back to article Apple ships security fixes for iOS, OS X, Safari ... basically EVERYTHING

Apple on Monday shipped new versions of its operating systems, its web browser, and Apple TV firmware – with each update a minor release aimed at fixing bugs and closing security vulnerabilities. The latest release of OS X Mavericks, version 10.9.4, addresses a total of 19 vulnerabilities in a variety of OS subsystems, ranging …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting that patches were alread published in the WebKit code tree...

... but not yet applied to Safari. Not really a sound move, because it left Safari vulnerable to something alike zero day vulns. How long did it take to apply the patches?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SURPISE!!!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft?

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow!

No one telling me it's an Apple article, no double digit downvotes....

Could it be my work here is done? Are we all clear now that all software has flaws? Or is it just that this wasn't an Android article....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7.1.2 iOS update...

required a manual reboot (the progress bar never completed). On two iPhone 4S and a 5C.

Recovered fine, but not good.

1. Don Dumb
      Thumb Up

Re: 7.1.2 iOS update...

@AC -

"7.1.2 iOS update...

required a manual reboot (the progress bar never completed). On two iPhone 4S and a 5C.

Recovered fine, but not good."

Thanks for the experience, glad I didn't do the update this morning. I'll keep an eye on the update. I always backup the phone first and do the update via iTunes on the computer so hopefully I can restore if the update fails, but I did manage to have a 3GS brick while updating (Apple store replaced straight away thankfully) so I'm always nervous.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Updated a Mac, an Apple TV, an iPad and two iPhones (one OTA, one wire to computer) without a single problem, so mileage is clearly variable.

As a general rule of thumb I always do a backup and then reboot of any device I'm about to update before beginning the process, so this may be why I didn't have any trouble. Actually, except the Apple TV as there's nothing to back up, it just gets a reboot.

2. Google

Started the updater after freeing the required gig or so (update itself is about 25MB, so I'd reason it backs up locally). Updater hung. Resorted to a reset after checking this article's comments. Rebooted just fine, palms a little sweaty rebooting mid-update. Heart rate subsided. Side effects not mentioned in release notes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like