn't work out so well...

3. sinfocomar

IBM... hasn't gotten anything right in the enterprise least of all software. Lotus Notes has in fact lost its place. They didn't have to do much and are failing in just keeping it current and relevant. I doubt Blackberry has anything to worry about... nice try at getting headlines

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Broad brush

> "IBM... hasn't gotten anything right"

Ah I love those broad sweeping statements. Don't all software vendors have their Lotus Notes equivalents....?

Obviously both companies see mutual benefit from working with each other. I guess sour grapes eh.

2. localzuk Silver badge

Yeah, IBM have definitely lost their way. They certainly didn't do $100bn in sales last year... *rolls eyes*

IBM is still synonymous with the enterprise, wherever you go.

3. MyDoorKnob

>IBM... hasn't gotten anything right in the enterprise least of all software.

You clearly have deep and wide-ranging experience of the serious side of computing.

Go and play with your iToy, kid.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

iToy? Way to show you're the clever one with more experience. Dick.

2. Tom 13

Re: Go and play with your iToy, kid.

Not sure he even rates an iToy. Maybe an Etch-a-Sketch a-la Dilbert.

4. Herba

for crying out loud, you obviously dont know anything at all about IT.

5. Tim99 Silver badge
      Unhappy

@sinfocomar

IBM... hasn't gotten anything right in the enterprise least of all software.

Well you might not have heard of z/OS which is only used for trivial stuff like paying salaries, running Fortune 50 companies and banking - But obviously nothing that is really important to an enterprise...

4. solo

Business was never cool

iPhone is already the best selling machine in corporate world. May be that is because suits can show they are cool at the same time.

Will that factor seize to exist after this transforms into a real Business Machine ? It was never easy to be rich anyway.

5. SisterClamp

What could possibly go wrong?

6. MyDoorKnob

JCL

Can't wait to edit it on the go.

1. Herba

Re: JCL

There is already TN3270 apps on the app store :p

That being said, odds are IT will probably agree to support one now. Where I work we use cisco for IT remote access so since its build into the ipad I can connect with a securid and use the a 3270 app on the ipad over LTE. nice indeed since I need to support the mainframe 24/7.

7. The Hurricane

Masterstroke?

Basic SWOT analysis shows this is a great move. Neither Ginni nor Cook have made a big announcement in their CEO tenure that have taken the business in a new direction. If the execution is good, it could be big.

It also destabilizes the competition, Google and Microsoft partnering? Not ruddy likely.

I think this is a move IBM and Apple had to make.

8. Ascylto

So, no sales to Jewish firms then!

9. Millsey

Oh, does that mean I can expect a shipment of Apple products to my IBM office sometime soon to replace the Lenovo/Windows laptop that I've only just managed to get correctly setup after 4months of work? Great. Can't wait. IBM share price continues to slide...

1. John Molloy

@milesy

"soon to replace the Lenovo/Windows laptop that I've only just managed to get correctly setup after 4months of work?"

I fear you just demonstrated precisely why this is an excellent idea. Most Macs work out of the box and the configuration stuff in the new OSX / iOS8 is going to make that stuff easy.

1. David Beck

Re: @milesy and others who think corporate users get to configure their kit

Is that before or after the corporate IT guy images the official config on your Mac? I don't remember doing much work on the configuration of my corporate PC/laptop over the past 24 years. In fact I distinctly remember not being allowed to makes config changes or in some cases, able to make changes.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Herba

The deal is about mobile not Pc's

The deal is about mobile not Pc's. That being said it makes me wonders if this could extend to Pc's at some point. This news is already making waves at CGI headquaters in Montreal, IBM is the biggest consulting firm in the world and CGI is in the top 5.

11. VeganVegan

In other news,

Watson and Siri have announced their engagement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like