back to article Snap-happy blogger babe posts catcalling blokes' mugshots online

A photo-blogger has plastered the mugs of creepy cat-calling men all over the interwebs. Hannah Price, from Philadelphia, decided to post shots of men she claims shouted lewd comments at her in the street. The photographer's website has now received so many hits it has crumbled under the pressure. In an interview with web …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

It must get really, really boring

Essentially it is a caveman mating call, but we're not in caveland any more. I imagine it feels intrusive if strangers constantly feel they have the innate right to judge and comment on your external biological arrangement. And somewhat lame and boring too.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: It must get really, really boring

Judging by some of what goes on in our world I certainely would not say that some people have moved past the Caveman stage.. ( Or should that be CavePerson).

One of the difficulties in this situation lies in the fact that the cat calling is actually a compliment. .

>right to judge and comment on your external biological arrangement

This is actually one of our more primal instincts and nothing will ever change that fact, personally I hope I never stop being attracted to women because of their "external biological arrangement". Nature is full of beautiful things, women are part of nature.....

Cat calling, or wolf whistling, might be a little stupid but I would definately not call it demeaning.

Should we stop all forms of compliments to unknown women ?. Should we also stop smiling, holding the door open etc... For me this is another case of being unnecassarily PC. It is a minor act performed by a very small minority.

This woman is likely to do far more damage then those men.

1. Psyx

"Cat calling, or wolf whistling, might be a little stupid but I would definately not call it demeaning."

As a guy who doesn't suffer it, that's not a call you get to make for the opposite gender.

"Should we stop all forms of compliments to unknown women ?"

Generally, yes. It's intimidating and can be extremely threatening if done in private or -for example - on a dark street.

"Should we also stop smiling, holding the door open etc."

You are comparing an apple and an orange. Shouting "Nice tits!" across a road is rather different to smiling to someone who serves you, or holding a door open.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>As a guy who doesn't suffer it, that's not a call you get to make for the opposite gender.

I can't think of any reason for which men can't be on the receiving end. You personally might not but this is definately not a gender specific issue.

>"Should we stop all forms of compliments to unknown women ?"

By including "in private - on a dark street." This completely changes the context which has no bearing to my intial question/remark.

>You are comparing an apple and an orange. Shouting "Nice tits!" across a road is rather different to smiling to someone who serves you, or holding a door open.

As I previously mentioned Cat-Calling where I am from is usually guys whistling at women, you have pushed the barrier much further and moved into another context.

>We can't cater to that without causing offence to the majority of others. So their fragile little ego is going to have to learn to cope without morons publicly objectifying them.

Ah, so you pick and choose what you cater too according to what ? I honestly don't imagine that it is the "majority" of women that suffer from CatCalling either, so we probably shouldn't cater to them either. You are delibarately picking and choosing your victims, it's either one law for everone or for no-one.

>Some women might quite like being groped in public.

And now you have really upped thte game and we are suddently talking about groping women.. That is a far cry from a guy whistling across the street and completely out of context.

>Street harassment is a problem. Not for me or you, but to a lot of quite timid women who just happen to look pretty, it is a revolting and unpleasant experience.

Please define the word "harrassement" it is a vague term which I am sure you would be unable to define in a manner in which everyone would eventually be capable of stating that they suffer from it.

Timid people suffer from timidity, any public exposure will create a problem for them ,I think it would be extremely rare that a timid person was cat called after, they usually do not portray the kind of characters that interest CatCallers. Again timid people are a minority, according to your remarks we should not cater for the minority.

>It is NOT cool to shout compliments at strangers.

No one is saying it is cool, those are your words.

>So what your saying is that because some women quite like being treated like trash and pieces of meat it should be ok to publicly treat all women like that?

Again you are using your own words to describe what you "think" is in the mind of someone else, major mistake.

I have never seen anyone pay a compliment to or whistle after someone that they consider as a piece of trash or a piece of meat. This is pure conjecture on your behalf.

1. Eddy Ito

"Again you are using your own words to describe what you "think" is in the mind of someone else, major mistake.

And yet you don't think it's a mistake to make overly broad statements based on your opinion such as; "Timid people suffer from timidity... timid people are a minority". I claim you have no way of knowing. Further, I claim you would have no way to know if a timid person was merely making a catcall or wolf whistle just so he would be seen as 'fitting in' with his 'boys'. Also, I don't think you quite understand the problem.

I have never seen anyone pay a compliment to or whistle after someone that they consider as a piece of trash or a piece of meat. This is pure conjecture on your behalf.

No, I'm sure the people in your circle only catcall and whistle at people they hold in the highest esteem because that's the most respectful way to communicate and get a woman's attention. Then again, perhaps they don't have a pair big enough to walk over and introduce themselves in a civilized manner that isn't threatening.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>Timid people suffer from timidity

Ok then in your book timid people suffer from what exactlly if it is not timidity?

>Timid people are a minority

They are certainely not a majority, or at least not in the world that I live in and because of the work and activity then I am involved in I meet many varying people from many varying backgrounds everyday.

>No, I'm sure the people in your circle only catcall and whistle at people they

1st I do not belong to the group of people that Catcall or Whistle at others.

>that's the most respectful way to communicate and get a woman's attention

If thats the only way in which some people can gain attention from others then so be it.

>Then again, perhaps they don't have a pair big enough to walk over and introduce themselves in a civilized manner that isn't threatening.

Not all men were born Casanovas

Todays PC brigade have become experts at knee jerk reactions whereby the commonest of actions is to be condoned. As the saying goes people that live in glass houses.........

I have never met anyone that is perfect and that has nothing to hide. On relative scales everyone is a wrong-doer to someone else. Listending to some of the comments and reactions aI am surprised that many of you have not requested for capital punishment to be reintroduced.

