back to article IBM thrusts mighty cloud erection at US gov after Amazon beds CIA spies

IBM is building a US government cloud center in Washington DC to win over public-sector tech buyers. The pork barrel procurement barn Federal Cloud Innovation Center was announced by Big Blue on Tuesday. The IT giant will chain – "align" – some 500 technical experts to its erection in the capital and show off its platform-as-a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fuggedaboutit

Losers

Seriously, Register. Can you write a headline without sexual innuendo? Are you THAT desperate for page veiws?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Losers

Hi and welcome to the site: poking fun at tech is what we do. And no, life isn't about page views.

C.

1. TheVogon

Re: Losers

"And no, life isn't about page views."

That was a statement worthy of the NSA. What he means is that it is all about advert clicks...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So host your business on their cloud knowing if the slightest thing goes wrong, the FBI will be all over it. Heck, they might even go through the info on a regular basis to make sure nothing is wrong.

I'll pass thanks. America just isn't as appealing to me anymore.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Boffin

Ohh careful, you might get downvoted for seditious comments like this.

But essentially, you are exactly right. There have been some of us saying for years that the cloud is NOT safe. Then we find out the US gov has been slurping EVERONE'S data, but especially the sitting duck data centers, and yet people still insist the cloud is safe.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

IBM and Oracle

Still surprised that these two haven't just gotten it over with and just merged into one large company. They seem like the perfect match:

Both hate Open Source unless they are developing it

Both build machines using proprietary processor designs locking you into their OSes and platforms

Both have a penchant for ridiculous interface connectors

Both are obsessed with big-iron monstrosities.

4. D Moss Esq

IBM need help ...

... from Stephen Fry, http://www.dmossesq.com/2013/10/cloud-computing-and-sizzling-stephen-fry.html

Only he can provide the historical perspective and the technical grasp of evocon (evolutionary economics) which Amazon so obviously possess and which has eluded IBM in the first 100 years of its existence.

5. ecofeco Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I have mixed feelings about this

Knowing what I know about IBM, I don't whether to be worried they are cozy with the spooks, or glad because they are ultimately the masters of bureaucratic boondogglery and will render any data and process useless.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like