back to article Unicode ideogram list-site Emojipedia goes titsup. Wow. Did you just give us the finger?

An online encyclopaedia of emojis has been chucked offline after vast numbers of people visited the site to gawp at 250 new pictographic symbols. Industry standards body Unicode has just released a Version 7.0 of the Unicode Standard, adding 2,834 new characters including 250 "emoji" ideograms which range from a charming …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

I thought most emojis were bright yellow. I can't imagine it being possible to be a person of any more colour than that...

1. Lamont Cranston
      Unhappy

Jaundice is a terrible condition,

and we should not make fun of those suffering from it.

2. joeW
      Devil

Not *all* of them.....

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Seems to be up again

So there, that very important issue is solved. Now, onward to fix world hunger (and jaundice).

3. Munin
    Unhappy

Infographics

It's been a few years since I've read 'em, and I am a little tipsy at the moment, but is anyone else reminded of the infographics for illiterate persons in Stephenson's novels? I seem to recall them being used in Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, unless I'm mistaken. I don't mean to sound as though I'm some sort of Plato-decrying-the-youth type, but do we really need to further encourage a departure from reading and writing--from actual coherent sentence-making into symbology and pictures? But then, the very fact I've posted this comment indicates that the battle has already been lost, and I'd best bone up on the meanings of these 'emoji' lest I find myself illiterate in the new language of the kids-these-days.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm unclear (duh)

Does this mean I can create a login that translates to fuck off turtle?

5. oolor
    Thumb Up

oolor is very angry that these ponces got 1F595 backwards. Those bastards need to stop looking in the mirror when they come up with these things. It seems like it will take another eon for them to make my handle an emoji.

One can dream...

>>>Not a thumbs up, the committee can sit on it>>>

6. Velv
    Alert

And the lesson to be learned from this story is...

... when you want to publish something new on the Internet that might be popular, publish it secretly in a quiet little backwater first and let google cache make a copy.

Then just point the waiting world at google cache and let them handle the load.

This topic is closed for new posts.