back to article OpenWRT gets native IPv6 slurping in major refresh

The embedded Linux distro OpenWRT has updated native IPv6 support – allowing devices to automatically pick up an IPv6 address, as well as an IPv4 one, from an ISP if possible. The release candidate is code-named “Barrier Breaker” and runs the Linux 3.10 kernel. OpenWRT 14.07's improved IPv6 support with DHCPv6 is useful for …

1. Christian Berger

Finally!

Finally proper IPv6 support. Finally you can use this in "productive" home environments where you don't have a whole IPv4 subnet to distribute.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Finally!

Now I actually have a reason to wipe and rebuild my WNDR3700V2. I OpenWRTed it a while back (well, the stock firmware is OpenWRT derivative anyways, but I wanted a more up-to-date one,) and then just sort of...left it. It doesn't preserve settings between updates.

This though...this is worth the update.

2. djack
    Thumb Up

So much better than original FW

I only 'discovered' OpenWRT a couple of days ago and quickly dis-proved two beliefs I had about the software, I thought it was only useful if you need extra features not included in the manufacturer's firmware and that it was only for Linksys routers. how wrong I was.

I have a new TP-Link wireless AP. This thing had a weak signal that keeps dropping out and needing a reboot. I had tried everything to make it work reliably and was on the verge of chucking it out until I noticed that OpenWRT would run on it. The difference was noticable straight away, I have a much more stable network and can now even access it from further afield than before. I honestly don't know why TP-Link bothered trying to write their own FW, just ship the thing with OpenWRT, or have the installation instrictions as the first step in the manual ;)

1. regadpellagru

Re: So much better than original FW

Exactly, all of this.

Also, contrary to popular belief, this come with a full UI, and there is no real need to go command line even for advanced config*.

Nowadays, any time I need a router or WIFI AP, I just go to openwrt hardware list.

* one silly exception: no way to get the WIFI PSK from the UI, when connecting new stuff ...

2. Mage Silver badge
      Happy

I have been using OpenWRT on a "home brewed" router based on a Geode based industrial x86 cpu board with two ethernet ports, usb and two connectors for Laptop type WiFi modules or other gadgets for about seven years! It's so reliable I'm loath to upgrade! Unlike the various commercial routers I've used before (and since on other sites) it rarely needs a reboot.

I also have an older openWRT on an old Linksys box with PCMCIA slot that was adapted to have NiMH inside. It was a demo "proof of concept" Mobile WiFi hot spot in 2006 to 2008 with easy swap of off the shelf 3G PCMCIA modem and a pre-production 4G modem. The 4 +1 ethernet ports could be configure as simply a 5 port switch to "router" connected to PCMCIA card or partitioned networks or a router & firewall on a separate Broadband modem (DSL, Cable, Fixed Wiireless, Fibre etc).

Sadly the later OpenWRT wasn't compatible with it as it was an old product only purchased because it had a PCMCIA slot.

3. Frank Rysanek

A switch from original firmware to OpenWRT has improved signal quality and reach? Not very likely, though not entirely impossible...

Other than that, TP-Link hardware of the recent generation is a marvellous basis for OpenWRT. It runs very cool, has very few components apart from the Atheros SoC, this looks like a recipe for longevity. Only the 2-3 elyts could better be solid-poly (they're not) - I haven't found any other downside.

For outdoor setups I prefer Mikrotik gear (HW+FW) in a watertight aluminum box. And even the RB912 has classic Aluminum elyts... so I cannot really scorn TP-Link for not using solid-poly in their entry-level SoHo AP's.

1. djack

I assure you the signal is very different. Before I could not connect to the network at all from outside the house. I was able to sit in the garden and work yesterday morning :)

I'm also a fan of Mikrotik, in fact I'd just ordered one of their boxes as a replacement AP when I had the brainwave of checking the OpenWRT compatibility. I now need to decide wether to send it back or keep it as a spare (you can never have too many spare bits of kit ;) )

3. Ole Juul

Kudos for OpenWRT, but

Surely IPv6 support is not a new thing. I've had that capability on my cheap Netgear router for a long time. That's with Tomato.

4. Aidan242

Hopefully it works better than some trunk builds..

Where, if you'd entered your IPv6 address information in the format requested, it prevented IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity...

5. Eugene Crosser
    Thumb Down

Come on!

OpenWRT has native ipv6 support, as well as support for a number of tunnel brokers, for I don't remember since when. I have ipv6 on my home system with Kamikaze up and running for several years.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Come on!

The key thing is DHCPv6 from what I can tell. I've tweaked the article.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.co.uk - your comments won't be seen and articles won't be fixed unless someone drops us a note. And we all want articles accurate, right?

C.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Come on!

OpenWRT has had patchy, per-device IPv6 support that appeared and disappeared depending on which build you used. The stuff that was in the trunk for most devices was crap and caused more problems than it solved.

If this is now Officially Supported on all officially supported devices, that is - in fact - Big News.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>Linux 3.0 kernel

I hope that's a typo or misunderstanding.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Daniel Palmer

Yeah it was a typo - should be 3.10. Don't forget to email corrections@theregister next time.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon