back to article Schmidt: 'Android mobes are a great Christmas present to an iPhone user!'

This was the week when Eric Schmidt had a lot to say for himself, first posting an informative guide for all the many friends he has who've been trying to migrate from iPhones over to Android. Mr Google informed the world via Google+: Many of my iPhone friends are converting to Android. The latest high-end phones from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've noticed a few people where I work moving from Android to iPhones. Not with much fanfare admittedly.

I'm guessing that people just want an easier life and the wide range of speaker docks.

I've just had the 4.4 Android update for my HTC One and it's pretty obvious that Android doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another advantage about working for Penny Arcade is you can be included in their shitty rape jokes.

#dickwolves #boycott

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ill have one - Eric

I am an Iphone user. How about my free chirstmas gift ??

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why I "bought" an Iphone when my HTC went tits up

I loved android, thought it was amazing compared to the "shitty" iPhone. I could do SO much more on it. Then my htc desire arrived and I was fairly happy with it, although I though they could have done a better job with the build quality, i was still smug as I inserting the 8Gb memory card that I already had from a previous device. 6 months later the battery compartment got a bit loose and it started turning off randomly "they all do that sir" was the sales monkies response. after 12months of playing games and downloading from the play store the phone stopped updating saying there "wasn't enough memory" even though there was 4Gb free on the card, weird. Taking out the card and updating worked, a bit of hassle and even more strange but I was okay with it.

Then came time for an upgrade from my network provider, I ordered the HTC sensation, more phone memory so less of a problem with the updates according to HTC who recognised, finally, there was an issue with the internal memory size, but rather than google fixing the issue, the manufacturers just chucked more memory at the problem hiding it for just long enough that the contract would be renewed and a new phone issued as an upgrade before most users spotted the issue, as a techie I didn't like this solution but I couldn't possibly go to crapple it was just too locked down for a techie like me.

After 12months the memory problem came back, but at least the build quality was better. When I thought this I should have bought a 2x4 from the builders yard to touch permanently...2 months later, phone started turning off...a bit of paper pushing the batter to the contacts solved the issue for the most part, so it was all good.

After 3 years of "workarounds" on the HTC I came to replace it with the next latest gen phone...But there was a problem, they were ALL the size of my face!! at least the top of the line ones. The sales drone claiming that Bigger is better was told to do one, whilst I went away and looked at my options. It turned out that the only phone that was a normal phone size but was also a fairly high end device was the iPhone. Over the 3 years of my "totally free OS" that "wasn't locked down like Apple" I realised that all I had done was play games and surf the net (and use it as, you know, an actual phone) so having a locked down device was fine with me.

I got the iPhone 5, and immediately I liked the feel of it, I could actually hold it in one hand without feeling like it would drop at any moment. After almost a year I have had 0 problems, no battery failing or working loose, no random turn offs, not suffering from the slow down of HTCs that happen over the years of using them. But the most important thing about it is that when I download an app, it works, perfectly, every single time. Compare candy crush on the iPhone to the same game on a Galaxy S3, or even the S4 (it's the same app) yes the screen on the samsung is MUCH bigger and does look nice, but the games are designed for the older devices and look total crap compared to the iPhone version. The same is true of every app I have installed on the iPhone compared to the Android version, It was always touch and go with the android apps, some were even just poor quality Java ports that ended up taking up a 1/4 of the screen and being unusable, very annoying, and ruining the experience.

I will not be going back to Android, the user experience just isn't mainstream enough yet, yes they might be able to do more, but what more do you need that being able to use it as an MP3 player in the car, make calls, surf the net and play some random games from time to time?

1. Babbit55

Re: Why I "bought" an Iphone when my HTC went tits up

I think your problem was buying HTC, they are quite poor build quality wise, I would say though that iPhone was not the only choice for high end smart phone. When my HTC Desire died on me I had a look around and picked up the Nokia 520, I really like it, runs nicely and the apps work well, overall I may be a bit of a windows phone convert.

I used to have an iPhone for work and after countless "Called Failed" messages when swapping from 3G to edge or not having at least 3 bars I was glad to be rid of it

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was going to point out where you were wrong with your comments, the re-read them and realised you play Candy Crush.

I need not say anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I was going to point out where you were wrong with your comments, the re-read them and realised you play Candy Crush. I need not say anything."

Actually you do need to say something, how about trying to explain your comments rather than attacking someones choice of how they waste 10mins of a tube ride?

1. lorisarvendu
          Trollface

"...how about trying to explain your comments rather than attacking someones choice of how they waste 10mins of a tube ride?"

How about getting a sense of humour and not hiding behind "Anonymous Coward"?

3. Sheep!
      Stop

iPhone - One brand running one version of the device-specific OS.

HTC - One iteration (among thousands) of a still pretty fragmented OS.

Writing off Android because of one device manufacturer (who is going to the wall because their phones aren't good enough to compete) is like refusing to ever drive a petrol-driven engine car again because you bought a crap make and didn't like it and deciding to only drive Teslas from now on because obviously if one petrol-engined car is crap they all must be. You absolutely cannot blame Android for the failings of HTC. I've had an S3 for 18 months now and I've never had a single problem with it. All the apps work and display well on it, the screen is amazing and it's fast as hell with a manageable battery life, but I'm not stupid enough to think that because mine has worked so well ALL Android phones must work so well, that would be as stupid as saying because my HTC was crap ALL Android phones are crap. That's just a nonsense extrapolation.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Miek
    Coffee/keyboard

"Macho humour at the expense of women is no longer cool Microsoft. And neither is Internet Explorer." -- You, Gentleman Sir! Owe me a new keyboard and mouse!!!

7. Silver
    WTF?

Expensive Christmas present

An unlocked Galaxy S4 goes for £384 on Amazon. The cheapest Nexus 5 is £299.

According to VoucherCodes, the average amount a person spends on /all/ Christmas presents is £240.

It might be more realistic for him to suggest buying your other half a Moto G and then a pair of socks for each of the other members in your family.

8. auburnman

Interestingly, I think you could make the argument that those accusing Microsoft of being sexist are the sexist ones when they assume a gender was implied with the knitting comment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately, there are many people in this world whose sole purpose in life is to be offended. See also the DVLA number plate story from the other day.

9. Halfmad

I feel like I'm missing out on the hate party by having no brand loyalty. I don't care how shiny it is, I buy what's best at the time or is more likely to suit my future needs, not based on badge or corporate branding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're not missing much unless you like sitting in a circle getting your monkey spanked whilst spanking someone elses monkey.

Never saw the attraction myself.

10. Chris T Almighty

If you like iPhones, stick with them

I really like Android (especially my Nexus 7 without all the crap that my Samsung phone has), but I would never try and persuade my wife to ditch her iPhone. For some people, Apple's approach to security meaning virtually no risk of malware (that I've ever heard, anyway) is just easier.

I don't like the company, or a lot of their practises, but as a safe and hassle free piece of kit the iphone is the right choice for a lot of the population.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like