back to article What a twit: Obama aide FIRED for anonymous gov-bashing tweets

A senior White House official has been fired after he was unmasked as the man behind a widely followed Twitter account from which he dispensed insults and sarcastic remarks about public figures and government policies. Jofi Joseph – who served on President Barack Obama's National Security staff and was reportedly part of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tekHedd

Parody

Technically, calling Sarah Palin "white trash" is not parody*.

* parody: "a bad or unfair example of something" --Merriam-Webster

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Parody

So calling Obama an idiot Kenyan is not parody either ? But calling Palin 'white trash" actually says more about you than her...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But calling Palin 'white trash" actually says more about you than her...

You may be American - the Brits have a long standing tradition of sending up political figures, and IMHO rightly so.

1. Trixr

Actually, it's not just the Brits who send up political figures - have you seen American "roasts"? They do it to their FACES.

2. Trixr

Oh FFS. Obama isn't a "Kenyan", birther.

2. The Dude
      Happy

Sarah Palin is a hot-looking babe, not white trash at all!

1. Stevie

Re: Sarah Palin is a hot-looking babe

That's menopausal hot flushing. I'd stand clear if I were you.

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

Sarah Palin is a hot-looking babe, not white trash at all!" Perhaps but it's what you cannot see, like education and intelligence and what comes out of her mouth that is disturbing. Apparently some Republicans have started to see it too.

3. Smallbrainfield

"Sarah Palin is a hot-looking babe, not white trash at all!"

No. Just no.

3. Gannon (J.) Dick

The attorneys for white and the attorneys for trash are both joining the defamation suit.

4. teebie

It's a grave insult to discarded polystyrene.

2. Don Jefe

Slagging off on your employer in public is never a good idea. That being said, making fun of and insulting the shitsocks in DC certainly isn't a big deal. You could probably make a well liked Twitter feed or blog simply by quoting those asshole and making it a game to identify the origin of the comments.

Those people are such ridiculous clowns they actually need to do some investigation into their own actions and fire themselves. Nothing this guy did is any worse than what the politicians do to themselves.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

I wonder who elected them.

3. Eddy Ito

"after he was unmasked"

The NSA strikes another blow for to freedom.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You say that, but if you start allowing free speech and criticism of the government they will want free association , free elections, no taxation without representation and we could lose an entire colony!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

LOL.

More seriously, it's not that the government that allows free speech - that is an unalieanable human right. In reality, governments are trying their best to take away those rights (whilst ptretetnding otherwise).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You say that, but if you start allowing free speech and criticism of the government they will want free association , free elections, no taxation without representation and we could lose an entire colony!" of tax dodging tea smugglers, offered a lower tax rate than was the case across the rest of the world but choosing not to pay it. Do Amazon & Google have honourable antecedents?

2. Tom 13

@ Eddy Ito

This would have been a DoJ operation. It's a different branch of The Most Transparent Administration Ever (TM pending).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not wrong about Benghazi by any means, the US propaganda about that incident was quite shocking.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/09/us-consulate-benghazi-attack-challenge

5. chris lively

"Month long investigation"

Something stinks here. How in the world would it take them a month to figure out who was doing this?

I thought the NSA was tapping every phone call, text and email message. That they were tied into google, Microsoft, Twitter, FB and others. If so, then why didn't they know exactly who this person was within seconds of deciding to look for them?

Either they are far more incompetent than previously thought or snowden's leaks are just crap designed to scare people.

*not bothering with being anonymous as they probably couldn't figure out who I was anyway.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

10 days to think of an acronym for the operation

10 days to go through corporate services to get a meeting room

7 days tryign to get the meeting to show up on everyone's Outlook calender

1 days arguing about which pizza to order for the meeting

30secs to ask the network admin whodunnit

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Thumb Up

10 days to think of an acronym for the operation

10 days to go through corporate services to get a meeting room

7 days tryign to get the meeting to show up on everyone's Outlook calender

1 days arguing about which pizza to order for the meeting

30secs to ask the network admin whodunnit

You must have the US equivalent of PRINCE2 certification :)

2. Don Jefe

It's the same reasons it takes them years to catch large scale drug dealers and other criminals. They aren't really interested in stopping a given activity, they're interested in trying to build an iron clad case. They expend more effort in paperwork than they ever do in catching people. It's founded in good principal, but they go way overboard with it.

1. Charles 9

They go overboard with it because, by the 6th and 7th Amendments, they only get ONE chance at it, and since some of their evidence may be tossed, they need to be sure they still have enough to make the case stick. It's not so much "going overboard" as "overabundance of caution".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, duh.

Someone is slagging off an employer who is at the heart of most intercept scandals in the world and yet they didn't see that one coming? Incredible.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Calling a number of my colleagues bastards...

was absolutely unforgivable. My only excuse was it was true'.

John Major, 1993.

Jofi Joseph, 2013.

8. lansalot

wow

It took them months to unmask him? Bit of a fail for the NSA then...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The art of invective lives, even in Washington!

'...called senior White House advisor Valerie Jarrett a "vacuous cipher"'.

My man!

"Vacuous cipher"... that's good. I must remember that and use it often. He's keeping alive the tradition of Mark Twain, whose excellent sayings include (for instance):

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like