back to article Zuckerchan toss another $120 MEEELLION to schools in charity push

Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg is breaking out his wallet to further technology education and training in schools. Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan have announced that they will donate $120m to sponsor a program that will fund equipment in classrooms and provide training and support for students transitioning from primary to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to speak ill of philanthropy, but...

Seems self-serving in a way to target this at the greater San Francisco area where there has been a lot of class division recently over the effect all the dotcom millionaires from Google, Facebook, et al have been having on property values and the cost of living in the city. Trying to curry a bit of favor with them, perhaps?

There are a lot of places in the US with far greater need of aid for public education. Like across the bridge in Oakland, let alone places like Detroit. I'm sure all the Facebook employees who came too late to partake in the IPO party will appreciate that he's improving the public schools (many of the dot.com millionaires will send their kids to private schools)

Its his money, and he can do with it how he pleases, but he's not exactly getting the best bang for his buck versus the efforts of someone like Bill Gates. I may not admire his business practices, but he's got the right focus in his giving - results ahead of personal gain.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evil Man.

Mark Zuckerberg is the epitome of an evil misanthropic hypocrite. Schools in the United States are no longer schools at all. They have become indoctrination centers. Children are taught to become well behaved little drones susceptible to any whim of anyone that is placed in a position of authority over them. Mister Zuckerberg is hoping to spread that poison in San Francisco, just as he already has in New Jersey. Americans with any real sense take a hand in the education of their children by schooling them at home.

http://youtu.be/1cqXBk91ZgM

3. SisterClamp
    Black Helicopters

No no, DO speak ill of philanthropy...

How do you think the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation got started? Now they're supporting "Common Core" ("an educational initiative in the United States that details what K-12 students should know in English language arts and mathematics at the end of each grade" -- teh pedia of Wiki) with MEEEELLIONS of dollars. Interestingly, their own children don't attend schools that use the curriculum that they're pushing, er, promoting. Interesting, eh?

PS C'mon, el Reg, how many times do we have to ask for a tinfoil hat icon before we get one?

4. cyberelf
    Facepalm

What happened to Zuckerberg's $100 million Newark gift?

"What happens when you combine two political celebrities, one tech billionaire, powerful unions, and a municipal school district long considered a failure? The resulting mix of often indiscernible successes and failures are cataloged in The New Yorker's new examination of Newark school reform."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is merely buying PR

Let's assume they have $10B of active capital - if they cannot get gains of over 10% per annum of that they should sack their money manager. So that's $1B to spend per annum without even touching the base capital, and with the kind of expertise/political "support" that sort of money buys I reckon there won't me much loss to tax either.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't strike me as a gift in the context, more small change. However, let's not forget that for the recipients this may be a big deal - that's the good bit. Just don't allow that to make you forget that this is based on harming privacy on a global scale, a bit like the Gates Foundation's capital is based on, for instance, ripping of schools after they lured them in first with low prices.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where did the money go?

"Cory Booker, Chris Christie, and Mark Zuckerberg had a plan to reform Newark’s schools. They got an education." ref

7. Ascylto

"What we are trying to do is catalyze change by exploring and promoting the development of new interventions and new models,"

If she only knew what it means ... nobody else does.

What a load of ...

Bollocks!

8. jellypappa
    Pirate

just sent the zookerberk a email asking for ' just £2 a month '

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like