back to article WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH

Asteroid 2014 DX110 will, on Wednesday, March 5, pass Earth within 345,600km – that's closer than the Moon at 384,400km. The fly-by should be a beauty: the asteroid is a 30m (98ft) space rock that will whizz by at 2106 UTC (1306 PST, 1606 EST). Updated at 2345 UTC to add: See below for videos of the event. The Pan-STARRS 1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gomez Adams

You actually means just after *supper*.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Supper?

Isn't supper just what those ponces in the south east call what the rest of the country call dinner anyway?

To the rest of us supper is a snack before bed.

2. LosD

No, he means dinner. Unless your eating habits are like in the 1960s with the main meal being in the middle of the day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So if it had turned up on a British Sunday, it would have been a long while after dinner....

2. Zack Mollusc

Mealtimes

How can you have your main meal in the middle of the day?

You have to clock out, leave the premises, queue up at the sarnie shop, eat your sarnie, get back to work and clock back in again within 45 minutes. The main meal is when you get home after work, at tea time, approximately six PM.

1. Charles Manning

Work?

What is this interesting thing called work that you speak of?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Work?

>>"What is this interesting thing called work that you speak of?"

Tell you what, why don't you prise yourself away from websites and go to something called a "Job Centre". If you have any talent at anything, you'll get to find out.

1. BongoJoe
              Megaphone

Re: Work?

Tell you what, why don't you prise yourself away from websites and go to something called a "Job Centre". If you have any talent at anything, you'll get to find out.

Tell you what, if you have any talent at anything, then you needn't spend all of one's daylight hours 'working' for someone else and one could 'work' a couple of hours a day at home eating proper meals whenever one wishes.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

A lot later than teatime anyhow.

2. Bad Beaver

Video

Does not work.

1. Paul J Turner

Re: Video

Not for me either, none of their JW-Player stuff does, presumably because I use AdBlock.

I too wish they'd just use the Youtube address and skip their ad-shovelling.

This is mainly an IT News site, do they really assume that their audience is too dumb to get around it?

Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2AbPcaU73o

Re: Video

Nope doesn't even work with adblock off. I think it's just crap.

Anyhow if you want to watch the actual even pop over to http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/ at about half eight or so.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"the chance of an Earth impact are one-in-ten-million."

But one-in-ten-million chances occur 9 times out of 10!!

Re: "the chance of an Earth impact are one-in-ten-million."

No, it's only one in a million chances that crop up nine times out of ten. Apparently it has to be *exactly* one in a million to be 90% likely.

One in ten million has no more chance than one in a hundred.

2. AbelSoul
      Coat

Re: "the chance of an Earth impact are one-in-ten-million."

"But still they come..."

4. hitmouse

Thirty meters!

What are they all measuring?

1. FunkyEric
      Facepalm

Surely it should be measured in linguini?

1. Charles Manning

Meter

It is a new Reg unit - like swimming pool, London bus etc - just smaller.

Like feet vary until we standardise on one person's foot, meter will vary depending on whether we're using a light meter, gas meter, dial or digital, etc etc.

In order that we standardise this more rigorously, I decree that we use a meter close to the Greenwich Meridian. The width of the electricity meter in the Royal Observatory at Greenwich will do fine.

Beer (honourary) to the first comentard that gets down there and reports back the metric equivalent.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Meter

The foot was not based on anyone's actual foot. It's a silly myth made sillier by the fact that the measurement has been near-constant since minoan times. It's only the French that ever changed it (leading to the myth that Napoleon was short).

You can derive the foot from the motion of the stars:

http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/making-an-english-foot/

https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/chasing-the-greek-foot/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Meter

That's a pretty sweeping statement. The unit called the foot (pous in Greek, pes in Latin) has varied between around 275-330mm in different societies at different times. I wouldn't describe a 20% range as "near-constant".

Referring to the website you link to, I really find it hard to imagine the foreman of a Greek temple building site going to all that trouble to derive a unit, especially when there is not one, but there are many different, "Greek feet". It's far more probable that different building companies each evolved their own slightly different unit for use in construction - exactly as machine shops did for screw threads before Whitworth.