The fragility of many people today is becoming frightening. For some strange reason they seem to expect to ive in some kind if utopia witht eh angels.... Unfortunately man is an animal, he is a hunter and gatherer that must struggle inorder to survive. His instincts will always resurface no matter how hard you try and push them down.

I do not particulary condone the behaviour of the CatCallers but I certainely do not condone the behaviour of the PC brigade that would rather stifle anything that remotely resembles some harmelss fun..

Of course the typical knee jerk reaction is to find the most extreme and rare case possible and exemplify it in order to make ones case. Fortunately for the rest of mankind those extreme cases are just that extreme and rare.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"I do not particulary condone the behaviour of the CatCallers but I certainely do not condone the behaviour of the PC brigade that would rather stifle anything that remotely resembles some harmelss fun.."

Ask your mother, sister, female friends if they have ever been catcalled - which by the way is no longer simply a wolf whistle these days. Cat calling is intimidating to the recipient, the men who cat call know this by the reaction they get (walking faster, looking away, hunching shoulders, etc).

As a man you don't experience this, you have no idea what it feels like. The men, young, middle aged or old, are bigger than me, if they don't like my reaction what will they do? This is the thoughts reported by women who have started saying, "I have every right to walk down the streets of my community without feeling harrassed and intimidated."

This is not harmless fun for us! and while some may enjoy the attention (or pretend to to avoid an unpleasant reaction) the truth is very few women are flattered by the attention.

If you wouldn't like it happening to your sister or mother, don't stand by when it happens to a stranger.

1. Eddy Ito

If you wouldn't like it happening to your sister or mother, don't stand by when it happens to a stranger.

I'm afraid it's a waste of time AC, I don't think he would care. There is a point when sociopathic problems like misogyny simply don't allow a person to differentiate between treating someone with respect and subjecting them to public ridicule through objectification. It's much the same as not knowing bullying from just joking around. It likely stems from an upbringing that blames women for all of man's ills, as most religions do, combined with 1950s ideals of outgoing children living in a suburban myopia never to be exposed to the world outside where cultures and people's attitudes vary. Empathy, some people have never heard of it and they wouldn't be caught dead walking so much as a yard in someone else's shoes.

To be honest, I can almost understand the sheltered upbringing bit since I had an aunt who died in the late 90s, both her 90s and 1990s. To her last day she simply couldn't understand what was wrong with calling someone a nigger and she just blamed folks for being too sensitive if they took offense. I guess the equivalent of "too sensitive" today is being part of the "PC brigade".

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@ADG ( Quote from wikipedia - It says precisely how I see what contemporary society is moving towards)

Historians now regard the Victorian era as a time of many contradictions, such as the widespread cultivation of an outward appearance of dignity and restraint together with the prevalence of social phenomena such as prostitution and child labour.

In relation to the world population, I agree. But with something like an "increase of 200 000 people per day, it is quite obvious that the primal instinct to is a strong as ever. Unfortunately the growing lack of resources does not worry many of the worlds population..... They have problems controlling their instincts.....

@Eddy Ito

>I guess the equivalent of "too sensitive" today is being part of the "PC brigade".

You have summed it up perfectly..... ironic that same "PC Brigade", "Too sensitive" crowd usually also belong to the religious crowd that you mentioned further up.

>To her last day she simply couldn't understand what was wrong with calling someone a nigger

Calling someone a name means nothing, what is important is how those words are used. The word nigger, although socially acceptable many years ago has now become taboo. The fact the word has become taboo though does not change the attitudes of those that use/used it, and this noes not necassarily mean that their attirude was negative or derogatory..

I grew up using the word "handicapped" to describe those with a disability, today they have been given the title "mobility challenged" or something similar. Has that changed changed anything about the way that I see those people, of course it hasn't...... My attitude has not changed, only the words. Apparently today it would be a social faux pas to call someone handicapped.

Now think about those who are catcalling, do they really want the woman, to "show her tits" as mentionned above. Of course they don't. From what I have seen and experienced it has never been more than idle banter or fun. OK, there may exist etreme cases but the extreme cases are no longer catcalling....it then moves into the realm of psychological disturbance or similar, which is not this issue of this article.

The PC Brigade will keep pushing issues like this because they believe that it will resolve what exactly ? Contemporary society has far more important issues to worry about than issues like this.

2. Bronny

You know, I don't know if I'm just becoming more repulsed by your justifications or you are just blossoming and allowing us to see more of the inner workings of the Khaptain mind.

"If thats the only way in which some people can gain attention from others then so be it.

>Then again, perhaps they don't have a pair big enough to walk over and introduce themselves in a civilized manner that isn't threatening.

Not all men were born Casanovas"

Let me give you a little advice from a woman (I know, in real life we talk at a frequency you can't hear so you never listen, but perhaps you may read) - calling out anything to a woman (apart from "watch out you're about to get run over!") is not a successful or acceptable way to get her attention and particularly not to chat her up. We will look at you as if you are a creep (for that is what you are) and every orifice will close up to prevent any possible contamination from such a slimy git.

There, advice over, continue...

"I do not particulary condone the behaviour of the CatCallers but I certainely do not condone the behaviour of the PC brigade that would rather stifle anything that remotely resembles some harmelss fun.."

Ah, so if it's fun for you it's okay, but if it's not fun for us we have to shut up because we're the PC Brigade? Really?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Bronny,

You sound like a very reasonable person, which would you like to bring back first, hanging or decapitation ?

1. Allan George Dyer
                    Trollface

@Khaptain, "which would you like to bring back first, hanging or decapitation". Really, that is your response to Bronny's detailed concerns with your previous comments?

I'm sorry everyone, I've been feeding a troll.

