back to article 'Mommy got me an UltraVibe Pleasure 2000 for Xmas!' South Park: Stick of Truth

Over the last few seasons South Park has become a bit of a stinker – and, more often than not, licensed video game adaptations are pretty whiffy too. When I first heard rumblings of South Park: The Stick of Truth I was dubious whether it would be any good, despite assurances that the production was being overseen by the creators …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Valeyard

YES!

Wife downloaded it last night on steam, should all be activated and ready after work. That's my weekend sorted!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YES!

I don't use anything with nasty DRM like Steam, but it's already on TPB, so that's me sorted too...

1. Adam Foxton

I dont mind Steam's DRM- it doesnt need always-on Internet and their user agreement states that if the service gets turned off they'll patch it so you can still play the games. Also, they charge a reasonable price for the games- no price-gouging here- and dont seem to have exclusivity agreements, at least with the big studios. Plus you can take your Steam collection to as many PCs as you like.

If you need DRM, Steam's by far the best platform for it.

2. Valeyard

Yeah it's DRM but it's very flexible

My wife bought it and owns it, but because she's authorised me to her library i can play it anytime she's not which is pretty good imo

Also, as someone commenting on a website where a lot of us make our living writing software, you should that piracy is bad, mmkay?

2. weevil

They need to have some sort of cloud system that shows how many people picked Jew.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Mr.Garrison - "Eric did you just say the F word?"

Cartman - "Jew?"

3. John 120

PC version not censored

Seems EMEA versions of Xbox and PS3 are censored where PC versions are not, I know which platform I'm choosing!

1. Ketlan
      Thumb Up

Re: PC version not censored

Looking forward to this SO much - but people need to know about the censoring. More info here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/05/south-park-stick-of-truth-game-censored-europe

1. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

@Ketlan

Thanks for that link.

The worst part here though is that I get the impression that it might not even be Ubisoft which is pulling the strings here. Isn't it a tad odd that censoring basically only occurs on the consoles? Ones which have had "adult problems" before; now referring to certain gaming studios which wanted to release some more 'adult' material onto the networks but were denied.

Could it be possible that the age verification and protection schemes on both environments (so PSN and XBox alike) aren't up to the challenge as the powers that be (Microsoft / Sony) claim?

Obviously the black helicopter.

2. JaimieV

Re: PC version not censored

The consensus seems to be that the censored versions are slightly funnier than the non-censored ones, as Trey and Matt do voiceovers explaining what exactly was censored.

Disclaimer: I'm playing it this weekend.

4. Dr. Mouse

For me The Book of Mormon set the bar for anything related to Trey Parker and Matt Stone

This is definitely on my shortlist, too. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!

1. Captain Save-a-ho

Re: For me The Book of Mormon set the bar for anything related to Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Everyone has AIDS!

2. Irongut

Re: For me The Book of Mormon set the bar for anything related to Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Africa's not like The Lion King!

5. AMBxx Silver badge
    Unhappy

£40!!

Think I'll wait until it drops in price a bit

6. Teiwaz

Still gun-shy after that terrible N64 South Park game

unfunny and repetitive.

Other unclassics of comedy show related games include

Family Guy

most of the Simpsons games

How to be a Complete B*****d (on the C64)

The Young Ones (as above)

I really hope this one hasn't followed suite.

7. cortland

Rettysnitch too

Hey! Somebody stole my Wouff Hong!

8. Devils Avocado

My housemate bought it over Steam for the PC last night and I have to say that, for any South Park/RPG fans, it's one of the funniest things ever published. I was sat on my PC in our office and the stuff I was hearing come out of his speakers was just killing me dead...I could not concentrate on my business and just ended up watching this incredible sandbox episode of South Park. I'm definitely going to try and sneak it on to my machine ;)

9. sisk

I know it's probably not going to be popular, but....

Am I alone in finding a problem with a franchise that goes out of its way to be as offensive to as many people as possible and counts on dick and fart type jokes for its humor?