Whatever, the foot is a very variable unit and the system of units used by the US is especially silly - like when they divide pounds mass by pounds force in rocketry formulae and cancel them out. Don't get me started on the slug.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

You measure in metREs. So linguini would be as much use as a meter.

5. Toastan Buttar

The chances of anything hitting the Earth

Are ten-million to one they said.

But still they come!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Ketlan
    Alert

Fuck a duck...

They're getting closer (and more frequent).

1. ubergeek

Re: Fuck a duck...

I blame climate change!

No it's clearly due to austerity measures.

1. Werner McGoole

Dark matter, apparently.

1. Justin Stringfellow

I blame apple. I bet it's got rounded corners

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Whilst you concentrate on the sky, the NSA takes your data

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Whilst you concentrate on the sky, the NSA takes your data"

Good, I don't need to make backups any longer, I'll just download the NSA's copy of my data.

Thanks for reminding me that my data is safe.

2. Charles Manning

Blame Al Gore. That covers Apple and Climate Change in one hit.

No wonder we need such a big hockey stick - to protect us from these asteriods.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No it's clearly due to austerity measures.

Let's hope that Ed Milliband announces a freeze on the movement of all interplanetary object while a fundamental review of the laws of physics is undertaken to see if large objects such as the sun are exploiting their dominant gravitational position

8. Jim 59

2014 DX110

30 meter rock and we did not discover it until late February. Yikes.

Re: 2014 DX110

Surely we must have discovered it before then since it's documented as having whistled over our heads a couple of times in the last few decades.

1. Vulch

Usually means that after it was discovered and its orbit worked out, they've gone back to old photographs of the relevant area of sky and found a previously overlooked trace.

2. h4rm0ny

>>"30 meter rock and we did not discover it until late February. Yikes."

These, are small. The ones out there, are far away

3. Kevin Johnston

Lots of people knew about it but they were not famous Astronomers so didn't count

(Thank you for every quote Sir Terry Pratchett)

9. BongoJoe

Cloud Cover

I find it amusing that the Near Earth Observtory which watches out for these things is sited here in Wales.

I wonder if they've spotted it through the rainclouds yet or will it come as a suprise to them when it lands in Powys with a bit of a wallop.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Coat

Re: a bit of a wallop

More of a squelch in Wales, Shirley?

Splashdown?

Now, where's my umbrella.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Cloud Cover

The Wallops are in Hampshire, anyway.

10. gcla72
    Coat

Teaching Grammar to suck eggs

Is it "a 30 meter rock …" or 30 metre?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if asteroid time ...

... the pubs will be open. Apologies to the "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" crew some time back in the '70s

1. Ben Bonsall

Re: Well, if asteroid time ...

IT seems to be made of best stewing steak... It's meteorite.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Well, if asteroid time ... @Ben

Damn. You beat me to it!

12. heyrick Silver badge
    Meh

Meh.

Clouds held off. Nice view of the moon. Dumb lump of rock was either a no-show or it got shy and hid. Was out there for ten minutes either side of the target time. Now I'm putting the kettle on!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh.

You expected to see a thirty meter rock at a quarter million miles? No way, man.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh.

"Dumb lump of rock was either a no-show or it got shy and hid."

Please tell me that was meant to be a joke, rather than an indication of how low science education has gone?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It missed. What a pity.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video?

I can't make head nor tail of the time lapse video. It looks to me like every single star in shot is jumping about like a drunk at an office disco.

Is that the rock in the middle or a scratch on the lens?

If this is the quality of imagery they're working with no wonder they don't spot these things until they're sailing straight past ...

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Agreed. The time-lapse may be significant for some, but for me it was just ever-changing black splotches on a white background with a small grey streak in the middle.

No sense of impending doom, no perspective, not even an idea of where the Moon is.

Totally, utterly useless.

But hey, even that must be rather tricky to get a pic of, so kudos to whoever took the snaps. Next time, could you have a few arrows added to it, pointing to relevant celestial bodies ? Like, the Sun is this way <-, the Moon is that way -> ? Thanks in advance !

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No matter. Still bastard cloudy here in the NW...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't this thing in the news last year, and didn't NASA say it would pass by more than the distance of the moon? Good job chaps.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like