back to article CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! Dell's Android PC on a stick to ship with Santa

Dell's Project Ophelia PC-on-a-stick will finally come to fruition “before Christmas”, staff of the newly-privatised entity told The Reg at the Dell Enterprise Forum in Melbourne today. Now known as “Wyse Cloud Connect”, Project Ophelia debuted back in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. By May rumours …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same shit new wrapping?

Is this fantastic new thing the same which has been sold from China on Ebay without the Dell branding for the last few years?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Same shit new wrapping?

Certainly sounds like it. I have one, and it basically gives me an Android tablet on my TV. A USB slot takes a connector for a wireless keyboard and mouse. It works very well. I think Dell may have been too late to market with this device.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Link, please :)

2. LaeMing
      Trollface

They are obviously relying on most of their corporate-purchase customers not being aware of DealXtreme!

(To be fair, stuff shipped from the far North* generally doesn't come with the sort of support contracts that Dell Corporate offers).

* far East? That's New Zealand isn't it?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fantastic

Another Android way to get malware onto your stuff.

4. Luke McCarthy

I think the only difference is they bundle the Dell Wyse app with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Right... and because it says "Wyse", they'll charge $500 for it.

5. Kroneous

This writer did a lousy job of explaining what Michael Dell..... one of the most successful StartUp entrepreneurs in the World... is doing after buying Wyse. Michael Dell didn't buy back his company to go play tiddly winks or Angry Birds on Android sticks! lol..... the dude has a plan with Wyse. Where he can basically put a crimp on every computing device makers sales and profits for $100 a pop. But still in time make even more money off enterprise and any other customer's monthly secure tunnel network fees and Apps sold in all their stores.

Chrome OS will be it's first victim, followed by Apple's iOS... OS X and Microsoft's Windows 8 virtualized like Chrome OS and running off Dell's cloud. Amazon thinks running it's thin client OS will disrupt the Enterprise World Market running off it's own Cloud. But.... they don't have Wyse Thin Client in an App Technology like Michael Dell does either!!! ;-P

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/entries/22903061-Does-PocketCloud-works-with-Windows-8-

This writer seems to have equated these Dell Ophelia Thin Client devices (that can be carried about easier than any laptop or PC for enterprise users) are mere toys or another of 1000's of Apps available on all these stores and markets. But.... in reality it comes with ARM's trust zone security built into each ARM chip. That can basically block outside access by running all computation through a private secure hypertunneled network VPN!!! :DDD ......it's like Blackberry's BES and Samsung's Knot on Steroids... all rolled into a Secure Private Network of Enterprise or Government Thin Clients. That are capable of running Windows 8 and even Apple's OS X on any monitor or TV with an HDMI port! ...not to mention Wyse App on every ARM powered mobile device being sold today!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hyperspacer-announces-hypertunneltm-product-line-58964602.html

And as if that wasn't enough..... Dell is busy designing virtual keyboards and mice to go in an "all in one" package, that can fit in your pocket. Rumors are that one of his concepts will bring holographic keyboards/mice/touchpads with gesture based interactive use, like Microsoft's Kinect... only better. Which Apple just bought that company, that was behind Kinect's gesture recognition. But..... no doubt Apple was too late in buying them off the market and bought the wrong company, like they did Authentec for fingerprints. Synaptic bought Validity Cheap and they have far better technology that won't be hacked in a couple of days. But.. yeah good old Michael Dell found another company with even greater accuracy to make it possible to type on a projected or thin printed plastic passive sheet keyboard. That you can simply roll up and stuff in your pocket or the tiny combo camera projector along with your thumb drive sized Dell Android Stick!

This latest idea even beats Leap by a long shot!!! .....next step? Holographic Peripherals projected off the screen of your smartphone, or tablet PC. They are becoming a reality and you could take these devices in your pocket along with your Dell Android Stick! .....but no doubt we'll be seeing similar all in one stick devices from HP and others as well but they won't be running Wyse over a Secure Hypertunneled Network either!

http://www.deskeng.com/edge/2013/03/hp-develops-portable-3d-projection-system/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of these with an interface for Mac VDI would be a coup against Apple indeed.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Power

Just how much power can an HDMI port provide?

Multiple USB ports, WiFi, SD and the CPU/GPU...

1. swissrobin

Re: Power

I think the standard calls for 50mA max on the 5VDC pin, but what's the betting that Dell's monitors will supply much more than this (I am talking about their monitors that have USB ports on them). I suspect the Dell device will need 5W = 1A to operate.

4. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

Power over HDMI

Yes, I thought that was unusual.

Presumably this can't be plugged into just any old HD TV, then?

1. fattybacon

Re: Power over HDMI

Yeah, power over ethernet is pretty rare on domestic tellies, but it has been part of the HDMI spec for years. I imagine it can be fed by a powered hub.

5. Sandpit

Specs?

Article a bit light on details, like any! Is this tha same as an MK808/9? If so it's dreadfully over-priced.

6. SteveMC

Uses MHL

Looks like it uses Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) when using a single cable - http://www.mhltech.org/. There's a fairly large list of displays/TVs that already support the spec (not sure the version, but MHL 2 provides up to 900mA). There are adaptors available for HDMI, but presumably you'd need to use them with a USB power source too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been wondering about a possible use I have for one of these

What are the ways to control one of these, aside from a keyboard/mouse? Is it controllable via a VNC app that could be installed on a Android or iOS device? Or maybe it has some sort of internal web server?

The Google device's being only for mirroring makes it useless for my needs, but one of these, or their many no-name Chinese friends, which are effectively standalone computers may be just the ticket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like