back to article Apple's 'Smart Dock' patent filing makes Siri your new roommate

Apple has filed a patent for a "Smart Dock" that essentially extends the range and expands the capabilities of its iOS Siri voice recognition, request, and command feature, giving the somewhat dim young thing a greater role in your home life. The US Patent and Trademark Office application, entitled "Smart Dock for Activating a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. julianh72
    Thumb Down

So ... does my car's integrated Bluetooth system infringe Apple's patent?

I have a 2012 Mazda with factory-integrated voice-activated Bluetooth control over my paired "electronic device". It seems to me that Apple's patent would seek to retrospectively apply to this system.

The user request may be a request to utilize one or more services, applications, and/or functionalities of [the] portable electronic device such as placing a phone call, playing multimedia content ... sending a message ...

Yep! That's exactly what my car's Bluetooth system does!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So ... does my car's integrated Bluetooth system infringe Apple's patent?

If it does what the patent claims then its prior art that would invalidate the patent ... however, that is a far too simplistic explanation, especially as it would be a case of Apple (good ole USofA) vs Mazda (foreigners intent on stealing American ideas)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So ... does my car's integrated Bluetooth system infringe Apple's patent?

Ford owned 35% of Mazda, not sure if they still have an interest, but the European Focus Mk1 and 2 were Mazda chassis, be hard to claim they stole your ideas when you're using their underpinnings...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fanbois will be truly excited by this..... Kerching kerching.

Lawyers are already rubbing their hands together.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It brings

It brings the. Fanbois virtual girlfriend so much closer to them.

"Hi Siri I'm home!"

2. David Webb

Dum de dum

Computer - Earl Grey - Hot

beep beep beep beep

Unable to comply Captain Picard, Star Fleet has not licenced the patent from Apple.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not again !

I wish Apple put as much time, energy and talent into developing their new and existing product line than they do in wording their patent applications so they cover every device and application known to man.

Then they would actually conform to their marketing image. These days, they seem to be putting more energy into retooling themselves as patent trolls with a product lineup that is 10 years old.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Not again !

"wording their patent applications so they cover every device and application known to man."

If you patent an idea, you want to try and include all the possible use cases so that an infringer can't claim their violation isn't covered. You'll find this is not unique to Apple patents

4. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

I'm sorry

I do not understand "wine two eye knead a mother purr ethereal wine Icahn juice ass EULA quest on die rectally?'"

Please try again.

5. Ian 55

Open the pod bay door, please HAL

What's the record for the most prior art?

6. paulc

Oh FFS...

come on US Patent Office, this is NOT novel to someone skilled in the art...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. mIRCat
    Coat

They forgot to mention...

Device may include, but not be limited to the inclusion of the kitchen sink.

Just throwing as many words/ ideas in there to make a patent novel seems to be a trend these days.

My coats the one with the kitchen sink; patent pending.

8. James 51

And this is the richest company in the world!?!?!

9. DJ 2

Available in Cydia as

Handsfree control,

My Iphone sits in the dock and listens to what I say.

10. Annihilator
    Go

GLC

"Siri, am I gangsta or what?"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooo I need to patent something....

A device that when told to do something, or decides to do something itself, on a scheduled or non-scheduled basis, makes another component or components, which may or may not be separate or may or may not be integrated within device or another component of the system. It may or may not need electricity or mechanical input to function, but may or may not also be powered by an unspecified action.

There that should do the trick.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Consultation

Why on Earth the patent offices wherever they exist, don't provide a probation period where an individual or a company could fill an objection online against a filling patent PREVIOUS to examination?

13. Tim Parker

IANAL but it would seem to me, aside from the bountiful prior art, that the use of the word 'typically' in the 'Background of the Invention' section 0003 and section 0004 invalidates the basic claim (or rather any innovative part of it). 'Typically' is not exclusive so permits the possibility that existing methods do not require whatever follows (which is true), it seems a bit like the word 'may' in this context - effectively meaning nothing at all.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple have lost the plot clutching at straws in a desperate bid to stave off the rumors that they are not the innovative company people once thought they were.

It's just more of the same tat that appeals to their cult.

Fakebook change culture.

iPhone made something that already existed a smother experience. It have not brought anything new to the fore.

iPad changed how people interacted with their "PC" experience.

Google glass have the potential to change culture again. A device that can stream what is actually happening can change everything, policing for one. No escaping when you jumped a red light as someone would have evidence of your actions. There would be nowhere to hide. A live stream of the tw*t who is going to assault you for wearing said device.

Apple need something that can change culture to be seen as innovative as some thought they were.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like