back to article Win XP usage down but not out as support cutoff deadline looms

Windows XP usage on the web is decreasing as the venerable operating system edges ever closer towards its "end of life" from Microsoft support next week. Data from cloud security firm's Qualys QualysGuard shows that the percentage of XP on machines decreased from 35 per cent as of January 2013 to 14 per cent in February 2014. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr_Pitiful

I 'had' to load up an XP Pro SP2 VM yesterday for a specific application.

And I don't see the NHS moving away from this anytime soon.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Win 2000

Do you think it's time I upgraded that laptop yet?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Genuine Question

If the apps are such a PITA to migrate away, have these people tried using Virtual Apps / Portable versions and running them on modern systems?

Or is that to obvious?

1. illiad

Re: Genuine Question

problem is, they have no clue what those are, its not 'Microsoft certified' That is why they stick with the over bloated adobe, when there are much better, nicer, smaller, faster alternatives about.. :( :(

1. Michael Habel

Gimp is kinda nice enough for some things... But Photoshop it ain't!

1. Euripides Pants

Re: But Photoshop it ain't!

You say that like its a Bad Thing.

2. Mag07

Industry specific software that would now often require thousands of dollars in licences, when the XP compatible license is valid forever....don't see my dad moving away from XP anytime soon. He doesn't have a bag of gold lying around handy and the software he uses is sufficient for his professional needs. Sadly, a number of niche programme developers are seeing the shift away from XP as an opportunity to frack people out of as much money as humanly possible. Some are happy to bend over and take it, some refuse to repeatedly pay for the same thing with prettier ui just because someone slapped a new version number on it, without modifying the functionality in any way, not counting the ever so trendy, "we're now in the cloud" only approach, we'll have your database now please, ty.

2. El Zed

Yes,

Regarding VMs, I've tried running a lot of XP software we use in virtual machines running under Win7, Linux and MacOS X. Whilst it works, and we use some packages already in VMs, there are still issues (e.g. DirectX weirdies, OpenGL support not quite 100%, direct access to hardware devices on host system still a bit flakey as far as some software is concerned)

As to portable versions, I've had a play with Spoon studio, whilst it works as well (and it's a strange experience watching one of our CAD packages run off a USB stick, it was a nice trick to show the boss..) I found that the portable versions still didn't like running on anything higher than XP (the OS they was written for).

1. El Zed

I forgot to add one thing, some of the software we run on the XP boxes is hardware dongled, mostly/all the old parallel port sort (with one serial dongle lurking somewhere), no updates available. I've yet to get one of these things to work properly under Win 7, in a VM or as a portable app.

..the OS they was written for..

Ugh!, 'they was'...I blame the painkillers for that one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best candidates?

"migrate away from this outdated (designed in the '90s) operating system to a newer version, with the best candidates being Windows 7 and Windows 8"

Windows 8, of course, having never being actually designed at all, unless you call the wet dreams of a marketing droid 'design'

1. h 2

Re: Best candidates?

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/21976/government-strikes-last-minute-deal-over-extended-windows-xp-support?_mout=1&utm_campaign=itpro_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Best candidates? @AC

"Windows 8, of course, having never being actually designed at all, unless you call the wet dreams of a marketing droid 'design'"

Think he came up with it while his wife was having a bad hair day and his kid had just experienced food poisoning at the kindergarten?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Qualys who?

Wondering how much were they paid to higlight this report and make into the Regsister as a priority news item! BAsed on what sample size?

1. Tank boy

Re: Qualys who?

Right? If there's hospitals or other closed systems, no worries. They'll just keep what they got and march on. I suspect there will be a market in the future for folks to patch up their XP software.

6. James Pickett

Even 10% (which seems a low estimate to me) of a very large number is still a large number. Come April 9th, when the sky hasn't fallen in, most XP users will just carry on as before, but without the nagware.

My 15-year old Toshiba laptop (upgraded from Win98 to 2k) was in use again last week, queuing up and playing sounds for a local theatre production, as it has done for a decade. I'll change it when it breaks.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

The first sentence of this article was "Windows XP usage on the web..." I presume the local theatre group aren't surfing the internet and reading their emails with your laptop. (And if they are, and it does get infected, then it can be replaced because it's not a bespoke controller for an MRI scanner and doesn't contain data people will miss.)

