back to article AOL confirms security breach from spam attack

AOL has issued a warning to users that their personal information has been stolen by attackers, a week after the security of its servers was questioned. The net giant on Monday said that the same hackers behind last week's spam deluge were able to infiltrate its servers and lift information including email addresses, contact …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LoPath

2%

So how many users does that equate to... two?

2. RISC OS

Jeez...

... AOL still exists?

One lives and learns,

1. ratfox
      Coat

Re: Jeez...

I planned to post a mandatory "WTF AOL still exists" here, but I see it's been taken care of.

2. Rick Giles
      Joke

Re: Jeez...

"One lives and learns,"

Apparently not. They're still using AOL...

1. Spoonsinger

Re: Apparently not. They're still using AOL...

Loads of small companies still use it because they got suckered in during the 90's and can't be bothered to get proper hosting and new e-mail addresses because of the perceived disruption and cost of changing letter headings and informing clients about the new address. I'm not saying this is ideal, it's just the way things are.

3. Pierson
    Pint

Be where of thee spell chequers

"In the meantime, AOL is advising users to be weary of suspicious or unknown email messages."

Weary? I'm bloody exhausted!

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Be where of thee spell chequers

I'm both weary *and* wary of those mails.

It isn't the spell checkers that are at fault, it's the lack of proofreading and quality editors.

4. Mark 85

They're notifiying who?????

I have an account...and I've not seen anything, email, news or otherwise from AOL about this. It's funny that you have to read it about it elsewhere. I guess they're using the Yahoo! business model of "don't tell users jack sh**!!! or they'll get pissed and leave". Not many of us left, I guess but you'd think they would still let everyone know. Hell, it might even gain them a few users if they were upfront instead of hiding things like everyone else.

1. ratfox
      Angel

Re: They're notifiying who?????

Try your spam folder …

1. Mark 85

Re: They're notifiying who?????

While that might be a good idea for some, I crawl through the spam folder once a week as sometimes not spam goes there. AOL plays smoke and mirrors just like the others.

5. Notas Badoff
    Headmaster

Weary, yes, definitely, but...

"... advising users to be weary of ..."

Did you mean 'wary' or 'leery' ?

1. Gray
      Devil

Re: Weary, yes, definitely, but...

Ummm ... yeh, that too ... but the original warning was "to be weary of" ... which loosely translated could be taken to mean "damned sick and tired" of all this crap.

Lessee ... fountain pen, writing tablet, envelopes ...

"Hey, wife, where the 'ell did you put that packet of postage stamps?!"

6. Rick Giles
    Trollface

AOL

This is still a thing??

7. king of foo

I see

Some users STILL can't figure out how to uninstall AOL...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Wonder if Connie is still about.....

....and if you don't know who Connie is, ask your dad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wonder if Connie is still about.....

She grew her hair a bit longer and turned into the Amazon help assistant on the kindle fire ads (although seems to be slightly younger, oddly). The one with the Candy Crush Saga problem. Crush. Connie. sigh.

9. theinsanebrain

Address Book

Um don't forget that they accessed people's address books. Unfortunately, this has happened to ONE person I know. I wonder why all these security things are happening in April? FOOLS? OH yes XP is no longer getting updates. My conspiracy theory and I have a right to it.

10. khisanth

I have a netscape address which was given over to AOL so, yes I am an aol mail user :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like