3. Eddy Ito

"Ok then in your book timid people suffer from what exactlly if it is not timidity? They are certainely not a majority, or at least not in the world that I live in and because of the work and activity then I am involved in I meet many varying people from many varying backgrounds everyday."

First, understand what an ellipsis is and what it is used for. You claim you know what "the majority" of people are and/or how they feel. I called you out on it because you can't possibly speak for "the majority" if you can't back that up it's bullshit and clear that the cloistered world that you live in must only consist of clones or people afraid to disagree with you. Peer pressure makes people do a lot of stupid things, including catcalling, and perhaps you don't understand that but that doesn't make it less real.

"1st I do not belong to the group of people that Catcall or Whistle at others."

But if it's perfectly acceptable behavior, if not expected seeing as how we're all animals anyway, why do you refrain? If it isn't perfectly acceptable, why do you defend it? Could it perhaps be that you feel it a bit too juvenile? Is it beneath you? What's wrong with letting your inner ape take over? It couldn't be that you're afraid people will think less of you so what other reason could there be? I'm sure the missus would understand, so why not? It's Ok if you don't, it's not hypocritical at all but it is rather peculiar.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Bronny.

It appears that the world is a very hostile place for you, personally I can't change that for you nor am I responsable for that, it is actually a very hostile world for all of us. Unfortunately your comment reads like a rant, you express yourself as though you speak for all women, which is not the case ( Eddy doesn't like that idea either).

The general attitude that you give is one of an extremely angry person, no-one can ever hope to discuss anything with any angry person, hence my complete lack of desire to reply to your remarks.

@ADG

Please read back through the various comments and I believe that you will find that the many of the comments were blown out of proportion, citing examples that were not within the context of the article. Again as I mentioned above, far too many times I was replied with examples of the most extreme cases which completely construes the context.

Up until the Bronny "remarks" I read and accepted your statements in an honest manner, I would not consider that as being a troll.

Far too many of the remarks from Bronny and Eddy are skewed in a manner in which they would rather imply something about my character rather than actually construct an argument, it says more about them that it does about me.

@Eddy

Personal insults or their inference do not help your argumentation.

Je vous laisse à vos pensées, bon soirée.

1. Eddy Ito

@Khaptain,

I've implied nothing about your character but only tried to point out what you have already implied through your own words. If holding a mirror to your words insults you, 對不起.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

不需要对不起,我不是侮辱。

1. Eddy Ito

LOL, I never said you were trying to insult me. Either head back to google translate and tell them they were wrong, stick to English, expand your horizons beyond your little world or 草泥馬.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>expand your horizons beyond your little world

You really can't help yourself can you....

Avez vous, pour un seul moment, reflechi sur la fait que, peut-etre, l'anglais n'est pas ma langue principal ?

1. Eddy Ito

Google Translate est censé faire mieux allant de français au chinois? Je ne le pense pas.

Ou êtes-vous sous-entendez que parler français vous rend plus mondain que d'autres?

2. Bronny

Strewth....a Daily Mail reader personified. It must be exhausting rationalising your behaviour like this, despite people telling you that your assumptions are wrong :-

1) No-one has said that men don't get sexually harrassed - it's on a very different scale to that experienced by women but is still relevant. This article is about a women calling out men though. Stay on topic.

2) This sort of harassment (calling out names, insiduous touching up, groping, whistling, etc) happens at any time if the day. When you're feeling rough with a hangover, on the bus, in a dark alley, at night, in nightclubs, anywhere and everywhere. You are the one applying limits.

3) Since complicated words are confusing you, let's call it all harrassment, since that's what it is. It includes whistling, touching, groping and the shouting out of actions or even parts

4) Yes, read Everyday Sexism (have you bothered?) and you'll see every age of women and every type of woman has been affected in one way or another. Don't make assumptions. This isn't just about someone tottering along in a short skirt and high heels, it's going to the corner shop in no make-up and trackie bottoms, it's in school uniforms, it's while holding your child's hand.

5) No, groping is not out of context, it's right in the middle of the context. I know so many women who will say they were on the bus or tube and thought they might have been touched up (or had body parts pressed against them unncessarily) but they were so shocked that they tried to convince themselves it hadn't really happened because civilised people don't behave like that. But they do.

6) Yes timid people get shouted at, as do mouthy ones, and old oens and young ones, and those with big boobs and those with small boobs, it is never ending. Stop trying to tell us what happens, try listening!

Lsten, for once, just bloody listen and stop trying to convince yourself that your behaviour is acceptable.

3. Psyx

"As I previously mentioned Cat-Calling where I am from is usually guys whistling at women, you have pushed the barrier much further and moved into another context."

If you think that there is much difference between wolf whistling and shouting 'nice tits', you're very much mistaken.

Like I said: You're an insensitive, sexist bloke, so you don't get to decide anyway.

"Ah, so you pick and choose what you cater too according to what ?"

According to the people who are being upset, rather than the minority who don't.

Duh.

Seriously: You're simply wrong, ignorant, and out of touch. Just look at your down-votes and speak to a cross-section of the other gender on their views on street harassment: Make yourself a better man.

2. Bronny

Are you a woman? No? Then you don't get to decide what is demeaning or not, regardless of your intentions. Thsi is not unncessarily PC, believe me. Try reading Everyday Sexism to see the degree and the never ending stream of comments, calls, gropes, pathetic, creepy offensive behaviour. In fact, try being a woman for a day and then you get to decide what it feels like to have soemone wind down their window and shout out "nice tits love", or to be told in a meeting your momentary lack of recall is a "blonde moment".

This woman is not doing more damage than these creepy men, but your response doesn't do anything for your gender.

2. Allan George Dyer

I disagree, cat-calling doesn't usually occur where there is opportunity or expectation of further interaction. A chat-up line is a mating call. Cat-calls are often used by males in a group. I would interpret cat-calls as a combination of territorial claim, group bonding, and intimidation/threat to outsiders.

