back to article Circuit City runs up the white flag

Circuit City's days as an independent are numbered. The ailing US electronics retailer last month received an unsolicited bid from Blockbuster, the ailing video store operator. It was less than whelmed by the approach. But the company capitulated today when presented with Blockbuster's secret weapon: a letter from corporate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig Barrowman
    Flame

Who gives a f#ck?

Circuit City in the US has always played second fiddle. Even "Best Buy" with their draconian return policy and wastoid employees has always been better, especially price-wise. I think it'll take a Herculean effort for anyone to turn Circuit City around. Just another generic electronics store, a concept that their competitors have done better. Anyone fancy a pool for the day they finally shut up shop?

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

And so it goes

The corporate big fish eats the little fish.

Before much longer there will only be a few dozen ginormous corporations in the US ... most of them monopolies in their fields.

3. J
    Gates Horns

Re: And so it goes

Erm... Before much longer? Look around once again...

4. Aodhhan
    Paris Hilton

Wigs

Circuit City targeted knowledgeable IT audience, where as Best Buy targeted the every day person, who doesn't know much of anything, except how to browse the Internet and play games.

Actually, Circuit City had the better deals when it came to computer equipment, and a much better selection of networking hardware. I've never seen a 24 port, 1GB, managed switch at Best Buy or a huge selection of motherboards and processors.

Best Buy also sales every other consumer electronic toy available, whereas CC did not. So in the long run, Best Buy was a smarter retailer. Especially when the knowledgeable IT audience began using I-net retailers like Tiger Direct etc to get their equipment at even lower prices. Whereas the every day user insists on purchasing over priced crap at Best Buy, and listen to their no knowledge, want to be computer engineers employees poor information. I still think Mark Russinovich should have taken Best Buy down to its knees!

Even Paris knows better than to shop at Best Buy!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ And So It Goes...

Circuit City has been a sinking ship for a while now, but they chopped a few more holes in the hull when they fired all their experienced IT sales people last year because "they made too much money", and replaced them with newbies, then offered to let the experienced employees come back after 60 days, but with a huge pay cut... Lots of people stopped shopping there, myself included.

Paris just 'cause she's a whole lot easier on the eyes than that guy who won't give a straight answer on XP at Micro$oft.

Late Night Larry

This topic is closed for new posts.