back to article Google asks April Fools: Want a job? Be our 'Pokemon Master'

Google's Maps team has made an early entry into this year's April Fools' crop of pranks with the introduction of Pokemon to the mobile application. The company said in a video that it would be adding the Pokemon-tracking functionality as part of a campaign to hire a new "Pokemon Master" position within the company. Those who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RyokuMas
    Trollface

Gotta track 'em all...

"The company said... that it would be adding the Pokemon-tracking functionality"

And why not? After all, they track everything else!

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Yeah... I suppose it would be funny...

If it were funny.

3. John Lilburne

How fucking sad.

4. Chika

Sounds like a load of pokeballs to me...

5. cyborg
    Facepalm

*Faints*

A wild GOOGLE appears.

6. Mr Shouty

Thoroughly daft

..but didn't stop the entire department playing it this morning. None found all 150 though.

7. fridaynightsmoke

Cool, so now we can find Pokemon on Google Maps

but they've still removed the ability to see, on a mobile on the move, which of two different routes is faster in current traffic.

8. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Eh, so...

does this mean Bing is Team Rocket? I can sort of see Ballmer as Meowth - big head, rotund body.

9. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Gotta catch 'em all..

and beat the crap outta them.

anyway, Google is dead now - have you seen the advert from Micro$haft in which everyone asked prefers the search results of Bing.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually...

I can see this being very popular game, if it wasn't an April fools joke.

11. Pen-y-gors

Another google April fool

This morning some silly thing appeared when I went into Google Mail offering me the option of having 'Shelfies' (Shared Selfies) as my theme - which would change every hour!

How I laughed...

12. David Gosnell

Translate to emoji

I am advised that their "translate to emoji" top-of-the-menu option on mobile Chrome was an April Fool too. Probably. Or perhaps just another case of anything to do with emoji and/or bitcoins being inexplicably cool, rather than self-evidently retarded. Assuming the latter, given its continued post-noon presence.

13. Neoc

I actually enjoyed playing the game. There seems to be concentrations of the little tykes - they're not evenly spread around the world. 86 down, 64 to go.

14. ShadowDragon8685

I wish that Google and Nintendo would team up to offer a more serious and real Pokémon app experience to their fanbase that has moved on beyond Nintendo limited-functionality, overpriced handhelds, but still does harbor a burning desire in their hearts to catch 'em all.

Plus, having wifire connectivity by default and data plans, it might let those of us in the middle, non-densely-populated bits of big, sprawling countries like the United States of America ACTUALLY have a Pokémon battle or trade with someone who isn't an NPC. Seriously, they designed all those features for Japan, where the average population density is something like two people per 50 cubic postage stamps. (There's a unit of measure for the El Reg Weights and Measurements Soviet. You can have it free of charge, too.)

Still, it was a fun thing to play with. To my dismay, I found that they hadn't been procedurally generated, though, just placed carefully. So, there were no Pokémon near my home. Oh well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like