1. Irongut

Yes, yes you are. Douchebag.

(You seem to be missing the biting social commentary and satire in South Park. Try looking a little deeper than the knob gags. It isn't Family Guy, CIA Family Guy or Black Family Guy.)

2. Mike Flex

"Am I alone..."

No, but you're not likely to find many South Park sceptics in the middle of a South Park game review thread.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Am I alone?" - Francois Rabelais

The best social satire has relied on offensiveness, dick and fart jokes to keep audience attention since (at least) Francois Rabelais, in his massive attack on the corruption of the Church Gargantua et Pantagruel, took time out to discuss the best kind of arse wipes, how to frighten devils by showing them your fanny, how to dissuade your wife from farting in bed, and many related matters.

If you just want rude jokes without the satire, there's always Chaucer. After he relates the story of how a student cuckolds his landlord, he adds "When all had laughed...". The "all" includes a nun and a monk.

So no, you're surely not alone, but Western civilisation disagrees with you.

10. Irongut

I started playing last night having bought it on Steam last week. So far I'm a level 3 Thief / Assassin and loving it. The controls seem a little odd to me but tbh they may be standard for an RPG these days, I haven't played anything except MMOs, FPS & RTS in years. The humour is pure Parker / Stone and I can see my weekend being full of sniggers and crude 2D art. :)

11. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Mushroom

Girls

"Just saying, but it would have been nice to play a girl as I am like, you know, a fucking girl."

This is clearly impossible, as I have it on good authority from the Reg commentariat that women (or girls) do not and should not use computers and should instead be where they belong, taking care of the kids and making chicken pot pie for the menfolk. I refer you to any comment thread involving Marissa Meyer's pregnancy or any reference whatsoever to feminism. Exceptions possibly made for dead women such as Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper.

1. Ketlan
      Devil

Re: Girls

"Just saying, but it would have been nice to play a girl as I am like, you know, a fucking girl."

Sorry, what's a girl?

That's a geeky joke, by the way, just in case some miserable fucker doesn't get it.

1. sam bo

Got it ;-)

What I don't understand is why she's bragging about being a "fucking" girl - every girl I know fits that description - hardly worth emphasising ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Every girl you know?

You lucky bastard!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your post would be amusing if it wasn't for the Guardian today carrying the story of a young woman with two degrees in computer science who has to work in a hotel because nobody will give her a job.

1. cosymart
        Holmes

Lots of people have degrees, many have more than one. Does not necessarily mean that they are any good at anything in the work place. What is wrong with working at a hotel? One of my friends started working at a hotel and is now finance director of an international hotel chain.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Considering you can get a degree in "Nail Art", it doesn't really mean a great deal these days.

Oh i have a degree you know, never ever done anything practical, but managed to convince someone that i *appear* to know what i'm talking about.

Clarkson is a doctor of engineering. The only thing he can engineer is a nail into wood with a hammer.

Degrees prove nothing...

PS, JC 4 PM

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The worst sofwtare engineer I ever worked with ( a man) had three degrees including a PhD in computer science but describing him as completely useless would be unmeritted praise as he was much worse than that, not only producing absolutely nothing useful over more than a year but consuming a lot of time from people who could produce. I have no idea if the lady in question falls into this category or not but simply having degrees is not enough to know if it makes sense that she can or can't get a job she wants.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

so no experience then?

theres a job on a helldesk i just walked out of she could start with.

4. nsld
        Paris Hilton

The number of degrees is irrelevant, If the person has no communication or social skills they are effectively unemployable.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If the person has no communication or social skills they are effectively unemployable."

You obviously havn't worked in the public sector before....

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Your post would be amusing if it wasn't for the Guardian today carrying the story of a young woman >with two degrees in computer science who has to work in a hotel because nobody will give her a job.

Well there's the problem right there... I'd rate a degree in 'computer science' about the same as a degree in nail art.....

This topic is closed for new posts.