back to article P2P site cries traffic shaping foul at Canuck ISP

Vuze wants to know if other ISPs are calling the same plays as Comcast. Earlier this week, the Silicon-Valley P2P entertainment content distributor released a new study (PDF) that tracks the number of "reset packets" on the world's ISPs. Comcast - America's second largest internet provider - is facing an FCC investigation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pctechxp

appropriate nane for a communications director at a telco

Marie Carrier? you're 'avin' a laugh aintcha?

2. Peter Barcroft
    Flame

IBM Lotus Notes Being Throttled

I thought Microsoft had done that years ago

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Protecting Cable TV?

In Canada the major traffic shapers are Cable companies (telco just starting ie Bell) are the cable companies protecting their cable revenue by blocking P2P content???? Hummmm...

4. Bill Gould
    Paris Hilton

Cogeco throttles

I can confirm that at least. I was on with a tech after finding out they botched some of my account information. I specifically asked if they were throttling bandwidth and he replied "Only BitTorrent traffic, yes. Only BitTorrent."

Paris, because if someone needs throttled...

5. Brad

Cogeco certainly does

They throttled my bittorrent when I was a subscriber.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

English ISP - and not only P2P

I have no idea about P2P Resets, but a few days ago I was attempting to upload a large PHP file set to my web site via FTP and the connection was being reset every few seconds.

I tried different FTP clients and from different PCs, just in case it was a local problem but the resets kept happening. This was mid to late afternoon.

I tried again late at night and the whole lot went without a single error..

Seems like English ISPs are using the same techniques.

7. Neil

appropriate naMe

Carrier is likely french, thus pronounced 'care'-'e'-'a'

8. Inachu
    Flame

Comcast is also resetting World of Warcraft as of 4/25/08 !!!

Each time I tried to log on last night I got booted off and at the 4th attempt trying to log on then my entire comcast connection went dead.

9. daniel

@Neil

Carr-e-ay would be closer to it...

10. Ru

Re: Comcast is also resetting World of Warcraft

Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Or just a poor line.

Wasn't there an article on the reg quite recently about how an otherwise respectable researcher cried 'connection throttling!' when ut just turned out to be a few hours of router problems?

11. Spleen
    Stop

@Daniel @Neil

Cah-ree-ay would be closer, surely? Like the "Cah" in "cat" rather than the "caa" in "car".

Stop sign because my ISP really should block this pronunciation pedantry.

12. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

@Ru

"Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Or just a poor line. Wasn't there an article on the reg quite recently about how an otherwise respectable researcher cried 'connection throttling!' when ut just turned out to be a few hours of router problems?"

Yes, I think this is what you mean -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/23/bellovin_neutrality_mob_rule/

The US is in the middle of a McCarthyite hysteria. Best arrest anyone who talks funny.

A couple of years ago "Net Neutrality" was about discriminatory pricing. Now it's about traffic shaping. It'll be vapor trails, next. They look pretty sinister to me.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Hahahaha

Have you not realised that companies like BT, CPW and Tiscali have been traffic shaping for at least 12 months. Its was even advertised by the company that provides the traffic shaping hard and software on their own website up until a couple of months ago. http://www.sandvine.com/

Using this system your bandwith is slowed at peak times from certain sites. If you're taking the p*5s then this will impliment a FUP on you and basically, from what i understand is what is helping most major ISP's free up bandwith rather than investing in their own networks!

Interesting given Charles Dunstons (CEO CPW) speach about freedom of the internet for all.

Skull and crossbones because i can see it not going too well for some companies if legally challenged

14. Richard Bennett
    Thumb Down

Total Hysteria

Traffic shaping has been an operational imperative on IP networks from the beginning. See RFC 896 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc896.html) from 1984. Everybody does it, and always has.

Next thing we'll be hearing that IP networks packetize data to promote capitalism.

And BTW, Robb Toploski is not an "independent researcher," he's an unemployed sofware tester and fan of piracy tools; few people, if any, use Gnutella and EDonkey for legal downloads.

We're still waiting for him to make his packet captures public. It's one thing to make allegations, and another to back them up with hard data.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like