1. JDX Gold badge

There's bound to be some big scare story about gaping vulnerabilities found in XP, as soon as some business gets targeted. Probably blackhats already have stockpiled exploits, hoping that as long as they don't get discovered before the deadline, they will remain unfixed in XP. So maybe we'll see a wave of malware launched within a couple of days of EOL.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MIcrosoft+Evil Greed

Corporate scaremongering at an international level.

Want to force down our throat their new OS at £99 a pop ! Legalised extortion racket.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: MIcrosoft+Evil Greed

Grow up.

You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to. MS is under no obligation to support their ancient products.

1. Nigel 11

MS is under no obligation to support their ancient products.

I'd love to see that tested by someone with really deep pockets in a court of law. It's arguable that if Microsoft shipped a product that was defective in the first instance, and especially if they had been made aware of the defect at any time during the furst five years after they shipped it, then they *are* under an obligation to fix it.

This could be why they are giving a special deal to the UK govt and NHS. Are similar deals in place with other governments and huge customers? "We'll keep you happy just as long as you let us carry on screwing Joe Public and his small business".

Other big businesses won't rock the boat, because the precedent (if ever set) would hurt all of them.

1. El Andy

@Nigel 11:"Are similar deals in place with other governments and huge customers? "

Yes. In fact anyone can buy additional support and the bigger you are, the more clout you'll have to negotiate a bigger discount too.

8. Mark #255

Bye-bye, XP

I'm happy to report that my XP netbook (an Asus eeePC) is now running Ubuntu 12.04 as well as it did WinXP. WiFi, webcam, Bluetooth, touchpad, even the 3G dongle Just (F***ing) Worked. Most gratifying.

And for balance, the XP desktop (which does gaming duty) is midway through a transition to Win7 (hurray for eBay, and the Digital River official downloadable Windows ISOs).

1. Pookietoo

Re: hurray for eBay

I hope you got a genuine COA, and not just a hooky serial number.

1. Pookietoo
        Unhappy

Re: hurray for eBay

Why the thumbs down? Does someone think people should be paying for pirated software?

9. RobHib
    Windows

XP Stalwart!

Proudly an XP stalwart!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok, I've just overwritten the XP on my 12 year old HP laptop and installed a nice new shiny Linux distro, an OS designed in the,,,,, oh hang on

Nowt wrong with oldies I say

11. Tech Curmudgeon

EZ PZ

Ubuntu + VirtualBox w/XP. I run Windows "commando" - no AV. Don't need it - never use a browser in the XP instance.

12. Euripides Pants

If you stay below the MMT it ain't so bad

Windows is much more secure if you stay below the MMT (Maximum Microsoft Threshold). This means no Microsoft Office or Flight Simulator and using XPLite to uninstall all the stuff "welded" to the OS that you don't need for your applications. This also means uninstalling Notepad, Wordpad, Calculator,Minesweeper, Solitaire and Windows Media Player and replacing them with any of the free replacements out there.

What you end up with after all this is the equivalent of a Linux PC that can run Portable Apps.

13. adam 40 Silver badge

Outdated 'cos designed in the '90's??

Err - UNIX was designed in the '70's and is still going strong.

If you got the design right in the first place, you wouldn't be in this mess.....

Now - back to my Isambard Kingdom Brunel biography....

(P.S. W98? I have test equipment that runs W2000....)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Vista don't need anti-virus software ..

"Microsoft has announced that the Windows Vista code has been finalised, with Jim Allchin declaring it so safe that his seven year-old son doesn't need anti-virus software"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New pc without OS

So how easy it is now to buy a PC without any MS installed system? WOuld that mean one ask price reduction proportionate to the MS tax (OS)?

I think someone in France managed to win a case in such a scenario. IF we all started adopting this practice ( Those who can use Linux, mainly) , surely these bloosuckers wii sit up and take note?

1. Chemist

Re: New pc without OS

"So how easy it is now to buy a PC without any MS installed system?"

I bought a laptop in UK ~January without an OS, WIndows would have cost ~£60 more. OpenSUSE 13.1 installed in 7 mins without a hitch. This was a quad-core i7 with 8GB and a nice 1080 screen. Case is a little naff but otherwise everything works well. Just the Intel graphics but plenty fast enough for my purposes - will easily run 4 1080p/50 H264 videos simultaneously at ~15% CPU

£600 for 500GB version ( I save most stuff to a file server so I'm not bothered with SSD, with 8GB most programs I use regularly are in the cache anyway most of the time)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like