back to article Who wants a Xeon-powered, 12-core, RAID 10 … LAPTOP?

The exotic laptop lads at Eurocom have just unleashed another in their series of very peculiar contraptions: the Panther 5SE laptop. Eurocom won't like us calling it a laptop: the official name is “Mobile Server supercomputer-class laptop”. Supercomputer is perhaps a bit over the top, even if the computer can pack a 12-core, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory

"during a crisis"

Or indeed, during Crysis...

2. Christian Berger

As many things...

...it's a product for a market. It may not be a big market, but I'm glad for every market that's satisfied.

It does remind me a bit of an actual server I've seen somewhere in the early 1990s. It was a big tower case with a keyboard and an LCD screen (probably monocrome back then) on top. So it looked like a laptop on top of a tower case.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

WTF El Reg???

You don't buy one spare battery. You buy 10 of them, and stick them in a 50kg overhead bag, and keep that sucker blowing hot air on the dumbass in the seat in front of you, all the way from New York to London. While you play a mind-blowingly intense game of BF4.

Do you guys think before you write this stuff?

4. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Flame

Portable Heater

Just in time for winter

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

It's a bit of a beast

Title says it all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a bit of a beast

In the left corner we have a Raspberry Pi with lighttp-webserver.... and ... in the right corner we 'ave... ze beast!

6. Bill the Sys Admin

Beast Mode Enabled

looks like a workhorse!

7. Tim Roberts 1

I estimate

that the global demand for these will be approximately 4

1. GrumpyOldMan

Re: I estimate

Wasn't it Billy-boy Gates that said that about PCs in the 80's?

I'm just saying....!

1. Tim Roberts 1

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

1. Steve Todd

For a computer, as it was then implemented, he was right. They were big, heavy, expensive, used huge amounts of power and needed a trained support staff to manage them.

I don't think that this machine has the same scope for reduction in size, power and price. What's more a standard laptop is good enough these days to demonstrate server software, or you run the job on a cloud server.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Funny, I was thinking of buying 4...

8. McVirtual
    Facepalm

Should be capable of running Windows 8.1 for the next year, but then obsolete.

1. AndyS

Maybe not even, I didn't read notice a mention of a touch-screen in the review.

9. AMB-York Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Maybe 5 years late

Would have been great as a demo laptop a few years ago. Able to run some decent server software rather than struggling with a laptop with too little RAM and slow drives. Now, you just fire up a cloud server, so not so useful.

Paris cos she was better 5 years ago too.

10. Steven Raith

Hot server replacement?

To be honest, if you need a basic server to run in a snap, most mid-range laptops would work temporarily for the two to three business days it would take the average IT dept to source a replacement server, and build it - quad core, 16gb RAM, and an aftermarket SSD.

Obviously if you're running a major service off your servers, you should have at least one hot spare server floating around, but most SMBs could run off a £600 laptop for a solid week, I'd wager.

Still, it's an interesting piece of tech at worst, and I'm sure as, for example, a portable test environment for a certain type of highly techincal consultant, it'd be pretty tasty.

Steven R

11. K
    Facepalm

"but those servers wouldn't fit into the overhead on a plane"

I'd get close.. just bought myself a 1U server with 192GB RAM, 2x10C Xeons, would fit just nicely in my travel back pack. Unfortunately though, the battery is 3U and weights about 60Kg..

12. Fihart

Pants.

"Get out your re-enforced asbestos pants, sysadmins, it weighs in at 5.5 kilograms"

Reinforced, surely ?

1. Great Bu

Re: Pants.

No, they used to force people to wear the asbestos pants, then they stopped but now that policy is being re-enforced........

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Pants.

Over here in Canada (I'm a Brit living abroad at the moment), it still amuses me to see clothes shop signs saying such things as "Black Pant". I imagine a dog sitting there with its tongue hanging out.

Yeah, I know it's technically correct, but my native lingo puts me mostly in mind of the under- variety.

13. Nick Ryan Silver badge

This beast sounds much more like a (server software) development laptop or a heavy duty demonstrator than anything any more "normal" user would ever think appropriate.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More RAM.

It's all going to ram. Simple as.

When it's quarter of a terabyte RAM, with a dozen USB3 ports to SSDs then I'll be impressed.

15. Sir Sham Cad

Demo box

Years ago I worked for a company whose Big Thing was some heavy duty image crunching done in a big Data Centre. We ran a demo in Excel one year and had to do the processing on normal laptops locally which took a hell of a lot longer than the real world scenario of doing it online in the Server Farm which kind of took a bit of the gloss off our otherwise well received offering. Something like this would have been perfect in that scenario. It would also work brilliantly for client site demos or proof of concept work.

Also it'd make a banging gaming rig!

16. ResourceKit

Seams like a very useful tool, to me. It' ain't a laptop, for sure. However, if you consider one of it's intended purposes, as a sysadmin myself, I'd like to have one of these. Consider the scenario: You're a sysadmin in a company that supports 50-100 SMBs and primary schools, each of which has one or two small servers at most. So now, you're supporting maybe 150 servers that have between one and two processors. Many of them will have only 16GB RAM. Some will have even less, given that they support only 5 users. They probably have 1-2TB of data at most. You buy one of these and install a Hyper-V environment. Now, when on of your 150 servers has a hardware failure, you pick up your "Portable Server" and walk into their office, the wind blowing through your hair as you rip of your suit to reveal your latex Super-Tech underwear as you come to their rescue. You plug in your Portable Server and, using one of the Hyper-V guests that you have pre-prepared, you restore their backup (which you check rigorously and frequently) and, within a short space of time, your client is back up and running, while you drag their 5 year old beast of a server off to the scrapyard. You now have a week or two to build a replacement server, rather than a day or two. Lots less stress for you, lots less stress for your client. Success all round.

Yes, as a sysadmin supporting lots of SMBs and primary schools with small scale servers, I'd love to have one of these!

17. Matt_payne666

Demo server...

Yes, there is a use... running live demos... currently we wheel about a small rack with a couple of older servers and a rack ups - this would do a similar job, but fit in a bag and produce less noise in the conference room...

but - it wouldn't be as powerful and with all the gear needed, mics, pa, etc the space saved wouldn't be quite so dramatic...

and... an i7 laptop could be specced to do the same job in this disposable data environment

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look, no flight case!

I know of a couple of companies that would see a lot of benefit from this.

Emergency drop-in replacement,

Desktop development rig to avoid tooling networks,

As above, demo unit,

Maintenance tool.

19. M Gale

The return of the luggable?

Seems like my Amstrad PPC640's great great great great great great great grandson. And about as hefty.

iWantOne.

20. Stretch

what does it get on LinPack?

Anyway, "server replacement"? An Amazon EC2 instance doesn't weigh anything...

1. M Gale

Well, so long as you don't mind Amazon peeking at everything you do and potentially stealing your idea.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optionally

A lot of the higher end Schenker Notebooks offer most of what this does at a lot less cash.

22. Mikel

The cure

Obviously the cure for a present painful forced OS platform migration is to build into the plan another future painful forced OS migration. This future pain can be acquired from the vendor of your present pain.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see people building higher end systems again

...instead of flooding the market with more identical spec crap. It also costs less that either of the last two Dell rack servers I bought. Only slightly more expensive that an Alienware, (or VooDoo back in the day) and without a funky alien head.

If I was still running a site with more than 5 racks I'd get one for a crash cart. It would have been great for trade shows too, but the 1 network port thing is a drag.

Think dual SFP ports to patch into a 10G racktop switch or storage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like