back to article Google: The Man RUMMAGED all your data (and a load MORE that's SECRET)

Google says it is handing twice as much user data to governments as it was three years ago. The advertising giant said it has seen data requests rocket by more than 100 per cent since 2010. The admission came as Google published its eighth Transparency Report, which reveals which governments have asked it for information. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Look

A US corp lying, protected by FISA.

2. Old Handle

What Google should do (if they really cared about our privacy, etc) is "accidentally" publish that report using reversibly censored PDFs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Of course, it would be remiss of us not to mention at this point that Google makes a living by harvesting data and then using this information to show its users targeted adverts.

Of course, but at least they are up-front about it.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Off topic:

IG Farben claimed Auschwitz was a 1) Death Camp and 2) Labor Camp.

Which one works for you ?

On topic:

In the event Google paid you heavily for that FUD bomb; Enjoy, I wish you well.

4. Eguro
    Meh

Maybe the increase in USA requests is because more of them are made within the public legal framework. This might mean that the NSA is attempting to make more transparent its requests.

Or it could mean that the public laws are slowly transmuting so that it doesn't matter if things are done secretly or not.

Maybe it's because Google has unified its account system and there's now plenty more info to pilfer.

Or maybe - and most likely I think - the world governments are just more and more nosy about the common man. I mean, I guess I'm flattered, but I'm just not that type of guy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which is moot anyway

As NSA monitors the raw feeds between Google (and possibly other) datacenters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Eh, at least they are trying (somewhat)

As nosey as Google is, I still prefer them to the NSA.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Eh, at least they are trying (somewhat)

Logging into Youtube I am presented with "leftovers" proving Google is at least trying hard to "help" me. How to compare them to the NSA I do not know. Having once, by accident, clicked a Spanish western I am still offered more of that. Having bought shoes once, on the internet, it also seems to make me a target for more shoes faster than I am able to wear them out or loose them, or is Google, perhaps, confused with Shoe, the cartoon, I take daily. Perhaps the NSA has the answer, cooperating, on the hard stuff. If I was more strong hearted I might try you out with all the worst and dirties words I can come up with and "enjoy" the cocktail Google will serve me in their quest to do no evil and serve us to their best ability, for free. Still I have begun to have this feeling that when I shut up the internet and the computer. I want, when logging in, start as a new born child, not as a never forgotten old best friend. My friend, Google, you move on very thin ice, and there is no way for you to understand how easily and suddenly that ice will brake.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's an idea Google, collect half as much data.

8. Scoular

The problem we face is that we simply cannot trust any US company when they are required by secret laws and courts to do whatever the US government wants. For all we know Google and MS etc may be actively cooperating to pass all the information they have on everyone to the NSA or other US government agency.

Your data belongs on your servers not on ones probably accessible by the US government at will. Cloud? sure if it meets your needs but not unless you have real control over your data.

9. jello.beyonce

It's interesting that the companies who have complied the most with the NSA requests have seen continued success and growth (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Verizon, AT&T, Yahoo, etc.), yet those that fought back have been decimated. Free enterprise my ass. The US government intelligence community is nothing more than a legalized mob organization. Give them a "piece of the action" (data, in this case) and you are allowed to continue your business operations with protected status. Refuse and be driven out of business.

Much the same with politicians (including the President). Failure to bow the the intelligence fascists results in a failed political career. Those politicians willing to bend over the furthest and spread the widest are rewarded with long and "successful" political careers.

Ditto with former intelligence agents who have exposed these corrupt agencies. Those willing to tell the true story, have simply been eliminated.

Obama, much like Clinton before him, much like Bush before him, much like Reagan before him - all have been nothing more than tools of the intelligence community. Partisan politics are nothing more than a simplistic distraction for the ignorant masses. Ignorance is bliss.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. drone2903

All your data are belong to us. s. NSA

Just face teh facts.

11. dephormation.org.uk
    Big Brother

Would also be interested to know...

if Google have attempted to estimate how many Tbytes of data were pilfered by NSA/GCHQ without any legal authorisation at all.

"Fuck these guys" is apparently the proposed solution... Personally, I would opt for encryption.

These statistics are meaningless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like