back to article Euro Parliament votes to end data sharing with US – the NSA swiped the bytes anyway

The European Parliament has voted to halt the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program (TFTP), an agreement to share data on financial transactions in the Continent with the US – after documents leaked by Edward Snowden showed the NSA was hacking the system anyway. "Parliament stresses that any data-sharing agreement with the US …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSA unofficial motto.

In God we trust. Everyone else gets intercepted.

1. Captain DaFt

"In God we trust. Everyone else gets intercepted."

Oh yeah?

There's probably NSA agents in the Vatican right now, trying to figure out out how to get taps into Heaven and Hell.

2. Uffish

Re: "Everyone ... gets intercepted"

Utterly, utterly useless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Perhaps the NSA simply just doesn't trust its friends in Europe. '

The NSA has friends? I wonder if J Edgar Hoover had many in his day...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Perhaps the NSA simply just doesn't trust its friends in Europe. '

Only the ones who gave him his dresses.

2. g e
      Holmes

Not as little as its 'friends in Europe' trusts them.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

It doesn't have any friends in Europe, just foreign targets.

4. Don Jefe

A Key Problem

'Dianne Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee' Any committee that is based on intelligence is doomed to fail if its leadership does not display measurable intelligence.

That old bat is either incredibly stupid or crazy, or both. The things that come out of her mouth are so consistently wrong it is impressive. I don't mean 'wrong' as in I disagree with her policies, I mean 'wrong' as in water isn't wet or the sky isn't blue wrong: Factually incorrect to the point it invalidates everything else she says. Basing committee appointments on seniority is a terribly dumb way to manage a government, you end up with crap like this.

1. Chairo
      Thumb Up

Re: A Key Problem

... the sky isn't blue wrong

I don't know where you live, but if I look out of the window, the sky looks rather greyish white.

Otherwise I agree.

1. Don Jefe
        Happy

That's actually accumulated moisture you're seeing, the sky behind it is still blue :)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Joke

The sky isn't actually blue either I'm afraid.

It's typical composition scatters blue light more than others. A change in the composition of the atmosphere will change the colour.

"Sunlight reaches Earth's atmosphere and is scattered in all directions by all the gases and particles in the air. Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. This is why we see a blue sky most of the time."

In other news, light bulbs don't work by magic and the internet runs on swiss cheese. Oh and Father Christmas is just the local homeless guy dressed up, that's why he smells of piss and Special Brew.

[:news brought to you by the killjoy foundation for kids]

1. Kane
            WTF?

Re: A Key Problem @ Sir Runcible Spoon

Wait, water is still wet though, right?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
              Happy

"Wait, water is still wet though, right?"

Well, I had to double check to be honest. It turns out that it is our senses that provide 'wetness' feedback - so it's not really objective to say that water is wet, but I felt I was sticking my head above the parapet far enough as it was :)

1. Don Jefe
                Happy

You are correct on both counts Sir killjoy Spoon. The 'wetness' of water can also be modified with the addition of additives, so you can have 'dry' water as well as 'wetter' water too :)

However, I doubt the esteemed Senator would dare venture into the actual reasons for any given thing. Discovering valid information would certainly break the spell that keeps her body animated and she would instantly wither and blow away if she were exposed to such things.

2. Znort666
            Coffee/keyboard

killjoy foundation for kids...I need a new keyboard after that.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Basing committee appointments on seniority is a terribly dumb way to manage a government, you end up with crap like this."

IIRC the US also favors committee membership with vested interests on the ground they will know something about the subject.

What could possibly go wrong with such staffing policies?

1. Don Jefe

Vested interests play a role, as do party contributions. The total amount of funds you raise on behalf of your party has a direct impact on the committees you get on. Raise more money, get seats on more commissions, and you are instantly rewarded with an increase in contributions.

The actual pay raise itself from committee seats isn't too big, but the chair of any given committee sees a near quadrupling in their annual fundraising. While they no longer get to pocket part of those proceeds, it sure does make their 'campaigning' a lot nicer. You don't have to mix with the proles, as you travel by private plane and your car and its driver get upgraded too. It's all nasty shit really.

