back to article Russian gay dating app dev: We've been BLOCKED just DAYS before Winter Olympics

A mobile dating app which is popular among Russia's gay community has reportedly been hacked and blocked in the country just days before the Black Sea coastal town of Sochi plays host to the Winter Olympics. Russian users of Hunters, a hook-up app that's similar to Grindr, were also sent threats that a controversial new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. theblackhand

I'm surprised

Where will Putin post his selfies now?

i.e. http://img.rt.com/files/politics/putin-talks-politically-correct-hunting/tuva-putin-khemchik-republic-537.si.jpg

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: I'm surprised

These are not selfies - they were taken by Chuck Norris, who usually carries Putin's fishing bags and stuff...

2. Semtex451

$50bn on Winter Olympics? Surely that is the Dubai Winter Olympics?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really, $50 billion hasn't been ACTUALLY been spent on the Olympics, most of it's gone to Putin's crony's.

2. DAN*tastik
      Devil

This, dogs being shot or put down, some people's houses collapsing because of the vibrations from the building sites... Maybe not Dubai, closer to my idea of Hell. Very pricey to keep snow there too, maybe that's why it's so expensive :)

3. 1Rafayal
    Joke

These Russian anti gay laws are a complete pain in the arse.

4. NumptyScrub

Non-traditional?

quote from the article: "Last year Russia enacted a controversial law prohibiting distribution of "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations" among minors."

I seem to recall homosexuality being mentioned in various texts from 1000+ years ago... if it has been happening for millennia then I reckon it's pretty "traditional" at this point. Is this law just badly worded?

1. Trollslayer

Re: Non-traditional?

There goes on-line dating of any kind.

2. fearnothing

Re: Non-traditional?

Not bad but isn't 1000 a bit of an understatement? It was commonplace in classical Greece 2500-3000 years ago...

5. Trollslayer
    Facepalm

So all this anti-gay stuff

And they have shared toilets?

1. squigbobble
      Trollface

Re: So all this anti-gay stuff

That's probably why they're so worried about it.

6. squigbobble

car crash

I guess there's too much security for someone to pull off another Munich Olympics style attack so I expect the Chechens and Dagestanis (ya like dags?) will just bomb Volgograd again or try to hit some form of mass transport that's heading for Sochi while it's still outside the security perimeter. If they're feeling audacious they might try carbombing one of the checkpoints. Or they might do nothing. Or they could bowl a googly and attack Moscow or another northwestern city while the sec forces gaze is averted.

Meanwhile there should be some amusing reactions to the one- or two-fingered gestures that various western countries have made by turning up the gaiety on their teams.

Also makes the G4S debacle look pretty tame, at least there was some sort of a refund.

7. drunk.smile

How many likes does it have amongst popular Russia sites like VK?

8. petur
    Facepalm

If the Russians are so anti-gay...

... why do they force journalist (of the same sex) to share beds at the Olympic village (due to hotel room shortage)?

9. TitterYeNot

Slightly hypocritical

While I heartily applaud the clamour of disapproval of Russian anti-homosexual law emanating from Western nations, I can't help but think of stones and glass houses.

I mean, it's barely been a decade since Section 28 was repealed here in the UK, so I think it's a bit early for us to sit here with smug, self righteous expressions on our faces...

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Slightly hypocritical

You are right...

Also, people forget that this new law actually enjoys wide support among the Russian population. The condemnation from the Western politicians and the baiting by BBC etc will be pointless and actually counterproductive as lots of people just see it as the case of strong Vlad standing in the way of the contagion spreading from the West.

I have to say that a lot of responsibility for this must be attributed to LGBT community itself and the tactics of their lobbyists. They aim for the quick but short-term gains through pressuring politicians and lawmakers while refusing to understand and disregarding what is it that is causing the resistance from the rest of the population. These tactics barely work in the West (where political correctness covers up a lot of latent homophobia) but they don't stand a chance in places like Russia.

The thing is - Russians are scared of gays because it is widely believed that homosexuality is a choice, a behavioural aberration originating from lack of self control and moral restraint. It is amazing how seemingly rational people would just pale at the thought of their kids being turned into homosexuals through bad influences, just as they fear of them becoming drug addicts.

The LGBT campaigners do not pay attention to that. In fact, some of the gay movements AFAIK are still based around the premise that sexuality is a voluntary choice, a matter of freedom of expression.

They should get their act together and agree among themselves on who they really are and then concentrate on the message that sexuality is not a choice or a contagious disease and direct their campaigns at educating the public. Oh, and they need patience, lots and lots of it, because a country like Russia cannot turn on the spot in a matter like that. You literally have to be prepared to wait for two or more generations until you get true public awareness and acceptance.

Trying to force the issue and achieve immediate results through gay parades and protests and diplomatic pressure will not work IMHO.

1. Aspirational

Re: Slightly hypocritical, no, we have a memory of what needs to be done

The biggest game changer in the acceptance of others is when you know them and are friends or colleagues or related to them.

This the Western gay community has learnt well and through being visible and open have changed the attitude to gay people. It is not that long ago that your comments on 'choice' and 'self-control' were applicable in the West.

So Pride marches, discussing being gay with friends, colleagues, relatives, all help to change opinion by removing ignorance. The Russian legislation stops all of that as it is defined as promotion and encourages discrimination by those that have never met a gay person.

Diplomatic pressure does work. No country wants to be identified as 'out of step' if they truly want to be respected and counted as a fair player on the world scene.

1. DiViDeD

Dunno about Pride Marches though. In Sydney the annual Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is a damn good reason to stay indoors with the doors and windows locked, if only to avoid the Liza Minnelli tributes.

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"discussing being gay with friends, colleagues, relatives, all help to change opinion by removing ignorance."

Yes, but the "footprint" is too small.

"So Pride marches ...... all help to change opinion by removing ignorance."

No! Not the marches. When the marches start all communication stops. People see the marches as an affront, a challenge and they respond automatically with aggression. This may be contained or masked by other factors - such as legality but it's there, even in the West. The new Russian law, stupid as it is, is a direct consequence of such societal "push back" against a perceived challenge from the gay community.

"Diplomatic pressure does work."

No, it doesn't. Russia just shrugs it off. They know nobody is going to go at war (cold or hot) with them because of a disagreement about anal sex. They know it's a bluff and they will call it.

Overall, I'm afraid, your suggestions exemplify the problems I already tried to outline in my earlier post - LGBT activists need a serious rethink on tactics.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Echoing UK in the 80s

Didn't the UK have something similar in the 80s? Remember Margaret Thatcher wanted some legislation to stop gay propaganda.

1. TitterYeNot

Re: Echoing UK in the 80s

Yeah that was Section 28 of the Local Government Act (see comment above) - it wasn't repealed till 2003.

11. Thomas 4

It could be worse

I'd be a lot more scared about that list of 72,000 gay people finding its way into the wrong hands and being used by hate groups. =(

12. Anthony Hulse

Section 28?

Mentioning Section 28 misses the point. Russia hasn't just put in a law designed to prevent local authorities giving services to LGBT people, it's being used to completely erase any sign of LGBT people from Russian life. It's either get back in the closet and shut up, or we both beat the crap out of you then arrest you for being a victim. You have to go back further than Thatcher for an equivalent situation in the UK.

1. BlueGreen

Re: Section 28?

> You have to go back further than Thatcher for an equivalent situation in the UK.

But not much.

(Funny thing about humans, most of them have just got to have something to hate or they get bored).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like