back to article Qualcomm slips out new Snapdragon hardness to gush 4K vids into palms

While the media industry is convinced 4K televisions are the next big thing, Qualcomm claims its new Snapdragon 805 processor will bring 4,000 pixel content to smartphones. "Using a smartphone or tablet powered by Snapdragon 805 processor is like having an UltraHD home theater in your pocket, with 4K video, imaging and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Muhammad Imran/mi1400

WinPho/Android Sanpdragon 800/805 still DirectX-9.0c

Thing is MS pushed WinPho so hard down the throats of ppl to succeed, yet they didnt want to release any android killing homegrown secret sauce... They still released and releasing WinPho on a DirectX-9.0c hardware (DX9.0c released Aug-2004) .. when if they truely would have wanted to double cross android they could have partnered snapdragon/samsung etc for a hardware with DX-11.x .... this shows that even when companies are desperate to succeed they are still slave of their marketing department's thinking. another example is BB Q10 and Q5 keyboards instead of Q5 atleast retaining that quality "keyboard" RIM delibratetly lowered its keyboard quality too. So Snapdragon 805 to me is nothing... in very few months they will have to abandon it anyway to cling to x64 bandwagon. and then in few more months they will start "EDUCATING" we/us lame public how DX-11 on phone is good for us.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"dual-band 802.11ac to download or stream all that lovely 4K content"

802.11ac is 5GHz only. The 2.4Ghz band can support B/G/N and the 5GHz A/N/ac.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Krait 450 and Adreno 420

Any more details on these parts?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a stupid idea

Rather than use the additional power to increase graphics speed, or save power, they're going to go from ridiculous pixel density to stark raving mad pixel density.

I'm sure when the first 4K phones come out, there will be some fanboys slagging the competition for having less, and claiming that somehow 4K resolution in a phone isn't a total freaking waste.

I'm not convinced 4K even makes sense in a TV, let alone in a 5" phone screen. Now in a desktop monitor I can see it, but I sit much much closer to my 27" monitor than I do from my 50" TV. I'm not sure I'd even want an 80-100" TV where I might notice the difference if I kept everything in the same place - I'd either have to move the couch back, or suffer eyestrain moving my eyes about from side to side to take in the whole picture.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: What a stupid idea

Well, tbh they've probably done both. And the 4k is really only for displaying on a separate monitor/TV using cable or Miracast or similar. Although I agree with you that 4K is pretty much pointless unless you have 50" or greater display at the usual viewing distance.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a stupid idea

>Rather than use the additional power to increase graphics speed, or save power,

Qualcomm have been reducing the power consumption of Snapdragon.

"One of the things Qualcomm promised would come with Snapdragon 800 (8974) (and by extension the process improvement with 28nm HPM) was lower power consumption, especially versus Snapdragon 600 (8064). There are improvements throughout the overall Snapdragon 800 platform which help as well, newer PMIC (PM8941) and that newer modem block onboard as well, but overall platform power goes down in the lower performance states for Snapdragon 800."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/lg-g2-and-msm8974-snapdragon-800-a-quick-look/3

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like