back to article ITV fined millions for phone fraud

ITV must pay £5.67m in fines for misleading viewers using its premium rate phonelines - the largest fine regulator Ofcom has ever imposed. The broadcaster will also pay out £7.8m in viewer compensation and to charity. The bulk of the fine was earned by Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, which must pay £3m for misleading …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

re: Catherine Tate

Anything that stops this completely unfunny person getting an award for comedy is fine by me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Lawyer speak..

"Finally, and for the avoidance of doubt, there is no suggestion that Robbie Williams, Anthony McPartlin or Declan Donnelly were aware of any of these issues."

Meaning: "..and there had better not be, either."

I'd be interested to know how the fine was calculated and whether or not the company and individuals involved are still better-off for running these scams. Somehow I suspect they are still giggling all the way to the bank.

My forumla would be..

Add all income from phone calls to the programs, along with all advertising revenue generated by them, add 20%.

3. Eponymous Cowherd
    Paris Hilton

Ant, Dec, and Robbie knew nothing?

A strange thing happened while I went out for lunch. A large pile of pig shit fell from the sky and landed right in front of me.

Paris, cos she'd believe it.

4. Hollerith

'People's Choice Awards'

These 'awards' have zero validity, importance or interest. It's like the Top 100 Whatever that Channel 5 etc use as schedule fodder. The idea of having to choose between Ant & Dec and Catherine Tate is the choice between eating polyester or nylon. Neither tasty nore good for you.

5. Mike Tree

Fine?

So what happens to the £5.67M fine?

6. Joe
    Joke

ITV

One could argue that people who watch this tat are too thick to understand any of this anyway. Perhaps Ant and Dec should present an "ITV Big Fine Saturday Special Extravaganza" where the couch potatoes vote for which charity the money goes to? There could be Tonight-style "investigative journalism" pieces with scary music so they know who the baddies are.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What exactly are executive producers?

Ant and Dec are listed as executive producers of their show and yet claim not to know the votes were rigged. Hmmm...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

erm...

Aren't Ant and Dec directors of the production company that produces their saturday night programme?

9. richard
    Stop

ant and decs new show......

"I'm an executive producer...get me out of here...."

...in a blacked-out limo, with lots of legal advice and a gormless, cheeky-chappie, 'wot happened there then?' grim on yer big, useless face.

better still - forget the fines - just ban ITV! anyone object?

10. Gordon Pryra
    Coat

re: Catherine Tate

I think the vote count was correct.

They deducted 99% of her votes due to her appaling performance in Dr Who

11. john oates

@ Mike

hello,

Just rang Ofcom - the fine goes to the Treasury.

cheers

john

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Lawyer speak (2)

It's a sad day when even lawyers are semi-illiterate... he/she misspelled "dependent"... a "dependant" (noun) is someone who is dependent on another.

13. Steve Crook

Money for old rope...

This looks like a good wheeze to get more money for our chancellor. I predict many more Of*** investigations that result in record fines...

14. Ad Fundum
    Alien

Donna Noble

I emailed the Beeb at the weekend to ask when they would be broadcasting Doctor Who episodes without Donna Noble/Catherine Tate. I have loved that program my whole life, but I just can't watch it any more. As soon as the BBC can be bovvered to return my email, I'll post the dates here. And on every other website known to man, woman, dalek, sontaran, ood...

15. Stuart Moore
    Alert

As much as I hate to say it...

Catherine Tate isn't nearly as bad in Dr Who as she was in the special. The last few episodes have worked quite well really...

16. Ed Courtenay
    Coat

@Ad Fundum

Yes, RTD could have cast a better companion than Catherine Tate, but seriously - she's the first one to make you switch off? Were you watching when Bonnie Langford was squealing along with 6Doc/7Doc? Adric? Teegan? Come on...

Mines the coat with the extra long scarf ensemble...

17. Ade W

Next headlline I'd like to see ...

... "BT fined millions for telecommunications fraud"

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Ant and Dec or Catherine Tate?

Well, I know which I'd prefer to find in my bed...

19. Luther Blissett

Fraud and FRAUD

If a little company like ITV can be fined so much for a little fraud in the overall scale of things, then how much should the big banks be fined for end-running around the regulations on their capital reserves by lending and then shoving the loans off balance sheet?

Like so much else, regulation is a simulation which requires occasional exercise in peripheral areas, as here, to occlude the fact that there is no regulation at the rotten core.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not enough... not even nearly enough

The company should've been fined the amount of fraud + a discretionary fine (i.e. 12 million minimum), and the executive producers of the show should've been fined as well. They are executive producers for a reason, and they should be aware of the consequences of this kind of fraud.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

PJ+Duncan => Gallowgate Productions =>Saturday Night Ripoff

www.gallowgatetv.com

"Gallowgate was founded in 2004 by two of British TV’s most successful stars, Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly."

"Gallowgate co-produces Saturday Night Takeaway and shares an interest in the format and ancillary rights with ITV"

Nice "work" if you can get it; better still if you can persuade loads of other suckers... viewers to pay you handsomely for it.

But if you get caught with your fingers in the till, as they and others have been, it should be more than a few quid at stake.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Spineless OFCOM

Typical OFCOM! They flatly refuse to do anything about the wastes of oxygen that are our TV, phone and bradband providers, and now they fine ITV what amounts to nothing more than pocket money to the multi multi multi multi million pound company! What a waste of space.

23. J-Wick
    Paris Hilton

Teegan...

I remember Teegan being an annoying American with a nice rack.

I *was* a teenager at the time though, so my standards were a lot lower.

Actually no, they're the same as they are now...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Tegan

Tegan was the annoying Australian.

J-Wick is probably thinking of Peri, who pretended to be American.

I can't stand Tate either but acknowledge this is merely personal prejudice and bear her no ill will.

Whatever our irrational feelings about the woman, if she received most votes she should have been given the award.

25. Adam T
    Paris Hilton

Blah

Nothing new about vote rigging in TV awards.

Catherine Tate losing out? What about Blue Planet losing out to Big Brother for best production a few years back?

Cough. Splutter. Come off it.

Paris, cause she appears to have a migraine.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hands off Tegan !

She's mine, all mine!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What an F-Ing Liberty!

What an F-Ing Liberty!

28. Slaine
    Thumb Up

@ John Oats

after: "Just rang Ofcom - the fine goes to the Treasury"... nice one, so the general public gets ripped off by a bunch of media crooks in cahootz with a bunch of telecommunications crooks, then the general public pay for the investigation via the Government Coffers and finally the fine (gathered from profits made by abusing the general public with adverts) goes straight to the treasury.

And they refer to the Triads as "organised crime". If I want to get shafted, I'd prefer to use my own thumb.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like