back to article AMD launches Dell's four-core Opteron boxes

Dell's Opteron experience hasn't been all that fantastic. After resisting the Opteron push for so long, Dell embraced AMD's flashy chip just as Intel started to catch up on performance and performance per watt metrics with Xeon. Then, Dell watched as AMD shot itself in the chest with the four-core Barcelona roll out. Dell was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gavin

Really?

Well maybe they should update their UK website so you can select a Quad Core Opteron as an option

2. Chris
    Joke

Re: Really?

It's only been launched, silly. You don't actually believe you can buy one, do you?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Mine's two days late now

I'm stillwaiting for my free quad core Barcelona box which should have arrived on Monday as compensation for enduring their Virtualisation workshop...

4. Paul

opteron outperforms core and xeon sometimes

*** networking ***

in network performance tests, opterons have been shown to outperform core and xeon systems by a large margin.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.pfsense.user/2738/match=opteron+xeon

*** power ***

although at peak, opterons use more power than intel's, at idle they are more efficient, and a single-core opteron *might* be better for your application.

** performance ***

it's also been found that a core2quad can sometimes be slower than a core2duo because of the contention on the front-side bus, so again, if your application is CPU bound with a single thread, you need to consider that an intel might not be ideal!

5. Johnny FireBlade

Ah, AMD

I remember the days when the AMD K6 whooped Intel and cost a mere fraction of the price. What happened to those heady days of speed and cost saving? :(

"Hmm, new teeth. Where were we? Oh that's right. Barcelona!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like