We may all be culture-shocked savannah apes, but is that a reason to tolerate group intimidation?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>I would interpret cat-calls as a combination of territorial claim, group bonding, and intimidation/threat to outsiders.

Maybe we have a different understanding of Cat Calling. Where I am from Cat Calling is stereotypically what would be expected rom a building worker who sees a good looking woman on the other side of the street and whistles, in a particular manner, to attract her attention. He is hoping that she will react positively even though he knows he doesn't have a chance of picking her up, its a harmless game really... He is being masculine, she is being feminine etc etc One of the Coca Cola ( coke light I think) ads uses the opposite scenario in one of their ads. ( I think it is office women and men window washers, there are several different ads)

I don't recognize any "territorial claim, group bonding, and intimidation/threat " in that. Unless of course we are talking about two completey different scenarios...

1. Allan George Dyer

OK, there is a wide range of behaviour, and perhaps cat-calling does gradually fade into chat-up lines at one end of the gradient. However, even your Coca Cola ads feature group behaviour, and, if the call doesn't increase the chances of a pick-up, then it can't be a mating call. It does alert other members of the group, and seeks to increase status within the group ("look what I've found", "see, she recognises my power"). The ad-men are also being deliberately manipulative in the scenario... it's not overweight, middle-aged office women, but the real-life scenario?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

For the moment the only thing discussed is women/men who do not accept Call Calling.

What about the people that actually do find it acceptable, the women that feel flattered, the men that accept the attention, who then in turn respond favorably to the attention ..

I agree that Coca Cola, like most advertising, are being manipulative but they are suing techniques for which they know that the masses will respond. That doesn't mean to say they are correct but it is hard to deny that the fact that they do know their audience. They are appealing to some very basic instincts and they are usually very successful with it..

>It does alert other members of the group, and seeks to increase status within the group ("look what I've found", "see, she recognises my power")

I agree in principal with your argument but you mention it as though it is a bad thing.......We are only animals after all.

1. Allan George Dyer

It is not a game if there is no choice whether to participate. Ignoring a comment aimed at you that you obviously heard is recognised as a response, so the target has no choice about participation.

Some men enjoy boxing as an expression of their masculinity, is it acceptable for me to walk down the street punching men in the face because some might appreciate the attention? No, we have boxing matches where all participation is voluntary. We have other events, such as wet T-shirt contests, that people who appreciate cat-calls can enter.

We are not only animals, we are the story-telling chimpanzee, that changes the world through our stories. We have more effective responses to exciting situations than screaming, jumping up and down and throwing shit.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@AGD

Again I agree in principal with some of your arguments, but

>It is not a game if there is no choice whether to participate. Ignoring a comment aimed at you that you obviously heard is recognised as a response, so the target has no choice about participation.

As soon as we walk within any public place we are subjected to such actions. It might be kids making fun of the colour of your coat, a passerby smiles at you in order to convey his happiness, a group of skinheads who scowl because you walk to quickly ...... There are a million occasions in which you have no choice about participation. It's part of living in society, we have no control over these events. The world would be a very boring place if we did.

>We are not only animals, we are the story-telling chimpanzee, that changes the world through our stories. We have more effective responses to exciting situations than screaming, jumping up and down and throwing shit.

Agree, we are highly evolved animals but our evolution did not change our primal instincts, they have always remained. The survival of our species depends on only one vital instinct, procreation. There needs to be an attraction between the opposite sexes. There will always be mating calls and rituals of one kind or another, they are part of the pro-creation rituals.

The mating rituals may differ in relation to social upbringing and what is acceptable for one might not be acceptable for the other.

Where do you define the line between what is accetable and what is not. ( I do agree that there has to be limits but it is an extremely difficult task to define them)

CatCalling = non-acceptable

? = acceptable

@Rosey

I presume that you are simply speaking for yourself... I am not convinced that the whole of woman-kind would agree. Some women loath the idea of being completely ignored... There's plenty of bimbos/starlets/wanabees that can testify to that...

I think that what is worrying is contemporary societies, western, ironic refusal of anything like Sharia law but at the same time it's acceptance/revival of Victorian values.

1. Psyx

"Some women loath the idea of being completely ignored... There's plenty of bimbos/starlets/wanabees that can testify to that..."

So what your saying is that because some women quite like being treated like trash and pieces of meat it should be ok to publicly treat all women like that?

2. Allan George Dyer

@Khaptain, sure, we are subject to many interactions without choice but the society we build together forms a consensus on what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't. There's a scale, some behaviour is classified as criminal, some is subject to group disapproval, some is welcomed. Personally, I think that non-consenual targeted behaviour that I know most targets find intimidating should be discouraged, and, from the other comments and votes here, many seem to agree with me. Your views seem like a throwback to a time when women were seen as subordinate to men.

"only one vital instinct, procreation" Hmm, I suspect our survival at the moment depends on suppressing our basic instincts to grab as much food/resources as we can, and to use the biggest weapon we can find against anyone who tries to stop us, in favour of efficient resource allocation and peaceful cooperation, but that is rather off topic.

Which Victorian values were you thinking of? The child labour, women as husband's property, the dark, satanic mills, or stealing entire countries? The manners and polite society were available only to the privileged few. Being able to walk along the street without feeling threatened should be available to everyone.

3. LeeH

Seem to be a lot of people in modern society who only date through online dating sites and who consider real world (non virtual world) attempts to meet a mate as being weird. The modern world has moved ahead us, Khaptain. The old world, the one where we approach people in person, is much more fun.

4. Bronny

I'm pretty sure Rosey is speaking for most women, pretty much certain it's most women you'll ever meet. You are setting back male evolution decades with your sad, sad attempt attempt at justifying shouting things at women.

