back to article Doctor Who's 50th year special: North American theater tix on sale Friday

Audiences in the US and Canada will be able to watch the forthcoming Doctor Who 50th anniversary special in theaters on two separate dates in November, the BBC has said. As previously announced, the first such screening will take place on Saturday, November 23, simultaneous with the episode's broadcast on television networks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. an it guy

wow. Quite an amazing bit of planning and effort, considering that this is a simultaneous worldwide release in many places. Few films manage this level of coordination, so hats off to the BBC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"so hats off to the BBC"

Actually no.

The BBC's ambitions to make their output more palatable to the Yanks have repeatedly compromised the entertainment value of a number of programmes (Torchwood and Dr Who immediately come to mind as relevant examples, but there's others). Since I have no choice but to pay for the fairly paltry BBC output that I find entertaining, I'd rather they focused on UK audiences tastes, knowledge and interests. I don't care about the fantastical ambitions for BBC Worldwide - if they can sell what they make then that's fine, but not if they start changing the programme content to suit some global anglophone average.

Maybe the BBC just want to make a name for themselves in America, that's also fine by me, but in that case give me back my licence fee, surrender the UK public service broadcast obligation, and f*** off to the US of A.

1. MJI Silver badge

They haven't

DW is not aimed at the Yanks but they are huge fans, they filmed there a while ago, that is as near as they get.

TW though, last rubbish series was co funded with a Yank TV company.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: They haven't

"DW is not aimed at the Yanks but they are huge fans, they filmed there a while ago, that is as near as they get."

Thin end of the wedge mate. No real plot reason for the US location, and combining that with the much more lightweight content since Tennant (yeah, I know this is all still DW) its quite clear that the programme is being fattened up for Yankmas.

2. Oninoshiko

Re: They haven't

Really? I would think the beating everyone over the head with "He's not heterosexual" thing in torchwood wouldn't appeal to the conservative colonial sensibilities.

2. Tom 13

Re: more palatable to the Yanks

Like the Beeb you've confused us Yanks for the idiots in Hollywood. I WANT Dr. Who to feel like a British production not a 'Merkin one. It is part of its charm.

1. Tom 13

Re: more palatable to the Yanks

Furthermore, I think you lost more of that British feel from updating it to modern England than anything we Yanks may have caused them to change since then.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

You know what?

This would be a perfect time for an actual alien invasion. The Martians may have missed out on Orson Welles's broadcast all those years ago, but they have advance warning of this event :)

1. Mark Simon

Re: You know what?

Maybe, but wouldn’t Christmas be a more suitable time?

2. Dave Harris
      Alien

UULLLLLLAAAAAAA!!!!

UULLLLLLAAAAAAA!!!!

(apologies if too clichéd)

3. Wize

Let me get this straight...

It is being shown on TV round the world (including BBC One) but they want us to pay to go to the cinema to see it?

I have one of those subscription cards that lets me see any film for free (well, no extra cost than the fee I'm paying anyway) but still think its not a great idea.

4. The Mole

Pop bands also want you to buy their singles or go to concerts when you can hear them for free on the radio. Or why go to a football match when you can watch it for free on TV.

Most people don't have 3d TV, or immersive surround sound systems, nor will there be the same atmosphere as watching it in a big group of other people. For a one off event the money might be worth it - even if the actualy episode may end up slightly disappointing the experience may counterbalance that.

1. Wize

But it was always about hiding behind the sofa from the Daleks.

Gawd, I forgot it was in 3D. You can tell when they mess about with a film just to show off the 3D side. No doubt there will be Dalek plungers pointed at the camera for no specific reason.

1. Tom 13

Concur about the 3D bit

but for a one off I might be willing to part with some cash to see it in a theater. Even at twice the standard ticket price. But ONLY for a one off. If they expect I'll take it up once or more a year, they'll learn otherwise.

5. mac42
    WTF?

I was looking forward to seeing it at the movies until I checked prices. $15 to watch a Doctor Who special? REALLY? I know movie prices vary according to city, but Dallas isn't the highest priced market. Gravity is playing in 3D for $9.25 locally. I guess it will be the HDTV version for me.

6. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Alien

Cineplex prices - Even with Costco vouchers with free popcorn & the like for a family of three (well three that's actually interested - The eldest two fell by the wayside like Susan in Narnia).

I'll stick with firing up the VPN thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like