The internal workings of Congress are by far the most complex factor in US politics. It's murky, dirty and 'we the people' aren't privy to the actual goings-on. The actual operational details are shrouded by laws that are intended to 'allow the body to operate without undue influence from outside' but simply result in backroom scheming and horse trading on the backs of the people.

1. dan1980

@Don Jefe

One might argue that the real pay rise comes when they leave office and join industry bodies and lobby groups as 'advisors' and, latter, direct lobbyists.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US has simply gone rogue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For them to have ever been anything other than rogue, they would have had to first regard someone else as their equal. I don't recall a time of that ever happening - unless you count the ex-USSR in, but they definitely were never partners...

6. Bronek Kozicki

side note

I wonder who else noticed the superposition in "The European Parliament has voted ... The resolution is non-binding, however, since only the European Commission can bind member nations to the decision" Well, of course European Commission is unelectable. I guess they probably do not share concerns expressed by the Parliament .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: side note

COM, EP & Council form a trilogue. Council you've already voted for as they are your Dear Leaders (the 28MS). EP you do get to vote for, and next summer the EP will (for the first time) be doing a lot of scrutiny of the likely successors to Barroso et al at 'neutral' COM. It's admittedly a bit novel, and well 'European', but I think the triple executive is finally starting to work! We certainly don't necessarily share views or always agree with EP or Council. Eventually we reach a best applicable compromise, in the interests of the EU Citizen.

Back to the NSA, was Frau Merkel's metadata & content *worth* potentially losing ttfp, swift, eu-usa trade & cloud business due to blowback?

I for one welcomed the idea of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) being added to every eu/uk foodstuff.....

1. JohnMurray

They eventually reach the compromise that suits the EU burocracy, not necessarily the citizen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Back to the NSA, was Frau Merkel's metadata & content *worth* potentially losing ttfp, swift, eu-usa trade & cloud business due to blowback?"

Clearly it was, because if you're doing something like that you have to weigh the consequences of the short term benefits against the longer term raised probablility of being discovered. But you use the term "worth", and I think you're on the right track there, that the benefits were tracked as "financial value in dollars" and the risks as "potential embarassment and need for insincere denial". Even the comment that they aren't now and won't monitor Merkel's phone doesn't mean "we won't get a poodle to do it for us in future".

But the interesting aspect of this is that it shows so clearly that the NSA's global spying isn't about terrorism - they've not had many successes that we the public can see, in the same way that GCHQ in the UK have achieved little, but Germany isn't a global interventionist, nor terrorist havem, not failed state, nor a political or military threat. So the only reason for intercepting her phone (and undoubtedly those of German ministers and civil servants, and other European countries) is for economic intelligence.

Put more simply, the Yanks (and the Brits as their spy-dog poodle) have been collecting intellgence to advance American business interests, although I'm fairly sure that the UK government isn't organised or smart enough to use any intelligence in GCHQ's hands to help British business). The pained expression on Cameron's shiny, over-fed face, and his silence over the Merkelgate affair tell the whole story about who actually did the dirty deed.

1. John Hughes

" Germany isn't a [...] nor terrorist haven"

Hamburg cell.

3. SundogUK Silver badge

"...in the interests of the EU Citizen."

You are joking aren't you?

4. Roo

"Back to the NSA, was Frau Merkel's metadata & content *worth* potentially losing ttfp, swift, eu-usa trade & cloud business due to blowback?"

Given that the EU don't seem to know exactly how the NSA got hold of that info in the first place it seems very probable that the flow of data to the NSA is still happening, so I doubt they give a flying toss at a rolling donut.

"I for one welcomed the idea of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) being added to every eu/uk foodstuff....."

I don't welcome people welcoming corn syrup in everything. Do you really want bread that tastes like a Rich Tea biscuits, I'd prefer to have the choice not to have the humble slice of bread wreck my bacon sandwiches.

2. John 98

Unelected but why?

We Brits should remember the European Commission is unelected at the insistence - primarily - of the UK government. The same people who have succeeded in getting Europe run from a smoke filled room. Any Tory politico mouthing about the democratic deficit in Brussels is ranting about something he worked very hard for ...

