back to article Five arrested over money-grubbing fake UK.gov shocker

Five suspects in Blighty have been arrested during an investigation of copycat government websites that con folks out of money for items like new passports, driving tests and car tax discs. The sites try to pass themselves off as official and then trick people into paying for services that the government actually provides more …

1. James Boag

Shocker !

Money grabbing fraudsters impersonate Government sites,

How do you tell the difference ?

1. phil 27
      Joke

Re: Shocker !

The fake works properly on linux based browsers!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tax Discs - The DVLA send you all the details on the reminder form, you need the reference number from this to order the tax anyway, so if people are not going to the correct site they deserve to pay the extra stupid tax these companies offer.

1. Paratrooping Parrot

I have seen how most people use the Internet. They just go to Google and type in what they want. They then click on the first link. Most of the ordinary folk don't seem to understand website addresses. People have bought computers, but they were not taught how to use it properly. That's the cause of most of the problems.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

One does not need to be taught. I was not taught what an address bar was. It's kind of obvious, the thing with the address in it. Those typing what they want into google... I have the same level of sympathy for as I do the scum who run these fake sites. That is, none

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"People have bought computers, but they were not taught how to use it properly."

User ignorance is a big part of the problem to be sure... But the big search companies are also complicit. They've been making juicy profits from scams ads, and that's unforgivable. How many weeks before we hear of the next Malware YouTube / Yahoo delivery device?!! Followed by this pathetic excuse: "Oh, but we're just an Ad Broker!

3. JeffHome
    Holmes

Who is to blame?

Those providing paid advertising on search engines should be held accountable for the content they serve. I'm not suggesting the advice in the article is wrong, but is it not about time those providing the adverts were penalised as well? If you hit them where it hurts (financially) then they will find a way to stop them. Surely?!

4. bikerdev

Nice to see Justice being done

While I have some sympathy with the view that these people operate a stupid tax, my partner (to her lasting shame!) got fleeced by one of these guys while trying to sort out her youngests first driving licence. I feel that those running these sites are bottom feeding scum preying on the ill informed and vulnerable and deserve to be shown the error of their ways :)

5. Mage Silver badge

Meanwhile ICANN stupidity

adds more TLDs to make fraud easier and push up domain costs for everyone

1. tomban
      Joke

Re: Meanwhile ICANN stupidity

Ah, but they need those TLDs to generate more IP addresses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

look, it works...

on the count of 3... 2... 1....

7. John Lilburne

Its damned easy to get caught by this stuff if you are momentarily distracted. When I was getting a new passport I was on a site that looked like a gubmint one. It was only at the end when they charged £40 (I was expecting to pay £80+ for the passport), that I realised that it wasn't what I thought it was. It was simply generating a prefilled in application form (which the gubmint site does for free). Anyway I emailed the payment processor and got refunded.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One word: HA HA HA

Not so smart, eh?

1. John Lilburne

Given that is three words ...

... not one. I'll take it that you can't count, have little concept of number and are most likely being ripped off by everyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Given that is three words ...

I'll take it you can't spot a joke a mile off. Well done.

8. Anomalous Cowshed

"copycat websites con folks out of money for passports, driving tests and tax discs"

Today the police continued their round of arrests, nabbing one of the ringleaders. A Mr. D. Cameron of Downing Street, London, was arrested at his home. A police spokeswoman said that the suspected perpetrator was known to have a severe cat fetish, having previously been in trouble with the law for attempting to flog fake cat videos. "Just like drug users, who all start off smoking marijuana before graduating to hard drugs and crime, the perpetrator was soon sliding down a slippery slope towards attempting to launch copy cat web sites" said the spokeswoman, who added that she had no idea what had given him or previous offenders like him the idea of selling passports, driving tests and tax disks to members of the public.

1. James O'Shea

Re: "copycat websites con folks out of money for passports, driving tests and tax discs"

It's Tony B-liar who liked the white Persian. And Gordon Brun who had the monocle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon