back to article Windows Server 2003 end of life: Plan your WS2012 migration now

Extended support for Windows Server 2003 ends on 14 July 2015, so you need to plan your migration now. The Reg has worked with Microsoft, Intel and HP to create a Regcast to guide you through the steps to help you make the best migration decisions for your business. No registration is required. Migrating to the latest version …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Bad day at the office?

"14 July next year might be a bad day at the office. "

If you're a Windows admin every day is a bad day at the office. Get yourselves a proper OS.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-06-24/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bad day at the office?

"If you're a Windows admin every day is a bad day at the office. Get yourselves a proper OS."

Working just fine here - you must need some competent Windows admins . Just finished migrating all our HeartBleed effected internet facing LAMP crap to IIS. Faster, needs less hardware and much easier to maintain with far fewer security vulnerabilities to worry about, and you don't risk getting RSI doing basic management tasks! :-)

It seems everyone else is doing the same too: http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/06/06/june-2014-web-server-survey.html

2. Ross K Silver badge

One of the comments under that Dilbert strip:

Isn't a unix what they call those men who worked for the japanese emperors; the ones who had specific reproductive organs removed?

1. Ross K Silver badge

Downvoted?

My post must have been offensive to a reader with no need for reproductive organs.

Or a linux admin.

Oh wait...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"14 July next year might be a bad day at the office. "

Hardly, the big one was the XP date, server 2003 less so as it doesn't usually have users sitting in front of it which tends to be the biggest risk. The only 2003 boxes I'd be concerned about would be the ones that are publicly facing. The rest are likely at very low risk.As it happens we won't have any left... but still...

3. Captain Scarlet
    Trollface

Sigh

/me fire up several Windows NT4 Servers just to troll the MS Marketting Department

Although plugged into a mini hub with several NT4 workstations so NER!

4. Tezfair
    FAIL

ouch

I have a customer I have recently quoted to do a near direct like for like replacement for their SBS 2003, eg, OS 12r2, Exchange 2013, SQL 2014 (not express). Before the hardware and CALs were factored in I was over £5k with SQL being the biggest cost.

Granted this is all lazy ball park figures based on a wander around google, but I don't think that it will come down much more than a grand.

I have recommended sitting on SBS and SA their Office up to 2010 from 2003 and see how the costs are next year.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: ouch

>I have a customer I have recently quoted to do a near direct like for like replacement for their SBS 2003, eg, OS 12r2, Exchange 2013, SQL 2014 (not express).

Personally, I would do one of the following:

1. Upgrade them to the last version of SBS ie. SBS 2011 - licenses are still available via the channel as this nicely simplifies the licencing issues.

2. Upgrade them to Office 365 et al.

3. Investigate one of the Linux based distributions that are intended as replacements for SBS.

My preference is to go with option 1 and investigate 3 for the next replacement in circa 2018.

I suspect Trevor Potts will have something to say on this.

5. busycoder99

Don't you mean

Plan your Linux migration now!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't you mean

Already completed our migrations - no Linux / legacy systems left here. Everything is on Server 2012 / Windows 7. A breeze to support and manage.

6. channel extended
    Trollface

AC's

Notice how many win AC's commented for serve '12.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: AC's

Sh! <quiet voice> It is the same one </quiet voice>

7. nedge2k

Personally I'm investigating Zentyal. Been waiting for 3.5, which has just dropped, then will see how well it performs.

Our biggest problem is Sage ODBC - which is Windows only and is, unfortunately, an important requirement. Hoping I can do something with Wine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like