back to article Canon offers a cloud just for still photos, not anything else. Weird

Japanese camera and printer behemoth Canon has started up a cloud photo storage service called irista. We wrote about the service's pre-beta instantiation here. You can upload any size photo file, within the limits of your capacity entitlement obviously. You don’t get any editing tools and only stills are supported, not videos …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mega.co.nz - 50 GB free

Missed one ^^

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing bollocks

"Canon calls it “an advanced, cloud-based image management platform that allows users to access, enjoy and manage their photo libraries like never before.”"

It's an online photo album. Got to get the "cloud" in there though.

1. John Riddoch

Re: Marketing bollocks

Yeah, quite - what's it doing new that Flickr doesn't? Note there may well be some fantastic features, but the marketing blurb doesn't tell me what they might be...

1. Lusty

"Yeah, quite - what's it doing new that Flickr doesn't?"

Anyone who has ever read the T's and C's on Flickr could probably answer that. All Canon need do is not require your firstborn child in exchange for picture storage and they are winning. I'm not usually the kind of person to even read conditions of use, but somehow I've decided against Flickr several times due to their legal jibber jabber.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

how about accidentally corrupt any images that have Exif data indicating that they were shot on:-

Apple,

Samsung,

Sony,

Nikon,

Panasonic,

Leica,

Red,

Olympus

etc

devices?

But the very small fine print (optically reduced by the imaging company) will tell you that you are giving them the rights to all your images for ever. (Just guessing and knowing Canon's Marketing Driven Doublespeak)

3. as2003

> what's it doing new that Flickr doesn't?

Not fucking up and alienating vast swathes of users?

Just read the support forums to get a taste of what's wrong with Flickr.

3. David Nash Silver badge

what's it doing new that Flickr doesn't?

Raw support?

Although as mentioned, the general non-photo-specific cloud providers would support that.

4. wub
    FAIL

A Few Kinks?

I decided to take a peek at Irista. The home page scrolls through a few introductory screens using large, friendly white '<' and '>' arrows on either side of the page. Cute, but when I try using the '<' to return to the home page, I consistently hit a 404 when my browser indicates I should be at the "SimpleToUse" page. Maybe I'll wait a couple of weeks to sign up...

5. Dieter Haussmann

Japanese make great hardware.

That's where it stops.

6. channel extended

Free Storage.

I get a thumb drive with 32GB for $15. Completely portable, email any photo, and use my photo editor for free. Online only - offers limited space, stolen photo's, copyright nightmare, lawyer fees.

1. Kris

Re: Free Storage.

Hope you don't lose it or have it crash on you.

2. El Presidente

Re: Free Storage.

32GB thumb drive? Half a day and it's full.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1TB from Flickr and a direct Flickr upload app on my Sony DSLR

They both say Hello.....

The camera itself is also less than a Cannon and easily outperforms one. I guess some people just buy what they know and can't be bothered to see if the market landscape has changed.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Comparing to Dropboxand the like?

Really, have you tired using Dropbox with thousands of photos, it's dreadful.It's a file store, not a photo gallery

Now comparing to Flikr,now that is much more like it

9. John Tserkezis

"Thank you for visiting Project1709! The Australia and New Zealand site is currently undergoing testing and maintenance."

Lazy shmucks. Not only working with a limite handful of formats, they haven't learned the Internet actually works worldwide. Or, more likely they haven't learned enough about the Australian/New Zealand legal system to be able to convincingly screw this side of the pond as all.

10. 尼尔

Chinese Clouds

You might call them the Great Clouds of China. Tencent, the owner of Wechat, give you 10TB, while 360Pan give you an amazing 36TB. I'm using both and find them very useable

11. El Presidente

Pointless

Image sucking, rights grabbing nonsense.

I expect this 'cool service' will be baked in to the firmware of the first Canon bodies to feature 4G

12. Sudem

I rarely want to upload more than stills, so Irista seemed a relatively good idea, with more free storage than Dropbox. I signed up and tried uploading half a dozen jpg photos. What a disaster! Took forever and ended up telling me that all uploads had failed, try again.While I appreciate that I maybe shouldn't complain about anything free, I have better things to do than spend all that time waiting for 'failure'.

13. Don Jefe

Missing The Point

What's the easiest way to get people to buy something they're already interested in, but don't really know what their options are? You label it 'professional' or for the 'advanced enthusiast'. You see it all the time in hand tools. Some general merchandise store that sells tools and they're all marked 'professional'. But few professional tools actually say 'professional' on them and aren't positioned as consumer tools. Key features and price make the difference between the consumer and true professional tools. Features and prices most consumers don't need and won't pay for.

At any rate, this isn't actually targeted at serious enthusiasts or professionals, or even moderately tech savvy users. This is an 'ecosystem' product aimed directly at the SLR crowd: The mid-upper middle class. The last time I read a market report (four-five years ago) on the consume photography industry the average SLR buyer was a 40+ year old professional who made $95k+ annual and were also the greatest purchasers of their camera manufacturers 'branded accessories' which all have crazy high margins (there's shit money in the camera bodies, it's like a game console or razor). The buyers like everything 'Canon' and will buy stuff they have no idea what it's for or how to use it, but it must be a good thing to have because the manufacturer wouldn't make it if it wasn't (Apple are many decades late to the 'ecosystem' party).

They'll buy this too. They're same people who buy all the accessories to go fly fishing a single time or all the stuff for backpacking and never use it again. Where they'll really buy it big is with a new camera purchase. Canon will surely offer an 'introductory' offer with each new camera and in the 'purchase orgasm they'll create an account and start using it and they won't ever change. They'll just keep if long after they've given the camera away, lost the camera in a move or sold it on eBay. Because that's what people do. They'll keep paying for something indefinitely if given the chance to do so. You just gotta get them started. Remember, the target audience won't even notice $10 monthly charges and Canon will continue getting paid for providing something the customer isn't using, which is nice revenue if you can get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing The Point

..."They'll buy this too. They're same people who buy all the accessories to go fly fishing a single time or all the stuff for backpacking and never use it again. "

I love these people. All my cameras and sports gear comes through them. I buy nothing new.

A world full of mingy tight arses like me would look like Albania. Yuk

14. pierce

I'll stick with smugmug. I tried the various free services, didn't like their albums and/or spamminess. smugmug isn't free, but its cheap enough, offers unlimited storage for a annual fee, and has good looking albums without any restrictions on embedding. Combined with Adobe Lightroom as the photo editing/management tool, it totally rocks, a couple clicks to publish an album, fix a few pics in it later, one click republish.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like