"CatCalling = non-acceptable

? = acceptable"

Nothing, nothing is acceptable to shout out at women. You may not have evolved past Orang Utan but most of us high functioning men and women can manage whole hours at a time without feeling the need to bellow out across the street to someone about their pert arse or where I'd like to stick my tongue.

2. Psyx

"What about the people that actually do find it acceptable, the women that feel flattered, the men that accept the attention, who then in turn respond favorably to the attention ."

We can't cater to that without causing offence to the majority of others. So their fragile little ego is going to have to learn to cope without morons publicly objectifying them.

reductio ad absurdum (and I admit that this is a very extreme example): Some women might quite like being groped in public. Therefore if we want to grope a woman in public we should be allowed to, because some people might enjoy it.

Street harassment is a problem. Not for me or you, but to a lot of quite timid women who just happen to look pretty, it is a revolting and unpleasant experience. It is NOT cool to shout compliments at strangers.

1. Bronny

Nice comment but can I just point out that this doesn't affect just timid women. It affects young girls, old women, brave and mouthy women too. But while you are pondering about the day's work, or thinking about your elderly granny, or even if just trying to cross the road and some git shout something out, or gropes you on the bus we can all be knocked back into shock and silence.

It's geneuinely shocking to hear some of the comments, but it can be physically shocking to have a strangre shouting at you (regardless of content) and you mentally reel, and even the quickest of us can dry up with a smart retort because of fear or shock.

3. Bronny

Please....please tell me there aren't a whole pile of these offensive posts from you all the way down this thread. These techniques are not usually successful. Or at least they are only successful in making young girls and women worried, grimy and depressed about some of the men in this country. Don't worry, we've already written you off as a waste of space and DNA.

2. frank ly

@Khaptain Re: It must get really, really boring

If you were walking down the street where you live, where your 'community' is, the place you call home; then imagine someone called out to you, "Hey cute buns, nice ass you got there, wanna come and sit on my dick?"

I'm sure you'd have a little 'secretly pleased' smile on your face and be happy that you were still attractive enough to induce sexual desire in a man. Remember, it's a compliment.

3. Rosie Davies

Khaptain, it is intimidating. It is not complimentary, flattering or reassuring. It is threatening and unpleasant.

Rosie

4. Bronny

The calls are not aimed at you, perhaps that is why you don't recognise any "territorial claim, group bonding, and intimidation/threat " in that. But, unless you are working to help reduce them it doesn't matter what you think, it's what it feels like to have them made to you. *You* are not the important one here, sorry to break the news.

2. Chairo
    Thumb Down

In more civilised times

the perpetrator was pilloried on the market place and after a few days it was over.

Nowadays your life is destroyed by a single thoughtless action, put on the internet by another thoughtless person.

Doesn't matter, if the victim of internet revenge is male or female. A victim he/she is nonetheless.

I wonder how many careers and lifes will be destroyed by this "artist".

The art of victimising. Quite some form of expression, isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In more civilised times

I wonder how many careers and lifes will be destroyed by this "artist".

The art of victimising. Quite some form of expression, isn't it?

Yup. There's such a thing as a punishment fitting the crime. Now, starting with the fact that the "crime" in many occasions is simply bad/idiotic behaviour - and that there appears to have been no attempt at correcting said behaviour by warning the person in question - this "punishment" appears to equal chopping someone's hand off for stealing a chocolate bar.

I'm perfectly OK with having people told off for something that is not appreciated, but this is certainly not good. Worse, the effect of ruining people's lives is that such people then have nothing more to lose, and may thus turn on the person who enabled this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Worse, the effect of ruining people's lives is that such people then have nothing more to lose, and may thus turn on the person who enabled this.

On that, you can bet your life, just as someone did with me.

2. Kubla Cant

@Chairo: a single thoughtless action, put on the internet by another thoughtless person

It's a wise policy to bear in mind that things you do in public are ... public.

If the woman in the story is posting pictures of men who catcalled her in private, then she's invading their privacy. But if, as is probable, they did it in public, there's no privacy to invade.

In these days of ubiquitous camera phones, surveillance cameras and Google vans, the only way to ensure that something you do doesn't end up on the Internet is not to do it in public. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe not, but it's the way things are.

1. Eddy Ito

According to the video, the photographer merely turned around and snapped the pictures of the catcallers and they all appear to have been taken as if she had been walking down the street.

3. Psyx

"Nowadays your life is destroyed"

I've told you a zillion times: Don't exaggerate!

3. jake Silver badge

Bullies are bullies.

X and Y chromosomes don't really enter the picture.

4. rcorrect
    Facepalm

She certainly isn't anonymous

That has bad idea written all over it. My guess is the last thing she wants is more attention from these catcalling guys yet here she is sharing their pictures with the internet. And why the hell does she bring up race, is her head stuck in the past or something?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Welcome to the wonderful

post racial utopia that is the USA. </sarcasm>

And of course the only reason a women would complain about harassment is that she want the attention. (Sorry, I lied about stopping the sarcasm. Sometimes, faced with a certain sort of bone-headedness nothing else will do.)

5. Roo

I don't see why anyone should have their noses put out of joint by a girl putting their mugs on the internet, *if* their photographs were taken when they were in public view and the mugshots are presented 'as-is'. If they don't like the attention they should stop cat calling/wolf whistling/whatever they do to get a girl's attention in public.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Judge, jury and executioner - that's what's wrong with it. Although I'm the first to applaud efforts at dragging some men into an era which damages their knuckles less when they walk (because, by God, there are still enough of them out there), there is such a wide span for abuse there that it cannot but end in tears.

1. Roo

"Judge, jury and executioner - that's what's wrong with it."

There is no judge, jury, or executioner, that's the point.

