back to article Singaporeans THANK government for BANNING IaaS site

Singapore has reportedly decided to block infidelity-as-a-service ashleymadison.com, the site with the cheeky motto “Life is Short. Have an affair.” Singaporean netizens got angry about the site's impending arrival in the island state back in October and petitioned their government to instruct the Media Development Authority ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    Paris Hilton

I'm confused

So Singaporeans object to having affairs ... but bonking the Indonesian maid doesn't count?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused

What are the chances that the maid is a registered user of the site? Besides, doesn't she come in every day after the wife goes to work?

1. oolor
        Holmes

Re: I'm confused

>What are the chances that the maid is a registered user of the site?

Pretty low given this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ashley-madison-adultery-website-sued-by-former-employee-1.2421819

Why am I not surprised that 'some' of the female accounts are fake?

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"Not your usual freedom-loving, personal responsibility arguments, are they?"

No but Singapore is not a particularly freedom-loving country. *shrug*

3. tkioz

Seems like democracy to me, people want something (in this case a website banned), people get their way.

1. Graham Marsden

@tkioz

Except you can get what is, IIRC, known as the Tyrrany of the Minority. This is where you get a small but vocal group (think the Mary Whitehouse Brigade) who want something banned, the politicians figure it's a good bandwagon to jump on and the majority who are either indifferent or in favour but don't dare to speak out because of embarrassment or social pressure, keep quiet.

So I have to wonder how many people in Singapore *actually* wanted this site banned.

1. Shaha Alam

Re: @tkioz

tyranny of the minority? given the poor turnouts in every election, that's pretty much what we have in the UK :(

2. Jim Bobble

About as close to democracy as you'll get there.

4. RAMChYLD

Hypocrasy

So they don't want an affair. But it's okay for their girls to dump a guy just because he doesn't have the "4C"s (Car, Card, Condo and Club).

Something tells me that this petition was created by ladies who don't want to lose their rich husbands. I feel sorry for all the men in that country. Bad enough that he has to put up with the 4C nonsense, now if he's dump, he cannot find a new mate using the site...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hypocrasy

If you think that the 4C' are the bee all and end all to a relationship then boy, you really need to get out of your basement.

Must dash old chap. Got to go and help the missus (been together for 24 years) put the sheep on the truck so that we can take them to market. I'd bet that there isn't a condo within 50 miles of my farm. Lovely views of the Wye valley yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky for most of it.

1. Thecowking

Re: Hypocrasy

Sheep in Singapore?

Or did you miss that reference? I certainly don't remember sheep outside a curry in Singapore. Not common even there. Well unless you go to little India.

There was a food court near Clark Quay that did decent curry, but that was back in the 90s, don't even know if it's still there.

If you follow Singaporean social media though, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone calling the gov't nice things there. I suspect that it's probably been put together as a PR campaign by a horribly misinformed government PR machine.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

"Thank you to our leaders.... "

Shouldn't that be: "Thank you to our fearless leaders..."

It is Singapore after all.

6. John Savard

Affairs

If a woman has an affair, her husband could be stuck for the rest of his life supporting some other man's child. For various practical reasons, the law doesn't explicitly tie a man's responsibility for child support to paternity, with his wife facing the usual criminal penalties for fraud if she obtains support from him for a child conceived adulterously.

Thus, I have no sympathy for a web site that counsels women to commit adultery; it should be treated like a web site that helps people commit crimes.

1. Just_this_guy

Re: Affairs

"it should be treated like a web site that helps people commit crimes."

Is adultery a crime then? A quick google suggests that's not the case even in Singapore.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "for the rest of his life"

Not unless he is already rather old, terminally ill, or accidental on the roads. Children do grow up and leave home, you know.

1. Denarius
        Facepalm

Re: "for the rest of his life"

@thad: have you not seen failure to launch ? Also, misrepresentation for less than 25 years is OK then ? As for tyranny of minority, mentioned elsewhere, this can only happens if allowed by majority, ie, it is democracy in action. Singapore also has a very different base for values than western countries. So allow for some multiculturalism, OK ?

7. Sheep!

In other news...

Drugs are banned and everyone in the world immediately stops using drugs because obviously it is only the fact that they are available to buy that makes people use them. Essentially Singaporians are saying "We're too weak to be faithful without government intervention to make us behave". Sad state of affairs (skuse the pun).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news...

I am extremely doubtful that your average member of the electorate was involved in this, or most of the legislation like it.

Singapore and Malaysia have incredible control of the traditional media in their countries and they're trying (unsuccessfully for the most part) to extend that into the realm of social media. Ten gets you one it's a poorly disguised government backed thing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, for one, welcome our new leaders who post under fake names about how they welcome their actions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like