back to article EMC tries to snuff out SolidFire before tomorrow's XtremIO-gasm

EMC has readied some XtremIO competitive knock-offs to help the Hopkinton storage giant's reps and channel partners dislodge rival SolidFire from their prospects’ minds. The main knock-off points are: XtremIO utilises an innovative flash specific data protection algorithm providing double failure protection with only 8 per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

ask EMC

why it took em so long to join the party

why they aren't on a common storage platform (software at least) across their major product lines

When they will post SPC-1 results for XtremIO

Don't worry, I won't be holding my breath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ask EMC

Wait a minute. They're using SSDs? So it may have decent throughput, but the latency's going to be the same as a generic storage array. Why are they even bothering?

Of course, idiots will still buy these things.

2. asdf

sales and marketing

Hey look another specialized market speak article I didn't bother reading past the first paragraph that will bring out the usual half dozen sales drones that work for the companies above. I guess sales and marketing are necessary evils but so glad I don't roll with that crowd. Keep thinking guys that some important CIO is reading not only this article but the comments lol.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bored of FUD

Exciting times in the world of storage.

But being slightly spoilt by the petulant children who work in marketing for all these vendors.

4. Terry P

Really?

" It's not fully point-by-point, because there is frankly so much crap in there we ran out of space"

Hey dude! Speak to EMC, they will hook you up with some storage.

Seriously though....ran out of space?? What are you blogging on an 1830's telegram?

5. Twit

Free advertising

Not to mention market validation.

Great job EMC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free advertising

Yep. I'd never heard of SolidFire before now.

6. StorageFan

Chris,

You've published on two "battlecards" that EMC provides to their employees to educate them on how to compete with other vendors.

I'm sure that you would claim you're "only stating the facts", but you're actually completely misrepresenting the reason these exist. They aren't meant to be published, and I highly doubt "the so-called Battle Card was publicly available on a dark corner of EMC's website".

I'd be more critical of EMC if they were not educating their employees on differences between their technology and others.

7. Just a geek

As one of the few people here who has installed a solidfire cluster my comment is that it's "not bad". It's an iSCSI only cluster than is all SSD and provides a max of 15,000 IOPS per volume. It has a few limitations at the moment but it's still quite new.

This topic is closed for new posts.