back to article BlackBerry bottoms out: Vows to wow with new Berries

BlackBerry is staying in the handset market by the skin of its teeth by confirming two new models will arrive this year. The two new devices will be called BlackBerry Passport, a full touch device, and BlackBerry Classic, a QWERTY model designed to alleviate the awkwardness of BB10. The Passport and Classic will be released in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Waspy

it's fashionable to hate them and some might say they brought this on themselves but...

Good luck to them, I really love my Q10 and think BB10 is probably one of the most fluid and functional mobile OSes out there, and it runs android apps too, it really doesn't deserve such an undignified death.

In many ways BB10 is a kindred spirit to webOS...which is what worries me. It may happen to me all over again!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it's fashionable to hate them and some might say they brought this on themselves but...

Sounds like the sinking Blackberry ship reached the bottom of the ocean. It doesnt seem likely they can ever patch the holes and refloat it.

2. Tsunamijuan

I am starting to feel they are all talk ...

I love my blackberry, and I know I am not the only person that loves the torches. Which was the model I have been so waiting for an update too. However Its been about 5 years since I bought mine. and while short of replacing batteries its held up well. Its just not keeping up with the demand of business anymore.

Going off of blackberries general follow through, I would say add 1-4quarters onto any date they give, with the original feature set nothing expanded to be inline with where phones are at the time they release. That will probably be what comes out of them. Which is really a bummer.

3. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Up

wish them all the best

I have private BB with keyboard and it's really great device for emails and messaging. I feels little long in tooth now, but I just do not want to switch to touch-only devices. Q10 missed some features and I hope they can fix it.

Also, I really hope that BB will continue to develop and support this great real-time and POSIX compatible OS which is QNX. But to do that, they need to survive.

1. Afflicted.John

Re: wish them all the best

BB Classic for you then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty definitely last chance saloon BB...

So make it count.

5. Jim84

Qwerty Slider

A qwerty slider would be nice. But the keyboard on the last one they made a few years back was horrible. Not sure if it is possible to produce a slider with a decent keyboard. That would be the best of both worlds... provided they somehow kept it to 9mm overall thickness somehow.

6. Nathan 6
    FAIL

Sure sign your device is doa

When you BB7 devices outsell the new flashy BB10 stuff then yea, it maybe time walk away from mobile market. Or better yet just make $50 BB7 devices. I know I still miss mine.

7. James 51

Awkwardness of BB10? I find it a lot more satisfactory than either android or iphone. Bringing the trackpad in the classic overcomes the only drawback the Q10 has, accurately selecting text.

1. zebthecat

Agree absolutely with all that.

I swapped from to a Q10 from the HTC One and the BB10 Hub pisses all over the (non-existent) Android messaging alert "system".

8. TheRealRoland

That Blackberry Passport...

This is going to be a love-hate thing, but i like it. Yes, ugly as heck, but exactly what -I- want. A large touchscreen, and a physical blackberry keyboard. Right now i have the Samsung Note 2 - nice big screen, but i do miss that physical keyboard... And just the Blackberry OS in general. Compared to Android, -I- think things have been thought through much better, especially from a business-use point of view.

"Shut up and take my money!".

But, not holding my breath for Verizon to pick it up in the next couple of months :-(

9. Khaptain Silver badge

K.I.S.S.

As they as the don't try and compete with the other offering and that they remain focused to business I see no reason that they shouldn't succeed.

10. GrumpyOldMan

I love my Z10 and the BB10 OS. The promised 10.3 update looks great. The Z10 does all I need it but beginning to wish I had the Q10 keyboard, although the predictive system they have is brilliant once you get used to it. I have no need for millions of apps, and I agree with others that they should no focus on what they are best at - highly secure business phones. Teaming up with Amazon does NOT engender trust in security with me. Won't be using it with my phone.

11. zebthecat

Currently BB10 can run Android binaries impressively...

"but this requires user to sideload a third-party app called Snap first"

No it doesn't.

10.1 runs android apps without any of this snap sideloading malarkey.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Currently BB10 can run Android binaries impressively...

They really should make more of this fact. Not having the Audible app available put my other half off of getting a Blackberry, a few months back, which was a shame, as it seemed like an otherwise ideal (and well priced) handset.

1. Afflicted.John

Re: Currently BB10 can run Android binaries impressively...

Audible does not work no matter how you side load it....but now that Amazon are in on it there are rumours of a Prime VoD app and the Amazon MP3 going BB "native". If so Audible will be coming sooner than you think.

I don't trust Amazon - they are trojan horse scum bags but in this case I may well welcome to my bosom.

12. Jess

Love my Q5, but.

It has some very annoying omissions compared to the 9700 it replaced. Had I known about them beforehand, it may have lost BB a sale. (Because I wouldn't have know how good the rest of the system was.)

However it has some really nice features, too. Music sounds excellent, for example.

However, I don't think it will win over BB7 users that well because it doesn't use the same BB infrastructure, so if you are a corporate, you have to upgrade it and it doesn't run the same apps.

They should make all new high end phones dual boot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like