*If* you are photographed/filmed addressing a member of the public in a public place you can not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. The qualifications I made in the original post are there for a reason, also I have not said whether I think this particular website is "right" or "wrong". I'd need a lot more information and time to make a fair call on that.

In general I think that offensive behaviour should be challenged, if only because sometimes it is genuinely unintended and in those cases the offender should be alerted to the harm they are causing and give them an opportunity to make good.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

out of Kilter

I went to a Scottish themed party in our local pub wearing a kilt last week. Five or six women felt that it was OK to feel up my kilt. What would have the reaction if a man did that to a women?

1. Velv

Re: out of Kilter

Being a regular wearer of the kilt I'll confirm the experience. It gets rather tedious, but it annoys Mrs V more than me (other ladies should not have their hand there - but the look of shock on their faces is fantastic when they actually find what they didn't think they would find). HOWEVER

"What would have the reaction if a man did that to a women? (sic)"

Well the point many women are making is that it DOES happen. And not in such a jovial way, but much more predatory.

1. Gav

"And not in such a jovial way, but much more predatory."

So it's ok if the predator is laughing at the time?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm a fairly regular kilt wearer and as a resident south of the boarder. The amount of women who try to feel up or lift up your kilt is truly shocking. It's not nice and it's not acceptable behaviour, that doesn't make it ok for men to sexually harass women though.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where can I buy a Kilt?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not okay for them to feel up your kilt, just as it wouldn't be okay for you to feel up a random woman's skirt.

Both genders should be able to complain about that sort of behavior and have it taken seriously.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Provoking.

I'm all for women being given the right to proceed down a road without having to interact with those they don't chose to.

She seems an intelligent creative sort who is not frightened to express her views.

She got me thinking, doubtless those who don't think will do what they do to try and understand the revised dynamic.

I don't think it is ruining someones life to post an image of them about some act in a public space, unless society considers that act questionable, then to me the problem is societies view of the act rather than the uncovering.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good on her.

That video however is nasty. Makes me travel sick and its a good thing I am not epilectic (sp?)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judge, jury and executioner

Two wrongs don't make a right.

1. Great Bu

Two wrongs don't make a right.

But three lefts do.

10. Crisp

Revenge

Starting a cycle of revenge is probably not the best way to settle this issue once and for all.

11. Jerky Jerk face

Wolf whistling girls used to be a compliment of sorts.

Im surprised it still happens, with all the shut in, stare at your phone all day types walking around. Actually its refreshing to know some men bark out loud!

12. Juillen 1

Measured response.

There is such a thing in the world as a measured and appropriate response.

Given that most of the gals I know find a whistle (or other light hearted compliment) to be generally amusing, and on the days they don't, they have a rather scathing (but funny) response, I don't see the problem.

It's not revenge porn being published (that stuff deserves to have people committed to a monastery where they'll not get any until they sort their heads out), but it has all the hallmarks of minority vigilante justice. You know, where the small subset of people decide to impose their own world view on a majority that has a different way of thinking. In this case, the end result of the imposition is a lessening of interaction, and a further isolation of people (most of the 'banter' interaction assumes that people are generally amiable sorts, and initiating the interaction leaves the initiator in a slightly vulnerable position; scathing comebacks often happen, and can leave the initiator red as a beetroot.. But that's accepted as a possible outcome).

Assuming people are generally friendly and amiable is a good thing. Far better than assuming people are hostile by default (which has increasingly been the case over the last 20 years or so), which can very easily lead to increasing social isolation (which is becoming rather a huge problem).

Things like this.. Well, it's broadcasting to a large audience (who have no idea of what was actually going on) a personal (and probably entirely skewed) view of a situation, conceivably causing problems for some of those 'shamed'. There is no determination of what the situation really is. No appropriate response, just an assumption that the writer is right, everything else is wrong, and that it's ok to play the victim card to get potentially heavy retaliation against whoever you choose.

There's a word for this, and it's called "Bullying". It's a far more clever and manipulative version of bullying than the stereotypical thug in the playground, but it's still definitely bullying.

Years ago, when I worked in a variety of bars, I did a little experiment and put a mirror to this kind of behaviour'. The banter of the women, and the light hearted swats and things were met with extremely terse and accusing responses. Without exception, it was met with bafflement, derision or in some cases upset that offense was caused (even though it wasn't in reality; it was a debate style stance). Women just didn't understand why it was 'wrong' to make contact when they chose, or to have a little verbal banter. They were correct, but most of them, if you turned it around, believed it would be inappropriate to subject a woman to that. The only reason that was brought up for why it'd be inappropriate for it to happen to a woman was "well, they're women". Most, however saw the point.

One memory that really still makes me chuckle was back in my cycling days when a car load of gals drove up a hill I was cycling up, and whistled and cheered at me.. Then they drove down the hill and back up with the explanation that they just had to get another look at my legs and arse... That made me laugh, feel a lot better about myself, and actually made an otherwise crappy day a lot better.

So, thank you to gals that know that it's ok to be friendly and have banter out of the blue. Thank you to people who reach out and have a laugh, and assume you're a friend they've never met. Long may that continue.

13. The Indomitable Gall

Art...?

" although the works of art that express an person’s opinions and ideas about other people will not be approached in the same way by a court as say, an assertion in a news article. "

So why don't you simply redesignate The Register as a piece of literary contemporary art and protect yourself from all further defamation/libel actions?

I mean seriously, am I allowed to satirise violence by punching someone? So why should anyone be able to satirise vigilante snap-sites with a vigilante snap-site?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Art...?

