back to article Database Trojan infests pro-Tibet websites

Security researchers have unearthed more details about a Trojan that targets backend databases as well as desktop clients. The Fribet Trojan has been planted on pro-Tibet websites, possibly using a Vector Markup Language flaw (MS07-004) patched by Microsoft early last year. When visitors to the pro-Tibet websites are infected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Bradshaw
    Black Helicopters

More interesting

is whether the trojan is infecting ONLY pro-Tibet websites, and if so who put it there and why. Seems like an incomplete story to me...

2. Mark
    Stop

RE: More Interesting

I would hazard a guess that the Chinese put it there.

3. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Cn sneakers. watches. handbag. you buy.

What will be interesting after the thing has been analysed to death, is how much it resembles other code that has threatened the WWW in times past. Coupled to the speed of issue and the target, it will open a lot of inscrutable curtains.

If it were not for the likes of Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, that damned country would have been blackballed years ago.

4. Ted Treen
    Pirate

@I. Aproveoetc.

"If it were not for the likes of Yahoo, Microsoft and Google, that damned country would have been blackballed years ago."

To Yahoo, Microsoft & Google you had better add pretty damn well every manufacturer who uses Foxconn, inter alia, as component suppliers & OEM manufacturers as virtually ALL high-tech equipment is made in the good old PRC these days,

This means that as well as our systems being cheaper, all our data are belong to them...

5. Wayland Sothcott
    Black Helicopters

If Tibet is placed on the axis of evil...

then Pro Tibet websites are illegal anyway. Supporting demontrations becomes glorification of terror and actions likely to insite racial and religious hatrid. People are already declaring the old Tibetan government bad and the chinese as liberators. We have already seen how a Tibetan flag can insite a pretty hateful response from Chinese police in San Francisco. Therefore the person holding the flag is committing a crime.

Where is the police state Icon? We need a big boot crushing a flower.

6. Dirk Vandenheuvel

I see

That explains why my blog has had shitloads of hits from China (Baidu) looking for "free tibet" stuff.

7. Ishkandar

Free Tibet !!

With every packet of cornflakes !! Or any other kind of flakes, too !!

What gets me is when Buddhist monks go on a peaceful protest in Burma (Myammar), they get bashed up and arrested and the Western governments just say, "Tut, tut !" and carry on syphoning out their oil.

Tibetan monks go on a rampage and an orgy of destruction and murder and the "War on Terror" brigade cheer them on !!

Something does not compute, Captain !!

8. Curtis W. Rendon
    Black Helicopters

@free tibet

you're propaganda is showing. The monks did not go on a rampage. The PRC paramilitaries did, and the Tibetan people retaliated.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Cornflakes, rampages...

Looks like they've already hacked the Reg comments database.

Damn good thing they haven't realised how easy it is to just log in and type their comments!

10. Pete Dixon

Been reading comments from typical Chinese

All this Tibetan stuff is really raising the specter of ardent Chinese nationalism. Reminds me a lot of the feelings that were running high in Germany because of Goebbels' propaganda. If that's true this likely won't end well.

11. Reto Egeter

@Curtis W. Rendon

I think your propaganda is showing. A lot of innocent minorities have died in Tibet because the Police did not want to use force for a full 2-3 Days (because of world opionon). Thank you for standing by the side of murderes with a smug face asshole.

12. Gordon Fecyk
    Stop

Standardized LART

Let's see... Windows exploit, patched more than a year ago...

...citing a computer security firm who knew about the problem more than a year ago...

...accusations of Chinese hackers, even though the quoted computer security firm admits to sending virus tech to China...

Yep, sounds like a standardized IT security article to me.

Troll meter : 8/10 (Them little increasingly expensive dolls), BS meter: 6/10 (We're here to protect you), Flame meter: 0 (paper bag full of hot air).

13. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Unhappy

"a smug face asshole"

Oooer, that can't be a pretty sight!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Current Affairs

I guess the criminals read the papers, watch the news and predit where the world will be browsing next.

Often there is the "Support PeopleX after DisasterY "sites that gets thrown up quickly whenever there is an earthquake/landslide/starving crisis that gives out news or asks for aid. Probably set up with little finances and older software and not fully patched.

Target where your prospective audience will be going and get there early.

I suspect all new aid sites are targetted in this way...

Of course Paris knows what it's like to be targetted. What's the betting that www.picsoffparisphone08.com has its own cute pink trojan

15. Marco

@Reto Egeter

"I think your propaganda is showing. A lot of innocent minorities have died in Tibet because the Police did not want to use force for a full 2-3 Days (because of world opionon). Thank you for standing by the side of murderes with a smug face asshole."

A lot of innocent people have died in Tibet ever since China decided they want to occupy that country. The Chinese police would not need to use any force at all if they simply weren't there.

This topic is closed for new posts.