back to article Indian press focuses on Satya Nadella's love of cricket

"There's so many subplots, it's like reading a Russian novel," says new Redmondian-in-chief India's press is bursting with pride over the appointment of Satya Nadella as Microsoft's new chief executive officer, with reports emphasising his local education and fascination with cricket, India's national sport and obsession. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 85

Waterloo and Microsoft?

Wellington was quoted as saying that "the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eaton". So is Nadella leading MS to it's Waterloo?

Or is the Indian press sort of sucking up and hoping he'll move the whole thing to India?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Waterloo and Microsoft?

Move it to India? Most of it's there anyway....cf 'orrible, er, Oracle...

2. A Twig
      Headmaster

Ah yes - Eaton - I'm sure the darts team from the Eight Bells, doing their weekly bayonet practice on the village green, were vital at Quatre Bras...

Or did you mean Eton... :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or Eadon?

3. disgruntled yank

Eaton? That would be John Eaton Elementary School on Reno Road NW in Washington, DC? Wow, who knew.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge

"India's greatest player, Sachin Tendulkar"

Now, there's a way to start an argument! How about Sunil Gavaskar? Rahul Dravid? Or the bowling of Bishen Bedi or Kapil Dev? the Nawab of Pataudi for creating India as a competitive test nation? (yes, I'm really that old!).

1. hamcheeseandonion
      Thumb Up

Respect!

Now there's a name to conjure with...The Nawab of Pataudi....if you're ever tempted to change your name by deed poll, then this is the name to choose...at least for me....always made me dream of the pre-Raj India, when real princes ruled their own little, and not so little, feifdoms...with hundreds of elephants bedecked in cloth of gold, huge Sikh guards with razor sharp tulwars and, latterly, 35 gold-plated Rolls Royces in the stables...oh, and 23 and a half polo ponies (the resident tiger's still eating one).

Nawab of Pataudi...praise for your efforts to unite Indian national cricket, but even more praise for having such an evocative name.

(Clicky-ba)

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor

Tendulkar is indisputably India's greatest player and probably in the top five of all time. Yes, the players you mention are very significant. Especially the Nawab of Pataudi *senior*, as his son the junior Nawab also played for India.

3. Admiral Grace Hopper

Batters?

Batter is what you put fish in. The cricketer at the wicket with a bat in their hand is a "batsman", in both male and female versions of the game.

There are batters in rounders, but that's a childs' game and need not detain us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Batters?

"There are batters in rounders, but that's a childs' game and need not detain us."

The same may be said of baseball.

2. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Batters?

But .... but .... but - what do they call the bat-wielder in womens' cricket, then?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So now we'll see what a cricket player can do at the head of Microsoft

Once he has shown his mettle, maybe we will see the next MS CEO tout his experience at StarCraft as reference ?

Or maybe Counter-Strike:Global Operations ?

What would be the best game for leading Microsoft into the future ?

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

Windows 9 as the doosra release?

Mine's the one with the copy of The Cricketer in the pocket.

6. JurassicPark
    Alien

Career Over

So who is the Kevin Pietersen of Microsoft?

7. disgruntled yank

Refreshing

I know roughly zilch about cricket, but he should be a refreshing change from American-bred CEOs who like football (American) analogies.

8. implicateorder
    Pint

As much as I don't care about MicroShaft

I had to opine, being both of indian-origin as well as a lover of Cricket.

Yes. Sachin is the Best batsman the world has seen yet. But I'm also glad that he has retired.

No, batter is not a term used to describe the cricket bat wielder.

And indeed, Cricket has components of both an elaborate game of chess we well as athletics of pretty high caliber. I don't really care for russian novels, so I'd say the game of cricket sometimes can have "twists" that'll give M Knight Shyamalan nightmares.

;-)

9. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Test cricket, the oldest form of the game, takes place over five days and around 34 hours of play

"However, the Teutonic reputation for brutality is well-founded: their operas last three or four days"

If only they'd thought of cricket.

(At least the Stupidbowl is over mercifully quickly.)

This topic is closed for new posts.