back to article Just what could be inside Dropbox's new 'Home For Life'?

Dropbox has decided that file storage is boring and is now describing itself as a "Home For Life". This branding bonanza was announced at a press-packed event in San Francisco on Wednesday as the online storage company released several enhancements to its eponymous product. These include a photo application named "Carousel", …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G

Why not?

Put your entire online life in a place where you don't own it, with the added advantage that a back door key holder can get you in one slurp.

Dropbox's app permissions required on Android if given allows it to do more or less anything it wants.

Dropbox came bundled with Note anytime but I have disabled it in preference for doing my own airwalled backup that I have total control over.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"Home For Life".

As long as you don't mind sharing your life with the NSA...

AND as long as your files don't happen to share the same hash-value

with some other files that are subject to a DMCA takedown notice.

3. Aebleskiver

"Home For As Long As We Don't Go Bankrupt"

"Home For As Long As We Decide To Keep The Product Until We Get Rid Of It On A Whim"

And so is the cloud...

4. Anon5000

Not my home since Snowden leaks

Deleted everything on there as soon as it was obvious who had access. 50GB free due to having a Samsung phone isn't enough to persuade me otherwise. Stopped my phone from uploading photos there as soon as they were taken and now use a home NAS instead.

No amount of marketing or reputation rebuilding can bring back that sort of lost trust.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not my home since Snowden leaks

...and which company makes your NAS? Do they have a US office?

1. Anon5000

Re: Not my home since Snowden leaks

It's a Taiwanese company but I fail to see how that makes any difference unless you are inferring that every company with a US office backdoors their products? Tin foil hats are needed but cowboy hat sized is too big.

You have more control over your data when it's on your own devices and on your own network,

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

Cake?

The cake is a lie...

6. Chris 3

Marketing Slurry

My new favourite phrase. Well done.

7. RISC OS

A home for life...

...for you and the nsa

8. Elmer Phud

Precursor?

This sort of behaviour usualy leads (in a few months) to a 'reorganisation to maximise company efficiency and refocus our targets on our core product'.

Gone before christmas?

9. Intractable Potsherd

Hmmmmm ...

"Not quite sure how you can store ... WD40 ... within a storage app, "

Now, if someone *could* come up with that, so that e.g. the can of WD40 would be available wherever I need it (subject to connection), I'd probably pay for it, regardless of who can spy on it!

10. pacman7de
    Big Brother

Condoleezza Rice joins Dropbox ..

" “As a country, we are having a great national conversation and debate about exactly how to manage privacy concerns .. I look forward to helping Dropbox navigate it." ref

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like