back to article OMG, sorry about 'poor comms' on Facebook secret emoto-meddle tests. Laters!

A top Facebook chief has admitted the firm did a poor job of informing its users about a controversial 2012 experiment that manipulated the emotions of nearly 700,000 people on the free content ad network. COO Sheryl Sandberg told reporters during a meeting in India on Wednesday that Facebook had made a hash of the secret test …

1. lansalot

Translation

Fixed that for you:

"Sorry we got caught. But what are you gonna do - leave us? Shut up and keep clicking..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Translation

> Shut up and keep clicking...

trust us

2. Peter Simpson 1
    Pint

I lie to them

at every opportunity. My DOB, place of birth, age, university and place of residence are all false.

If they're going to mine my data, I see it as my duty to pollute their database as much as possible.

Why yes, I am over 50. But you're welcome on my lawn -- as long as you bring refreshments.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: I lie to them

I tried that when I was required to have an account to help various family members out with those wonderful games they have. Unfortunately I can no longer remember the ficticious DoB I used so I can't pass their security check as I have since replaced my laptop.

At least that's what I tell the kids when they pester me about logging in

2. Ian Michael Gumby

Silly boy!

You do realize that they capture enough information from various sources that they know who you are and how old you really are.

1. VinceH
        Happy

You mean they probably knew I didn't really live at the Information Commissioner's Office? Wow, I feel bad now for lying about that when I had an account.

Oh, wait, no I don't.

2. Number6

That's OK, I have an "internet birthday" which is consistent but not the same as the one on my birth certificate. So it may seem OK to them but it's off by a few years (and months/days).

1. Mike Flex

" I have an "internet birthday"

Yup. Unless I have a real-life legal relationship with an organisation (e.g. financial) I'm as young as the Unix epoch.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if they tried to upset somebody. If that person then went on to hurt themselves or others because they had been upset....

4. The First Dave

Another from the "Tony Blair school of apologies"TM

5. splodge

"I would like to apologise for blah." That's good of you, all you have to do is repeat that sentence, without the "would like to" but with added actual sincerity.

Easy!

6. OffBeatMammal

I wonder how long before someone (or several someones) decide that because Facebooks emotional manipulation caused bad result X (do it poor work review, break up of a relationship, feeling bad about themself) it's time for a class action suit or similar, and Facebook get dragged into court. Totally bogus and pretty pointless but at the end of the day the problem is Facebook has got so big and brash that it doesn't think the rules apply to it any more...

7. Mage Silver badge

Thanks

Though you are still getting details wrong

"Content Free Ad Network"

is possibly a slightly more accurate description.

Hardly surprising. I wonder what they are doing today?

8. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

If you can't be a good example...

...exemplary behaviour is expected from [FB]...

...just not the example we would prefer that others follow. I think the second definition, "serving as a warning," is more to the point.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust? Yeah I trust them by following this :-

"So for Facebook users who don't want to be guinea pigs, the rule of thumb is to provide as little information about themselves as possible. That means getting an account under an assumed name and supplying false information on location, age, education, marital status and any other matters that the user considers private. This violates Facebook's terms of use, but there's nothing the social network can do about it. In fact, so many people are already doing this -- that the actual value of all that research is uncertain."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Else Is Facebook Doing?

Some more interesting studies by the Zucker-Stasi :-

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-07-03/what-else-is-facebook-doing

11. Frank N. Stein

Wasn't there some sort of mass murder attempt somewhere, earlier this year after someone red some depressing boulder dash on their Facebook Timeline?

12. Potemkine Silver badge

You did expect an apology?

Muahahahaha!

13. thickasthieves

Despite protestations from inside Facebook

This wasn't A/B testing by any measure of the term, once one reads the PNAS paper by Kramer, Guillory, and Hancock (https://cornell.app.box.com/fbcontagion).

I hope El Reg and other journos now apply scrutiny to not only Facebook, but all of the other major social networks to find out what, exactly, their equivalents to the Facebook Data Science Group (which ran this experiment) are doing with their big data collections.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like