back to article AudioEngine AW1 wireless music system

It's not often wireless music streaming comes as easily as AudioEngine's AW1 makes it. Open the box, plug the transmitter and receiver in, select a track and press play. Audio across the room in...oh, under a minute. The AW1 pack comprises two almost identical units: the rocket-iconed transmitter and the planet-themed receiver …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Edwin

Sounds like a cool toy...

...that does what it says on the box.

However, since when does sheetrock on 2x4 qualify as 'well-constructed'? Transparant to WiFi, maybe, but for well-constructed I'll have my cement-fabbed Eurohome any day.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Gadzooks

Music transmitted wirelessly - through thin air? Whatever will they think of next.

4. Nano nano

Which Bach ?

Certainly JS didn't write any 'cello concerti .... partitas for unaccompanied 'cello, and trio sonatas, maybe.

5. Matt Thornton
    Dead Vulture

"relevant environment"

"To test the kit in a more relevant environment, we took the AW1 set home."

Mewonders if it ever made it's way back to the less relevant environment.

6. Patrick O'Reilly

Other OS's

And how would they work under, say, GNU/Linux or OpenSolaris?

7. Gary Littlemore
    Paris Hilton

Not sure???

Maybe because it's Monday, but I can't quite get my head around this.

Are you saying this could be used for wireless surround sound on my tele instead of having cables running around my living room?

8. Sam Jelfs
    Stop

@Edwin

I didn't realise sheetrock was a Victorian product... one would assume a victorian house to be built from fairly sturdy brick walls with no cavity and thick timber and joist floors... all the victorian places i've lived in around the UK have been built without a bit of dry wall / sheetrock anywhere.

9. Martin Usher

I use a low power FM transmitter for the same job

They're cheap and they can broadcast to any radio in the house. They're similar to the dongle you use to get music from a MP3 player to a car radio but have somewhat higher audio quality and power. They're legal in the US, questionable in the UK.

I don't understand why every attempt to mass market music stuff costs so much (and is so difficult to use).

10. Astarte

Sounds Interesting, but

too expensive.

11. Brady

Advantages over Airport Express + Airfoil

Airport Express and Airfoil are 2 of my favorite products, but no good for watching movies - way too much delay. The Audioengine wireless is about the same price as AE+AF, but there's no setup headaches and AW1 has a latency of under 20mS so it's fine for movies (no lip sync problems).

I have one AW1 pair going from my surround receiver out to my AS8 subwoofer and another pair going to powered rear left/right rear speakers (A5's of course).

As far as range goes, I get about 50-60 feet around my house through 1 floor and 2 walls. I also have 2 wireless networks running and no co-existence issues so far.

12. TMS9900
    Unhappy

Why?

What is the point of this?

How about: Old craptop or shitty old P75 in the corner of the the office. Share the Music folder. Place on wireless LAN. Now all office users can listen to anything they like.

Is it me, or is this device a completely pointless waste of time and money? A solution to a non-existant problem?

Sorry, I just don't get it...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like