The video is not art. Most of the pictures are clearly posed and she made the story up around them, pure fiction

14. Smallbrainfield

The only thing I got from this is that parts of Philadelphia

look like bits of northern industrial towns here in the UK. Even down to the terraced streets, which is weird and looks out of place somehow in the good old US of A. Like someone plonked Coronation Street in the Fresh Princes old stomping ground (pre Bel-Air, of course).

I think this project is generally a good idea, especially if it provokes debate and maybe makes someone think twice before they make an unnecessary comment to a lady.

In my day you doffed your hat to a lady and left it at that. If she was interested she dropped a 'kerchief for you to retrieve and you went from there, chaperone permitting of course.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Re: The only thing I got from this is that parts of Philadelphia

When "The Wire" came on, I had to double check that the flats where D'Angelo held court (with that sofa incongruously sitting outside) weren't the flats I first lived in when I moved to Birmingham.

And the streets of Baltimore are a dead ringer for a part of Manchester (Santiago Street IIRC) where my brother stayed for a year, when he was at Uni ....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoooooaoaaooooaaaarrrrr!

Sorry.

Just clearing my throat...

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

It could be argued that anyone who isn't shy about screeching unprovoked innuendo & comments at passing women wouldn't be someone you'd think would be shy about getting their face out there on t'web.

I wouldn't be particularly happy if halfwits thought it was OK to remark on the size of my daughters breasts just "because they're there".

We're not cavemen anymore, hopefully actions like this might go some way to helping those that still are on the way to finally becoming extinct....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are far worse things than being cat-called

Not being cat-called for example. It might be unpleasant to some of them (yeah right pull the other one), they might call it unwanted attention (probably with a sly grin on their face) but I'd bet my shirt there'd be more complaints if it didn't happen. Looking at this from another angle this woman isn't so much as complaining as boasting. Now she's got even more attention she'll more than likely say she didn't want that either.

1. Lottie

Re: There are far worse things than being cat-called

Spot on!

All women really want to be cat called! Vulgar comments about their bodies, treating them as a piece of meat that intimidate more than anything else make us super happy! We don't feel degraded at all!

Or maybe it's actually not like that and you're an idiot?

Probably the latter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lottie, just to let you know I didn't down vote you which would be the obvious conclusion to jump to.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Don't even feed them Lottie, any interaction with a female counts in their book - whether that is yelling at women when they pass by or getting you to call them dirty names.

He'll be telling his mates he spoke to a girl tonight!! (via FB of course).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Aw come on now. If a bloke gets all dressed up he's out on the pull, to impress the ladies and he doesn't mind saying so. If a woman gets dressed up it's to "make her feel good about herself"??? What complete nonsense, she's out to get noticed and if no-one did she'd be sulking for weeks. The human race would die out if it were left to all you PC hippies, too afraid to call a spade a spade and make the first move just in case you caused offence by daring to talk to a member of the opposite sex.

And just for the record Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Diehard, I don't have a facebook account.

1. Franklin

"Aw come on now. If a bloke gets all dressed up he's out on the pull, to impress the ladies and he doesn't mind saying so. If a woman gets dressed up it's to "make her feel good about herself"??? What complete nonsense, she's out to get noticed..."

The fact that a woman might be dressing up for someone else--her boyfriends, say--doesn't mean she's dressing up FOR YOU.

"The human race would die out if it were left to all you PC hippies, too afraid to call a spade a spade and make the first move just in case you caused offence by daring to talk to a member of the opposite sex."

Not at all. It's not hard (well, it's not hard for people with working social skills) to tell whether or not someone is willing to have you make the first move.

Consent is sexy. Try it some time. You might be surprised how well it works.

18. nastybarsteward
    Thumb Down

Misleading title

"Snap-happy blogger babe posts catcalling blokes' mugshots online "

At the risk of sounding "cave-person" like, I really don't think that the word "babe" in the title is a fair description of the snap-happy Ms Price. Maybe her inner-ugliness is showing through.

19. bigtimehustler

At the end of the day, we are humans, we are designed to act in certain ways to certain situations. I am not quite sure why society thinks fighting against this will lead to a harmonious society, it is much more likely to lead a load of repressed people with feelings and desires they cant express bubbling up underneath.

The fact is, life is not designed to be pleasant for everyone 100% of the time. There are some women who enjoy the attention given to them and some men enjoy giving that attention, just as there are some men who dont like to act that way and some women that don't like the attention. Why do some people always seem to think that if they don't like something it should not happen, regardless of whether other people like it? Its the ultimate in selfishness.

20. Amorous Cowherder
    Holmes

Different levels

At first I was of the opinion that this was a very bad idea but when we discuss "catcalling" we think of the simple wolf-whistle, harmless and maybe flattering. The thing is, "catcalling" like "sexual assault" has different levels, ie sexual assault ranges from inappropriate language to full rape. Could be the same with "cat calling", it could range from a simple "Alright darlin' " to a full and graphic description of what the caller wants to do to the person being called out to which could make a young lady feel very vulnerable and afraid. When you start to consider what is going on in broader terms, what she's doing may not seem so bad.

21. disgruntled yank

take your pick

"Several women have used the web to batter men who they claim have abused, groped or otherwise harassed them on the basis of their gender. Projects like Everyday Sexism,.."

So is it gender or sex?

And "batter men"? With a gluten-free batter, perhaps? The whole sentence seems to have been produced by a hiccup in Google Translate.

22. Trevor 3

No Cat-calling?

Maybe they would like to be approached personally and face to face by these people then?

I can probably see that if 5 or 6 blokes cat-called at once could be a little bit scary, but would you rather them walk up to your face and say something?

What if its one guy cat-calling? What if he actually wants your number, and he is your ideal partner and all he is doing is trying to get your attention? Would you be happier if he ran over, stopped you in the street to get your number? Or would we get another "artist" taking photos and complaining that men kept approaching her personally, to her face? What if he couldn't get to you before you disappeared in the subway, or got on the bus or something?

