back to article Deep desert XP-ocalypse averted as Reg man returns

Yesterday was day three of my XP-ocalypse aversion mission to upgrade the PCs at the remote Wirliyatjarrayi Learning Centre. The day started with the dew on the ground and the desert sun struggling to penetrate a low, hazy, layer of cloud. The air was just a tad sticky and I wondered if it might rain. I hoped not: the road to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10

Out of curiosity

Whats all this permit to enter the desert business? (Im a pom)

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Out of curiosity

It's to stop budgie-smugglers...

2. Dramoth

There are a large number of outback aboriginal communities where non-indigenous are prohibited from entering. To actually enter those communities you need to apply for a permit to enter. Around Pt Hedland, where I used to live, there are approximately 5 communities where you need a permit to enter to do work out there. And they have a massive list of prohibited items you are not allowed to carry out there (mostly alcohol and drugs).

I found it interesting that the petrol was caged up. It would appear that they have had issues in the past with petrol sniffers.

1. Kubla Cant

There are a large number of outback aboriginal communities where non-indigenous are prohibited from entering.

I don't want to upset anyone, but this sounds rather like apartheid. In the opposite direction, I suppose.

1. Neil of Qld

Really?

Can I turn up at your place and enter without permission?

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge

I've wondered, since his first story last year, why he's prohibited from taking pictures of the houses. Is it a religious thing?

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

A ham fisted response to a problem that's been ongoing since European settlement.

2. frank ly
    Thumb Up

re. " If I were a more skilled operator ..."

You are now Simon :) Well done and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We look forward to similar articles in the future.

3. Yesnomaybe

Enjoyable

A very interesting and entertaining article. Fascinating stuff. Many thanks. Looking forward to more like this.

4. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Well done, Simon! (And I hear the Australian Antarctic Survey need their computers updating...)

5. clanger9

Great write up!

I love these stories of IT in the real world.

Never mind all the pontificating how things ought to be, this is the (harsh) reality for many folk and it's great that wise heads have pitched in with valuable advice for the rest of us.

Simon, you should feel proud of what you've done for this community. Keep up the good work!!

6. James 100

"Install Windows. Install anti-virus. Install WiFi driver. Go online. Update anti-virus. Run Windows update from WSUS offline DVD. Install apps. Validate Windows and Office."

Back when I was doing this all too frequently, I found doing the updates and other applications first, then AV and online updates after that, worked much faster - otherwise, the AV software burns lots of CPU cycles doing real-time scanning of all the updates as they install. (It was XP I was rolling out in those days - fortunately, most of the larger Windows updates could be 'slipstreamed' into the installation directory beforehand, which also helped.)

The 'no photographing houses' thing does seem downright bizarre, as does the idea of needing a permit to go there!

1. Mark Solaris

I suspect the no photographing has to do with the taboo on Aboriginies appearing in photographs, it's against their culture to view images of dead people. Our TV stations have warnings before programs that persons of Aboriginal descent appear in them, in case that person has died etc. Also we're not supposed to name a dead Aboriginal person, you have to say Mr Smith, instead of their full name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_avoidance_practices

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From that Wikipedia article...

"Aboriginal custom throughout Australia bans a person from talking directly to their mother in law or even seeing her"

Oh how I wish that wasn't just restricted to Aboriginal custom.

7. Big-nosed Pengie

Haven't we done enough to the poor old Aborigines but we have to impose Windows on them too?

8. Coordinator
    Thumb Up

Great articles, Simon! I was there by your side in spirit. I'm so pleased you had the success you did and it was great hearing about the challenges and the wildlife. You've given a terrific overview of our working lives and the intersection with the locals' challenges with the mainstream systems. I'm looking forward to being there on your next visit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like