back to article Gameover ZeuS botnet pulls dripping stake from heart, staggers back from the UNDEAD

The Gameover ZeuS malware is back from the dead just six weeks after a takedown operations that aimed to put a stake through the heart of the botnet, which is linked to the even more infamous CryptoLocker ransomware. International law enforcement acted against the crooks behind the Gameover ZeuS in early June. For the past …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are The Drones When You need Them?

The might help to ensure that the bot-nets do manage to shuffle off their mortal coil.

2. Stephen Booth

Ah that explains it

Fast flux, must be why the virgin media DNS servers have been locking up so much over the last week,

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Attack of the zombie scr attachment

"All of the malicious emails contain a zip file with a .scr attachment inside"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't make the assumption I did

That an intelligent user would not open the zip and click the Screen Saver type file.

Well respected engineer did here, must have day dreaming or something luckily windows didn't know what to use to open the .scr so I can't say if the antivirus would have picked it up. I found I have a really sad "but why did you do that?" face lurking in the back of my expression cupboard, wore it for the rest of the day, talking quietly to my myself, why, why would you do that?, a screen saver! Was he not around in the 90's, why....

---

And yes I did scan it quite a few ways, check for changes, new files, running processes, connection attempts etc.

5. FrankAlphaXII

Mentioned in DHS Open Source Infrastructure report

You guys managed to get your headline in the DHS Open Source infrastructure report for today. Best one I've ever seen there too I might add, especially since they included the capitalized "UNDEAD". Check it out, last link in the IT section of the report.

It is a PDF, check the middle of page 8

I get one of these from FEMA and another from DHS every day, FEMA didn't have your stuff but they don't usually cover "cyber" anything yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like