What if they didn't whistle, but said "wow, you're gorgeous" loud enough for you to hear? Is that a cat-call?

What I am saying here is that life is not black and white. Its 50 shades of...wait hang on....life isn't black and white, its never that simple.

Us blokes have to get your attention somehow. And if you are on the other side of the street, we need to shout, or whistle or something.

Do we have to only meet you in certain places? What if you're not in those places? what if you're on the way to that place and we see you inbetween meeting places? Are we banned from getting your attention?

I'm playing devils advocate here, but come on. It'd be a pretty sad life if no-one commented on anything male, female, positively or negatively. We'd all be wondering around not daring to notice each other, eyes to the floor in case we saw something we didn't want to see, or did want to see but couldn't comment on in public..

I tell you this as well. Whistling is a damn sight easier and quicker than trying to shout something not deemed to be sexist:

"Excuse me madam, but you are looking especially radiant this morning and I wish to demonstrate my appreciation of your beauty, without feeling the need to interrupt your day further. Good morrow to you."

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm glad ..

.. I still live in a neighbourhood that doesn't have a problem with me calling my cat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm glad ..

Pusssssyyyyy!

Puss

Puss!

24. GT66

You can be certain that if it was a man like Brad Pitt or George Clooney or Prince William doing the cat calling, the "victim" would be gushing about it for weeks. Funny how women can adjust their sensibilities like that. I also find it odd that she would have a camera at the ready for such a quick and fleeting occurrence. Especially, since in all my years and having spent time in Philly, I never heard a catcall being shouted at any woman on the street (not that I doubt it happens) but TBH, if this woman gets so many that she can just snap, snap, snap away with her camera then she must look like the Seinfeld Oh'Henry candy bar heiress character walking down the street in a bra and open blazer. In other words, how do we know she isn't baiting?

Also, the slippery slope here (as with other picto-revenge projects that claim to be because of abuse or harassment) is the allegation of and conviction for a crime whose only occurrence is demonstrated by the photographer's after the fact rationalization. This person could be taking pictures of random people on the street and ascribing all sorts of behaviors to them that are simply untrue and then seeking out her own justice. This is vigilantism.

At least in the case of revenge porn, it is straight up harassment and can be dealt with as such. This on the other hand seeks to create a veneer of legitimacy intended to appeal to people's protective natures and cause them to dismiss the vigilantism with the typical, "He must have done something to deserve it" excuse that tends to accompany men being treated badly justification.

If these men *DID* do the behavior, let her go tol the police and submit her testimony, the picture and a complaint of harassment. Otherwise, she's no better than any other lynch mob.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Entrapment?

Artists generally put a lot of effort into preparing and setting up their projects. We know she has camera in hand, already powered up and ready to click... what are the odds that she is getting so many cat-calls because she has deliberately (un)dressed in such a way as to provoke as many cat-calls as possible for her project? We never get to see what she is wearing at the time the photos are taken.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

"Manly Men"

who think that women appreciate & delight in a bellowed innuendo, please try this social experiment.

When in your place of work, wolf whistle, shout compliments etc. to any female colleagues that walk by. How about just walking up to them & saying "nice blouse, it really shows off your tits" or similar compliments, or if words fail you just give a loud Sid James "Phwoar!" when they walk past your desk.

Especially do this to the smartly dressed ones, 'cos they're definitely up for it. Why else would they bother to scrub up eh?

They'll appreciate the fact that you did it face to face, so they can then get to know you better....

Then see if you can spot the next in this logical sequence - P42, P43, P44, P4?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look, it's not smart guys who make cat-calls, it's those of low intellect indicating they find a woman attractive (and in reality acknowledging that she is unobtainable for them). They know they stand no chance but doesn't stop them registering approval. Those guys won't be discouraged by having their photos on the internet, indeed it may be a matter of pride that someone has taken the trouble to identify them.

One of my wives (consecutive not concurrent) was pleased that in her 40s she could still, as she put it, "turn the lad's heads". She put a lot of effort into her appearance and was pleased when her efforts were appreciated. If a woman doesn't like cat calls she has a few strategies: dress down, avoid those areas of town or just disregard. Trying to "get back at them" is to play their game, to engage with them, the effect is to "continue the dialogue", something probably beyond the wildest dreams of the cat-caller. On the other hand, dress like a prostitute, stand at the roadside in certain areas of town and if you can't work out what the result might be you are a moron. Guys have different hazards to face, there are behaviours, words, looks, attitudes, dress styles that in the wrong situations can result in being beaten up. For example if a guy were to dress and act in an effeminate way and make an unsuitable choice of high-testosterone pub he could expect comments or violence.

The knee jerk reaction to "dress down" is "why should I" to which the answer is why go to the trouble of looking good if you don't want your effort to be recognised/appreciated? Or is it solely for your own gratification?

There are lines to be drawn in respect of sexual harrassment but defining it as "registering from a distance that you find a woman attractive" is pushing the line too far. I'd rate "uninvited physical contact" or a face to face crude proposition as beyond the pale but both seem normal practice in the more down-market night clubs and sought after or instigated by some females. I've seen short skirted no-underwear women and clearly adopting poses to make a sexual display - to what end? Were one to respond what next? Would any advances be rejected as harrassment - "just because I choose to dress and behave in a provocative manner doesn't mean I want to talk to a bloke" .

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A few weeks ago I had a couple of blokes putting up scaffolding outside one of my windows. After a few minutes I decided to record their shouts. What they were saying was really vile. Any woman that walked past got a shout of "hey sexy, bet you're good in the sack" or something similar, or they would shout at one another "bet you'd like to take her up the a***". Was truely shocking. Still thinking about sending the recording to the company they worked for.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Send it.

This topic is closed for new posts.