back to article Apple patent will see Siri remind you to keep taking your meds

A recently-granted Apple patent seems to lay out some of Cupertino's thinking about the future of Siri and the Internet of Things: and it's spooky. Essentially, Apple sees the device you carry as acting as the interface between wetware like you and me, and the Internet of Things, represented by sensors in the home or office. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Thibault

Hold it!

>to analyse your movements in your home

Does that include... movements I might make while in the bathroom/loo/WC? That's taking things a bit far, I think--even for the NSA.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hold it!

Yes even that.

In the New World Order, the doorbell will ring whilst you take a shit, as you have just started your last roll and therefore you need to have a new one delivered.

It's ok, if you don't hear the doorbell as Big Data corp will send you an email and call your phone to make sure you do.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Hold it!

>to analyse your movements in your home

Yes NSA is quite capable of doing that, but don't expect it to track your movements in an aircraft....

2. James O'Brien
    Joke

What I dont get

Is how can it be that Apple would play the game this way. I mean they can make a whole lot more money if they implant a tracking chip in all the sheep^H^H^H^H^, I mean customers? They could charge a-lot more for the preliminary scan of people thetans, sell them informative literature about the process and why it will help with your thetan level, then claim that they are noticing blind spots in coverage (bathroom, your BDSM dungeon etc) for you they will then come out with "iMplant 2" (rinse and repeat this until your nose bleeds).

Seriously though I hope they do come out with this because I cant wait to see the "iMplant 5C" just so I can see someone running around in hot pink. Anyone who would allow this deserves whatever they get.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What I dont get

Try watching "Futurama - Attack of the Killer App"

3. Ian Michael Gumby

The scary part...

They are filing a patent.

It's not patentable because the concept isn't new or novel.

The sad thing is that it will be patented....

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: The scary part...

Precisely - how exactly is this significantly different from, say, a system to remind doctors when to order blood tests for a patient, based on the dates/times of previous tests, or the results of said tests...

...something that a colleague of mine (in a previous job) was working on in the early 90's?

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: The scary part...

Additional:

Apart from the magic words "on a mobile device"?

(The Dell 450 boxes we were using for this back then weren't exactly portable - though they were working on something similar for tablet PCs)

4. Timfy67
    Terminator

Prior art in Proteus IV?

I've seen Demon Seed enough times to know that this can only end badly....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

And one day...

...we will look back on the good old days when you thought for yourself.

<sigh>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sue ball in 3.2.1

When a delusional, paranoid schizophrenic goes on a rampage claiming a voice in his head was telling him to Go to Starbucks, Go to Starbucks, Go to Starbucks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Apple, fix a problem that just doesn't exist.

Package it in glass/chrome.

Claim it's better than sex.

Watch the fanbois flock.

8. wikkity

"A method for building an automated assistant, the method comprising: interfacing a service-oriented architecture comprising a plurality of services to an execution environment comprising an active ontology, wherein the active ontology models a domain and comprises a logical arrangement of a plurality of active processing elements, wherein each active processing element is configured to receive at least one fact relating to the modeled domain and to perform at least one action responsive to at least one received fact ..."

So they are trying to patent a rules engine then?

9. jimbo60

prior art?

I think a system of elevators in a high-rise would violate claim 1. Does this constitute prior art?

10. JaitcH
    WTF?

My meds scheme doesn't need a bloody Apple

Each morning I take my meds, then I move the two containers to just under the mirror, on my counter.

Later in the day, the cleaner comes around, cleans my private bathroom and also moves the two meds containers to the front edge of the counter.

This technique reminds me to take my medications. It's worked for years.

When I travel, I put mu meds in one pocket for even days and another for odd days. Never fails.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The curious thing for me about Apples interest in this market is that it would require apple to interface into all manor of things. Things they have no control over.

What is the one thing Apple do not like doing usually? Interfacing with non-apple things. Especially ones they do not have control over.

Unless they are just patent trolling to stop anyone else getting into this market?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Ah, but if those things are also Apple devices...

12. Andrew Kemp

Apple patenting ideas again...

13. PonsonbyDeVille

Up it goes!

I look forward to the occasion, when seated in my favorite restaurant quaffing Chateau Neuf Du Pape and tucking into a well earned Fois Gras, that the gentleman next to me is reminded by Siri that his next suppository is due for insertion. ".....blue end first sir !!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like