back to article Five critical fixes on deck for Patch Tuesday

Microsoft is planning to release at least five critical fixes in next week's Patch Tuesday monthly security update. The company said that the planned patch release will include fixes for critical remote code execution flaws in versions of Windows, Office, and Internet Explorer, as well as Microsoft Exchange Server. Among the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery

Why is this even news?

Updates are a regular thing. Why is this even news worthy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is this even news?

Cause Microsoft gets a mention ..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To get the Linux trolls biting.

3. Sureo

Some Windows users like to have a heads up when patch Tuesday comes around. I appreciate Reg's report. Next time just skip this story.

2. 404

Adobe

'Adobe has also set aside the second Tuesday of the year for its scheduled security updates, though the company has yet to give word on any upcoming patch releases'

Really. That would be nice actually. Seems I can't reboot a workstation without Adobe wanting attention... Can't be just me.

oh pendant alert: "Tuesday of the year" - I believe there's 52 Tuesdays per year, which one do you speak of?

;)

1. Tromos

Re: Adobe

Which one? I believe it said the second one.

Mind you, if Adobe used all 52 and added Fridays too, it would be barely enough to patch their buggy crap.

1. 404

Got ya... so Adobe updates will arrive on January 14th - that clears that up - thanks!

;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oracle Java makes Adobe look like Fort Knox....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More

Manure for the heap.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't Win!

If they don't fix it people complain and when they do it's still Windows.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Can't Win!

"If they don't fix it people complain and when they do it's still Windows."

Here's an idea...

Why don't they record what caused these holes, then train their developers to not make the holes in the first place by a)Fixing the libraries they use (if that's the problem) or b)Fixing the developers.

Because then they'd only pay them once to write the code and could work on the next version in peace.

1. Trigun

@John Smith 19

Probably because the more that you over-plumb a piece of software, whether it be an OS or an app like Adobe Reader, the more it's a nightmare to detect and plug security holes.

There's a (small) excuse for OS's - especially windows which is a generalised OS designed for non-tech people. With Adobe and other app producing companies? I don't think they have as much excuse.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Why don't they record what caused these holes, then train their developers to not make the holes in the first place"

They already do that - and have lots of automated tools to find vulnerabilities as well - current Microsoft OSs have far fewer security vulnerabilities with fewer days at risk than other options such as enterprise Linux distributions or OS-X....Ditto the IE browser compared to Chrome, Firefox or Safari....

5. Tree
    Black Helicopters

Why so many versions of Office?

Microsoft wastes good talent tweaking and changing Office when they should use the programmers' time to actually improve the security which they obviously did not work on. 2003 is just as good as latest verson of Office. The only reason they change the cosmetics are (1) to make files incompatible with old versions and (2) sell the same stuff a second time to those suckers who already own it. Open Office and Libre Office are good enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why so many versions of Office?

"Open Office and Libre Office are good enough."

Instead of Notepad maybe. Not in the real world when compared to MS Office....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There may be a few places where Libre or Open office doesn't tick all the boxes but we might be better served writing documents that don't require a specific band of closed software.

I've used Open office / Libre office for years simply because I want to know I can work anywhere without being gouged or tripping over version problems.

Mind you MS have really handed the Open office people some help with the ribbon.

Drive the mentality that for any use you need "this specific bit of recognisable MS ware" then take away the gui people are used to amazingly some will wake from the MS stupor and look around "it's just software".

If you have enough mental agility to see beyond the software brand to the actual functionality you have greater freedom and more employability. In my world the ribbon has added no productivity just irritation and frustration.

People get used to (read productive) knowing set commands are in set locations, moving them or trying to work out “what is this ribbon offering me now?” breaks the mental flow and makes about as much sense as Metro on the desktop.

MS had the horse and are now busy turning it into a half-camel to prove “change is good”.

2. Steve Jackson

Because the paramount objective of new software is functionality, not security. How many new waypoints do you think are created with new code, and do you not think the tools test for as many possible variables as are known?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like