back to article HP unveils enlarged 460TB 7450 all-flash array

HP has added deduplication to its 3PAR 7450 all-flash arrays. That means Hewlett-Packard – keen to not waste a byte, and provide deduplication for 3PAR file operations – is now at last able to reclaim duplicated bytes of information from chunks of 3PAR block storage. It calls this Thin Deduplication. Dedupe is just for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PowerMan@thinksis

That's why I couldn't get a 1.92 TB USB drive at Fry's

That explains why I couldn't buy a USB drive at my local Fry's this past weekend - HP is buying up all of the cheap Flash using the consumer grade MLC rather than the Enterprise grade eMLC or SLC. I'm being sarcastic for those who might get bent out of shape by my comparison of USB drives with Flash vs the Flash used with SSD drives - yes, both use Flash technology but in different form factors. Heck, HP even knows better than the SSD vendor and is having them cut back on over-provisioning capacity - Whatever it takes to get the headline I guess. You know how there is a uproar in the grocery store over food makers using words like Lite, Lo-Calorie, Fat Free, Low Fat, Orgranic, etc? We need a oversight organization to straighten out all of the "marketing" liberty these vendors are taking with "Flash". All "Flash" is not created equal and I think this HP 3PAR may not be all that it claims to be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well since they're happy to provide a 5 year warranty with inline dedupe and a 6 nines guarantee it shows they're putting their money where their mouth is. Given the above what value prop do the many startups now really offer.HP can take an off the shelf 1.6TB drive, and due to their sparing and write optimizations they can then turn that into 1.9TB's of real usable capacity at no risk to my business. Then on top they can add all of their ASIC assisted nline thinning, dedupe (both will reduce write wear) as well as features like multitenancy and QOS. I assume the price provided in the article is before discount and before space savings, so what's not to like ?

Looks like some of he innovators may just have been out innovated.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it yellow or orange?

Wow, that sounds like they've sat through a Pure pitch and copied it verbatim.

1. Man Mountain

Re: Is it yellow or orange?

This sounds more scalable and more functional than Pure so looks like the similarity ends at the pitch. HP do have their flash strategy bang on. Why have a flash silo when you can have a tier 1 array, offer

1. Man Mountain

Re: Is it yellow or orange?

Too keen with enter key... Offering 6 x 9's availability and a lower price per GB. Why go for a niche product when you don't have to any more.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find he's pushing a private agenda with an IBM bias. IBM's bought in TMS flash systems don't have decent data services or deduplication, you need to add SVC for that and given they aren't particularly fast anyway and remain horrendously expensive, would you really want to add more latency and cost ? So innovation like this isn't going to be popular, especially true given the well publicised state of IBM's own storage business.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there a comparison between the different flash vendor offerings?

Looking for more information - does anyone have any comparisons between HP 3PAR, Pure, EMC and so on? Thank you!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there a comparison between the different flash vendor offerings?

Yes, 3PAR is much better :-)

1. Man Mountain

Re: Is there a comparison between the different flash vendor offerings?

Joking aside, with dedupe 3PAR now looks the real deal. One of the most scalable flash offerings, very very quick (certainly on a par with all but the most rapid of AFAs), fully functional, 6 x 9's, and flexible in that can have hybrid options as well. Very few companies will have just flash arrays (for some time) so if you are going to have a mixture of flash, hybrid and disk arrays, then 3PAR avoids the need for separate silos.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> he 1.92TB SSDs should be available in July and cost $14,315 each. That's $7.46 per effective GB of storage, a long way north of the claimed $2 per GB attainable through data reduction – so you better be certain of the data reduction ratio you're going to get before splashing out.

Is this list or street?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

List price

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why are you including Tegile

I am not sure you are making a fair comparison by comparing the 3PAR with Tegile. Tegile is a commodity play, which can't hit 99.999% (let alone 99.9999%).

1. Man Mountain

Re: why are you including Tegile

At $2/GB, you could argue that 3PAR is in the commodity space too. For a fully functional array, delivering 6 x 9's availability, to be in that price bracket is impressive!

This topic is closed for new posts.