back to article Redmond patches 66 flaws on Patch Tuesday

Microsoft has released updates for critical flaws in Word, Office, and Internet Explorer, along with firmware updates for its Surface 2 tablet line. Redmond said that the June edition of Patch Tuesday would address a total of 66 common vulnerabilities and exposures (CVE)–class vulns, most of them in Internet Explorer. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Wow!!!!

What we need is an Apple style Combo-updater which applies all patches since RTM to the current month.

I understand corporates want to pick and choose, so that they don't break legacy apps, but for the average home user (and the people like us that support them), a single combo update would be a godsend.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: the average home user

Will have just let it default to "automatically install important and recommended updates".

3. vahid

most of them in Internet Explorer

Why don't they just scrap it. It is a rubbish brower with nothing but flaws so why continue pumping it out, it has caused them nothing but issues. From law suites over unfair competition to having to update OS due to having a badly written browser.

Firefox / Chrome are absolutely fine and go ask any developer they absolutely hate IE so for the sake of a better life for developers/consumers and even MS developers. JUST SCRAP THAT SHIT

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: most of them in Internet Explorer

"having to update OS due to having a badly written browser"

Yawn! Another noob who read a story once about IE being some kind of kernel-level service rather than an ordinary app with *exactly* the same privileges as their beloved Firefox or Chrome.

"Firefox / Chrome are absolutely fine"

Yes, they are "fine" but actually they have their faults even if those are different faults from IE. It would be nice if Firefox supported MIME documents without an extension, or if Chrome supported them at all, just as it would have been nice if IE had supported SVG within a decade of everyone else and if its belated support had been available on the OS that so many IE users were still using, but we can live with all these foibles.

What *any* web developer with half a clue (and/or any knowledge of recent history) would say is that we *need* a choice and Trident is a choice. (RIP Presto.) Sadly, of course, most "web developers" seem to believe that HTML is a page description language and so any browser engine that doesn't put pixels in exactly the same places as their favourite browser must be broken. Earth calling those developers: Your brain is broken -- JUST SCRAP THAT SHIT.

1. vahid

Re: most of them in Internet Explorer

err a choice to make more muckery of rendering content ?

The problem is not choice, the problem is forward thinking/planning. Considering the other mentioned browsers are open source whilst microsoft works away closed off from everyone else and then you come on blasting away about ? IE had supported SVG ?

Thats all good and well but do 100% of the users who actually buy a pc to use for basic interaction need this feature or is that more suited to a specific business model that if needed could install IE and use it internally to work with SVG files.

"t would be nice if Firefox supported MIME documents without an extension, or if Chrome supported them at all"

I think it would be nice what type of documents you are trying to render in those browsers since they actually support most of the standard formats, As in wooo hold your horses you are using a browser and you want it to stream a specific type of video format that windows or a windows app has saved the file in.

No I am afraid the problem stands in having an awful browser dictated on top of the default OS sold to most people.

Considering the whole browser and development model is based on html and currently HTML5 i really don't think you are one to be critising what alternatives and further more somehow trying to blame the support of alternatives to html being any form of an excuse of windows having to patch their OS due to mainly faults within IE. IT IS LAUGHABLE HAHA

You are right people do need the choice, the choice to choose what OS it comes with and for Linux to be made available as an alternative by the manufacurers as an extra CD.

4. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Joke

"Redmond patches 66 flaws..."

...and in other news, Cupertino erects eleventy-seven new walls.

(Sorry, sometimes I get sexdaily dyslexia)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. vahid

RE: my posts and most of the patches related to IE - my consultancy advice is..

Deleted my posts and decided to write a decent response. It seems the IE patches is the usual cause for these updates and the reason being as per its lawsuite. The browser is too embedded (inbeded) with the actual OS. For what ever good it serves it seems to serve 10 times more evil.

I just think this whole browser thing needs a rethink, since the average user will only really be installing their machine and going to the ususal suspect places such as facebook and google and probably a few other gold mine places that is lurking to get them whilst their weak.

The current installation (not that I have touched it in years) but I presume still installs IE as per standard on the user's machine. I really think it should give the user the choice and put something that is so closely knitted with the OS as a higher choice. Not because to rank lets say firefox any better but to ensure when these weaknesses turn up it impacts less of the population. It would also be wise to alternate the top choice thus making the whole marketing of sitting there finding a vulnrability and then hoping to capture loads of users out with the trap goes out of the window(s).

On the other point I made if anyone has ever dabbled in website creation CSS etc well the problem you come across quite instantly is the variations in how things look when comparing IE to chrome/firefox. The other interesting aspect is all the different results depending if it is IE6,7,8,9 and so on. Meaning each one behaving like a totally different browser when it comes to the rendered output. http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/w3c_cssom.html this gives a good idea as to why this sort of thing happens.

I can see there are things such as activex that would be a useful feature etc but honestly if people wanted that they could then install IE by clicking an install icon in the menu most likely placed right next to shutdown so people can't miss it lol.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like