7. Chris G

Cheer leader

Senator Dianne Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee and NSA cheerleader,

Let's hope she is never allowed to cheerlead in a Ra-Ra skirt, jump up and down and do the splits.

Urgghh! the thought has put me off my tea!

As for the damned Uropeens withdrawing their support for the TFTP, well that's why they spy on them.

They can't be trusted and now they'll have to be spied on more. Another couple of billion in the budget please!

Thank you very much.

8. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

Just about fucking time!

The evidence that the USA is using terrorism as an excuse for waging a total information and economic war against the rest of the world, allies included, is quite overwhelming. Kudos for the European Parliament for taking measures against this, at last.

Of course, there is a very definite risk that the USA will 'allow' - or even promote- a terrorist attack on European soil, to soften the public opinion and regain control. If that happens, I hope European citizens understand that one of the costs of being free is accepting risks.

Please, Americans, clean your own house before things get really nasty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just about fucking time!

Of course, there is a very definite risk that the USA will 'allow' - or even promote- a terrorist attack on European soil, you just forgot to end that sentence with the word "again"

As CIA encouraged/trained/paid-for all the stay-behind armies from the fifties to the eighties - with many deaths. The recently re-elected Luxembourg state security even managed to detonate 22 bombs, thankfully without loss of life in that case, and they supposedly still refuse to disband their Gladio army as the correct codeword hasn't been given?

9. Bladeforce

THE YANKS..

are paranoid about everybody including themsleves

10. i like crisps
    Happy

HILARIOUS....

....They're hacking each other into a Stalemate....

11. Beau
    Facepalm

Don't the American people realize:-

"These stupid assholes are making 9-11 more and more damaging to America every day, and giving Bin Laden the last laugh!"

So bloody stupid if you ask me, but then nobody will.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't the American people realize:-

Bin Laden was a CIA operative that put in place the environment for such mass spying. Nobody asked me to say that either ;-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully these easy extradition agreements will get torn up.

13. Ommerson

Doesn't sounds as if this development will have much effect on the NSA's ability to collect data: It will just no longer be getting it with permission.

1. JohnMurray

You can never really trust governments that sell their people down the road, can you?

Maybe that's why the NSA don't trust the EU?

None who live in it do either!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Psychology 101

"Maybe that's why the NSA don't trust the EU?"

They don't trust the EU (or anyone else) because they know themselves to be untrustworthy.

All you need to do to understand someone's base motivations and fears is to listen to what they say of others.

14. Greg J Preece

One wonders, therefore, why the NSA bothered hacking it in the first place.

Because they could? It's pretty apparent at this point that the NSA's only oversight is a man who always says yes.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"It's pretty apparent at this point that the NSA's only oversight is the man from DelMonte"

Fixed that for you ;)

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

So...

They shared private data with Uncle Sam

They didn't expect to be hacked

They were hacked

Now its not OK to share private data with Uncle Sam

???

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: So...

Let's say, for example, that you have a trusting relationship with your partner.

You both agree to tell each other the truth, and not to hide anything pertinent from the other.

When one day you find out that even though you've been honest and scrupulous in this regard your partner has been tapping your phones lines, hacking your computer, reading your texts, listening to your voice-mail and keeping tabs on everyone you come in to contact with.

I've just realised that I have implied that the EU is honest and scrupulous, but you get the idea I'm sure.

My main gripe with the US is that the fucking spell checkers don't recognizse English words..

Colour

Recognise

Friend

Honour

Neighbour

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

First, you need a spelling checker.

Then load a "British English" dictionary.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

point 1 - noted

point 2 - if you can tell me how to do that in El Reg's comment section I'd be much obliged.

point 3 - not sure if you missed the point

2. genghis_uk

It's English dammit - from England! Calling it "British English" is just arrogant.

If the Yanks want to mess up the language at least they could have the decency to call it 'American'

/rant - need another beer!

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

European Parliament seems to have started to grow some balls.

Whatever next?

Interesting times perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: European Parliament seems to have started to grow some balls.

"Interesting times perhaps?"

