back to article Is Friday the 13th bad for your health?

Also in this week's column: What colour is the most sexually attractive? Is heart rate correlated with birth order? Cross-cultural dispatches from the gender wars Is Friday the 13th bad for your health? Asked by Tanya Applegate of Ithaca, New York Superstitions have existed since humans became humans. Research backing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Karl Lattimer

Reason for the 13th

On Friday October 13th 1307 the vast majority of Knights Templar were executed throughout the world at the bequest of the catholic church.

That is the reason it became known as unlucky for some, the fact that it has become engrained in social conciousness to the point where people are stabbing themselves with pens and spoons to a greater degree on that day is moronic and anyone who succums to the superstition hasn't got a clue about the hidden message in the superstition. Education of this would obviously destroy immediately the idiocy of self harming accidents on that day.

Other superstitious tit bits.

It is unlucky to walk under a ladder in case something is dropped on you.

It is unlucky to cross someone on the stairs because if they are to slip you will be the one to bare the brunt of the fall.

It is unlucky to break a mirror for two reasons, firstly mirrors used to be made of silver and were expensive, and secondly because you can easily get tetanus from the broken glass.

For muslims it is forbidden to touch a pig or for a Jew to eat porcine meat, this is because pigs were used to clear battlefields of the dead and therefore were disease ridden animals, this has become a superstition in their religeon.

Simply said, if you really look into any unlucky superstition there is generally a good, logical, forgotten reason for it being so, except in the case of the templars, who were murdered because the catholics wanted their power back.

2. Dan

self fulfilling prophecy

I find it remarkably easy to explain away any such superstition, not that I disbelieve in such things, but when people have a fear of something, the tend to be more tense and anxious which could in itself be the cause of any elevated injuries they find. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy).

Why do people take it upon themselves to look into these seemingly mundane tasks. *Shurgs*

3. Christopher Woods

Heh

Well, since I was born, my birthday has fallen on Friday the 13th of October no less than 7 times (out of a possible 21) - and my 21st birthday is, yes, on a Friday the 13th.

So I don't know about you lot, but I've always considered it a very lucky day. My favourite number's 13 too. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Balderdash

I met my wife on Friday 13th May 1960 and in the intervening 46 years we have stayed together, I consider the day as LUCKY. We would have married on a Friday 13th but there was not one before I was sent to the Pacific for a year so we settled for Thursday 13th instead, it seems to have worked. It is only the predeliction of some people to see days as unlucky but in truth it is the PERSON

who is unlucky, days are neutral.

This topic is closed for new posts.