back to article Hey, remember the iPod Touch? Apple just did

Apple is now touting a cheaper iPod Touch with a better camera. The iThing giant said the 16GB iPod Touch model will now come with a five-megapixel iSight camera as well as a price drop, which will see the entry-level Zune-killer fall from $229 to $199 (£159). The 32GB $249 (£199) and 64GB $299 (£249) models will remain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Tunnah

50 quid for 32gb what a bloody bargain!

1. Cynical Shopper

Better than 80 quid for the same on an iPhone (and 80 vs 40 for the 16Gb upgrade).

Ignoring that 32Gb of SD card costs about 12 quid, does the iPhone have better memory than the iPod to explain the discrepancy?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

zune killer

That made me laugh. Then I thought of that bloke with the zune tattoo and shuddered slightly.

1. deadlockvictim

Re: zune killer

Dammit, you beat me to it.

Have an upvote.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow, they released a new product that's 3 years old

An A5 chip, which is a 3 year old CPU and graphics chip, with only 512M of memory. An Apple wonders why it doesn't sell many ipod touches? The primary market for the ipod touch is gaming, and they keep killing themselves with a product no one wants. It's already practically obsolete. They dropped support for the A3 with IOS 7, the A4 with IOS 8, and will likely drop the A5 with IOS 9. So enjoy your ipod for one year, then no more updates. P.S. I own a iphone 5s, a Mac Mini, and a Macbook air.

1. Toastan Buttar

Re: Wow, they released a new product that's 3 years old

"The primary market for the ipod touch is gaming, and they keep killing themselves with a product no one wants."

Kids want iPod Touches. Parents want iPod Touches. Parents of kids want to give their precious little darlings iPod Touches instead of Nintendo portables. Why? TCO. You can download a brazilian free cool games from iTunes that are totally worth playing. Get a DS->onwards Nintendo machine and you will find yourself and your offspring paying mightily for cartridges, etc. Some of which might not have lasting appeal (no names mentioned to protect the guilty).

Plus, you don't need to take out any sort of PAYG or contract for an iPod Touch.

In short: Not obsolete by any measure.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

It's looking rather expensive nowadays. Given that you can get a 32GB Motorola G for under £150. Or a Lumia with SD card for around £100. Although I don't know if MS have sorted out the music app since WinPho 7.

5. John Tserkezis

Never saw the point of the Touch. Kinda like a low end phone, without the comms gear, and a lower end processor, and more expensive storage, and...

1. RAMChYLD

Well, think of it this way

What the PFY calls it: The iPad Micro.

Unless Logitech et al would release a MFI bluetooth controller for the regular iPad, playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the thing is an invitation for RSI. Can't hold it for more than 5 minutes without suffering pain to the palm.

OTOH, a MFI gamepad for the iPhone fits an iPod Touch just as nicely.

2. Jonathan White

"Kinda like a low end phone, without the comms gear"

That's exactly the point. It's for people who want (or, more likely, have a kid that they want it for) a device that allows them to do 'smartphone' things without the possibility of phone bills, be they PAYG or contract. OK, there are still plenty of ways to talk to people on an iPod Touch - skype, for example - but they're pretty much all free.

It's a 'safe' device, for a specific market. It's not actually a phone or competition for phones and it was never intended to be.

6. Gordon 10

Missed opportunity

I always thought they should have used the iPod Touch form factor & case as their low-rent smart phone model.

Forget aping the 5s with the 5c. Put a basic smart phone (crap camera, no 4g) in a iPod touch shiny case and it will set like hot cakes. Important - don't lose the slimness. No iphone has ever felt as good in my hand as my touch does.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Missed opportunity

I agree the iPod Touch case feels nice. But I doubt it would hold sufficient battery to run the radios.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They have their place

My 32GB one from 6-7 years ago is still working fine. No I don't use it for the latest games etc but it's still the best way for me to listen to music basically because it will play for 30 hours and it doesn't forget how far through a track it is when I pause it (which iOS7 does and BB media player does).

If I wanted latest processor and games at high speed and all the apps then I'd probably have bought an iPad in the last couple of years.

8. Robert Ramsay

I still want my 1TB iPod "Classic"

That is all, thank you.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: I still want my 1TB iPod "Classic"

The problem with the iPod Classic is the rubbishy scrollwheel. It's OK for short lists, but get very tedious, very quickly. And does tend to end up selecting the thing either side of what you wanted. So I don't want to replace mine with another (it's on its last legs now). I want something with around 100GB of storage, but a much better UI. An iPod Touch with decent amounts of memory, or an SD card slot would be perfect. But Apple do like to massively overcharge for storage.

Samsung used to do a similar device, not sure if they still do. Or a cheap 'Droid phone may be an option. I might even look into Neil Young's Pono thingymajig. I quite like the idea of a flourescent yellow Toblerone...

1. toxicdragon

If you just want it for music I can recommend the sansa clip plus. Has expandable memory for micro SD and while the screen is very simple it seems to last ages on a charge.

1. Gannettt

And you can load Rockbox on it too.

2. Jay 2
        Meh

The good thing about the iPod "Classic" etc al is the storage space, namely > 100GB. For ages I wished Apple would have made a 128GB iPod Touch. but they didn't. So eventually I went from my 160GB Classic to a 64GB iPhone 4S. Annoyingly I have ~62GB of music/audiobooks/etc so I have to use a smart playlist to strip things down to fit onto the iPhone.

Now there is a 128GB iPad (insane flash price mark-up, but at least I got mine from the US), which can hold all above media as well as various apps and has enough space for video. So I'm hoping the iPhone 6 (or whatever it's called) comes in a (stupidly overpriced) 128GB flavour, but I'm not holding my breath...

9. k9gardner

Do people perform hardware upgrades on their iMacs? Why on earth? I thought the whole point of it was an all-in-one plug-and-play computer that you don't have to wank around with. That's what it's been for me, I love the beast, and relish the fact that I don't have to go into it for anything.

1. HipposRule
      Unhappy

And...

...I've got a 7 year old quad core Dell that I've never taken the side off. But, what does that or your comment have to do with the thread?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like