Not at all. All they've said is "We're really, really cross about this". Had EU leaders grown some, they would have cancelled the forthcoming trade talks as a symbol of their anger, as a marker of unwillingess to be reated like sh**, and because any economic talks will be on an uneven playing field given the incessant political data scraping of the NSA.

The other thing they should have done would have been to have announced that Europe was open to, and would welcome Edward Snowden, with guarantees of immunity against prosecution, exrtadition, or rendition. Now THAT would be the way to show Washington that their behaviour won't be tolerated.

But that's all a bit radical for Europeans.

17. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Is anyone botherd by NSA being able to hack SWIFT?

Because that implies that they can change funds transfer instructions at will.

Of course with the "strong" oversight provided by FISA that could never happen, at least without senior approval.

Right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is anyone botherd by NSA being able to hack SWIFT?

if you look back, way way back into the history of Hillary Rodham Clinton, there's some episode where all of the financial investments made on her behalf had an amazing return rate, consistently.

under the laws of quantum mechanics the implausible can spontaneously occour, but massive spying leading to derived insider intelligence/trading could also be an wacky explanation - not that I'm implying that's the situation in her case, of course not, allegedly.

Peter Wright (Spycatcher) mentioned that UK Gov just used to lean on the GPO (was it?) to give a 'random' ERNIE Premium Bond payout when the MI5/6 needed some slush-fund... transparently GCHQ don't have a robust financial department otherwise they wouldn't need the US NSA bribery of ±£30,000,000/pa for spying on the US citizens that the NSA can't legally do.... No FISA necessary for field station Harrogate

Many of the 'Office of Tailored Access' products - that the NSA use to find, then exploit vulnerabilities in their targets - from all Americans to Chancellor Merkel - these exploited PC's/device can easily be GIVEN data - rather than just Vacuuming it up. There must exist an false-blackmail/bugger/kiddiepr0n log of 'who has been taken-out' somewhere - and presumably this individual attack form of Cyberwarfare hasn't been FISA discussed either!

So apart from the ability to subvert legitimate private correspondence, presumed illegal unwarranted surveillance & post-factum legal-process invention/perjury to hide the NSA surveillance, alleged reprisals against individuals who dared say 'NO' (Nacchio/Qwest), whatever they did to Gareth Williams (& whoever did it), possibly tampering with SWIFT, VISA etc financial transactions, possible/probable corruption of senators congressmen presidents lawmakers judges journos, ignoring the explicit words and context of the constitution, backdooring internet commerce & safety & security products' crypto, biasing telecoms & networks Standards, scarfing our data, lying cheating stealing, further lying about lying, denying...., stockpiling all our data in FVEY establishments where Russkie spies like Delisle were able to raid their/our Honey-Jar, having zero insider effective security (Snowden 2013 & Mafia/PRC/Al-Q earlier..?)... what has the NSA done for us?

er, yeah, Right!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other words

pointless, futile gesture. The EU citizens this. The rest of the world knows this. The Yanks... they blink and try to figure out the deeper meaning to this. But hey, the EU has made a strong declaration - it will NOT put up (snigger) with the US violations, nosir!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Go ahead and snigger

What you are not catching is the fact that more and more political statements, of increasing importance, are being made against the whole NSA debacle, and now against the USA directly. That in itself is important because it means that there is a growing movement that will end in a serious backlash.

Ever since Snowden outed himself, official malcontent has been rising. All of those stating that it is hypocritical to rail against known spying are missing the point : there is now an opportunity to crack down on this unacceptable situation, and politicians are nothing if not opportunistic. And hypocritical, of course, that goes without saying.

The important thing is that yes, everyone has always been spying on everyone (Nixon : prior art - and he paid for it, not like current presidents), but this horse bolted way farther than anyone had ever thought possible. Now, politicians all over the world are beginning to grasp just how vulnerable they are, and they don't like what they see. So Snowden has given them the chance to clamp down on the extent of this spying, and make themselves look good in the process. For any politician, this is much too much a win-win position to miss.

The fact that it potentially benefits them all personally since their little sexual affairs and financial mismanagement will be that much harder to uncover when the NSA gets its claws clipped is just cherry on the cake.

19. itzman

More sanctimonious bullshit

From the technologically challenged EU.

Did you REALLY think the NSA were NOT doing this?

How ELSE did you think they get Tony Blair to fall in line over Iraq?

They are just upset they didn't do it themselves.

20. jimbot
    Coat

The name "Terrorist Finance Tracking Program" (TFTP)

Ironic that it shares the same initials as the Trivial File Transfer Protocol (typically used by IT departments for network booting/OS installation).

Has a geek with a sense of humour has infiltrated the US government?

21. Gamrith

It'll hurt Britain more than it will hurt the continent...

It ist quite obvious that the US and the UK Governments and secret services do not understand deep down just how badly they managed to screw up.

When Merkel, the various ministers of her government an spokespeople of the German secret services state that one does not spy on friends, it means just that. I am quite convinced that the German secret services do not spy on their partners and the the German politicians would consider that to be dishonorable, because you don't do that to friends. Naive? Quite possibly. But that's how the German government is wired. Until now...

Any such program on the side of the German security Services, if it came to light, would have resulted in a domestic political meltdown. Until now...

What will infuriate the Germans, and quite possibly the rest of Europe, even more is the blatant sanctimoniousness meretriciousness of the official comments in both the US and the UK, running, as they do, along the lines of "Well, everybody does it, so there!". The Germans don't see it that way.

The backlash will hurt UK industry. Think about public contracts in Germany and the rest of the EU and bidders like Computacenter and British Telecom, who as British companies, and thus being subject to the wims and vagaries of GCHQ and whatnot, are now a priori untrustworthy. This will hurt the UK as a service provider.

And both the US and UK services will find doors slamming in their faces if they don't come clean real soon now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It'll hurt Britain more than it will hurt the continent...

You're indulging in wishful thinking if you believe the Germans are not doing something like this. It's already been shown in the Snowden leaks that the NSA is sharing technology, training and tools with the German SigInt agency. It's probably just that like the rest of security-related spending, Germany spends x, and the U.S. spends 10x.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The unsocial terrorist network ..

'Senator Dianne Feinstein .. argued that the spy agency's mass data trawls of phone records and other data was necessary because the spooks need to act quickly to catch terrorists and need "the haystack of records in order to find the terrorist needle."`

Yes, all my terrorist acquaintances use Facebook, Second Life and Twitter to plan outrages ..

1. Tridac

Re: The unsocial terrorist network ..

Right. They may catch a few amateurs that way, but the ones they really need to stop, the most dangerous, are most likely just as intelligent as they are and would never use any kind of traceable public comms system. If you are doing something dodgy, you would have to assume that everything is suspect. Wasn't it Osama BL that used personal trusted couriers for communication ?.

All this snooping on the soft target of computeres and electronc communications suggests more than a whif of self agrandisement, justification for big budgets, illusions of grandeur and posturing and for what end ?. Reminds me of the old Spy vs Spy strip in Mad magazine. Seemed funny at the time. (Heck, did I ever read that :-). Yeah, i'm sure there are real threats, but submitting to all this just to stop the occasional bomb in a crowded shopping centre seems like a bad deal to me. There will always be those that get through the net and we have to accept that.

In the end, it's about the sort of society we want to live in: One in which the assumption is that most people are honest and have decent intentions, or the sort where everyone is always a suspect. The latter encourages paranoia, extremism and has a corrosive effect on all human interactions. Even Thatcher didn't turn this country into a police state after the outrage of the Brighton bombing, so why should we have to submit to it now ?...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The unsocial terrorist network ..

> submitting to all this just to stop the occasional bomb in a crowded shopping centre seems like a bad deal to me

Lucky, they only seem to target shoppers and commuters, and not any of our revered leaders ..

23. dan1980

Protect the person who stuck their neck out for you

If you ask me, the correct response from, say, Germany, would be to grant Edward Snowden asylum.

Logistically I don't know how that would work but in principle, the message is a strong one - essentially saying that any whistle-blower in the NSA who makes it there will be protected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like